• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

No O Camp? :( (1 Viewer)

jennkei

Lurking Rambler
HSC
Heyla everyone,

Sorry if this seems like a redundant question, but somehow I was kind of hoping there'd be a camp, or some teambuilding-kind of situation, where we'll get to know people and all...I've trawled around, but it seems the closest would be camps that clubs might organise. Am I right that there's no general camp, then...?

I'm just slightly worried about being able to meet people (O Week seems like a series of rather isolated events XD) -- I usually need to be thrown into a situation where I have to be social, or I wouldn't actively try...sigh. Lousy, I am. :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Depends what faculty you're in, but engineering has a first year camp a few weeks in, as does commerce, and I'd imagine other faculties would too.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
imagine how many people would have to be accommodated at such a camp. thousands. that's impossible. thus some faculties, and societies have camps.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
you will meet people do not worry about that. I didn't meet any 'new' people in o-week but i met a few bosers such as stas :eek:. You will make friends mostly in your tutes/lectures

im fairly sure BOS (ie, susan [ujupelg - i didnt spell it right :eek:] or someone like ashton [JFK], stas [stazi] or me) will organise a meet-up for all it's usyd members during o-week sometime. It's a good way to meet people you already sort of have contact with, that's if you don't have any objections or cliche notions about meeting people off ze intranet :p

uni parties are very good. definently go to the party that will be at manning. Just go to all the social events.

comsoc has a camp
science society might have a camp
engineering has a camp
law has a camp

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah its important to know some people before parties though. most of us famous bosers will be at them (like beachball, etc) so this way you'll know people when you come. Also, an o-week meat will definitely happen.

sexy time.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
when I started they had a sleepover in manning during O-Week. If they had a general camp, for everyone, the it'd be for over 6000 students, and you probably would never see most of them again anyway!

What degree are you doing? some don't really need a camp, like in Vet, or at the Con, you get to know people quick smart since you're together all the time. They sound like a good idea though

Hey, can someone who went on one of these camps give me an outline of what happens - like where do you stay? what do you do? who Pays? how long are they for?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i co-organised the comsoc first year camp. we stayed on an island off the hawksberry river from memory. what did we do? got veeeery drunk. the students payed but we subsidised about 1/2 of the costs. our camp was for 2 (or was it 3) nights. Everyone loooved it

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
did you go during O-week? or before? how many people went?

thanks! I'm thinking of suggesting it to my fellow vetsoccers, although we do already do an o-day of our own... i totally would have gone in 1st year though.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i went on the camp with stas. it was 2 nights.

was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry funnnnnn

would definently recommend going on a camp

im gonna try get in again this year even though im not first year (i can just say i transferred to a diff degree so im technically first year all over again :eek:)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
about 50 people went from memory. we wanted more, but since it was the first camp eVaZ it was difficult to organise. it was in week 3.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
some faculty just hold like an info session for students to get to know each other... science has something called a transition workshop... which was rather valuable and get you off the friend list = 0 ground level

tho 10 bucks is bit of a rip i have to say...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
There is no first year camp as such, rather each faculty often has a first year extended bonding session of some kind - some have camps others just have a day or a cruise or something. If all the USyd first years were to be in one camp, there would be thousands!!

Yes, there will definatley be a BoS O-Week MeatUp - details to follow.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
we'll like even give you a tour and take you to the places you have classes after you print your timetable at this o-week meat. damn we're l33t.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
so aside from the obvious alcohol consumption, what do you do for 2-3 days on the camps? did you do it on the weekend of week 3? or were your classes spread out enough to have a few days off during the week?

What did you do for food etc? did you camp? like, people bringing theor own tents?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
uh no it was actual place with cabins etc, ran by some people who also served food to us in a cafeteria. Also had a volleyball net, a basketball court etc.

1st night we had a party in the cafeteria hall

2nd night we had a beach party.

jennkei

Lurking Rambler
HSC
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. :) I'm just whinging because I got a big enrolment pack from UQ (my backup plan) which includes this pretty brochure detailing -their- O Camp.

I'll be in Pharmacy. Not sure if they do the whole camp thing. I do know there seems to be some welcome bbq. I'll deal! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)