• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

non award help (1 Viewer)

nixy_00

HSC
ok so i was sick for when i had my english exam right, handed in the required paper work and then i get an email back from the co ordinater of english120 saying theres no point in me doing the exam because id missed 3 tutorials so i'd already failed my unit, when my tutor had spoken to me about this she said that although i had missed them it means i would fail my 10% participation not my actual whole unit. so wtf have i failed or is this horse sh i t or wat?

i have no idea wat to do now

im doing non award so i neeeed to pass it

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
It will say on the unit outline whether missing 3 tutorial classes equates to a failed unit. So read that.

If it doesnt mention anything of the sort (ie. your tutor was correct, not the co-ordinator), go and speak to the co-ordinator in person. If it doesnt resolve itself, you'll probably have to start some official complaint process (dont know the details).

Really, I doubt any of us will be able to help you. You should ring e-student or SES or something, and ask them for the official process...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, scan your unit outline, and if you can confirm its fail the 10% then talk to the co-ordinator. Otherwise, good luck, because I don't think you can do too much if its there.

buddys

HSC
i would still check the unit outline like mary jane and asylum have suggested.

but, if u fail one unit it is sort of ok - you can keep doing non award - but you cant fail another unit otherwise Mq wont accept you.

I had a similar problem last semester - i failed one of my units, even though i did 2 units this semester, i still need to do one more next semester to satisfy their requirement of passing 4 units before i can transfer into a BA.

Your best bet would be to ring and speak to the ladies at Centre for Open education - as they are responsible for non award.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I did engl120 too, and I've read in the unit outline that you'll fail class participation if you miss tutorials, not the actual whole unit. Who's your tutor, anyway? You should really speak to Antonina about this situation.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Alternatively, perhaps you needed the class participation to pass because your marks weren't great? Ie, you needed it to pass?

Can you post up the email that she sent?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
buddys said:
but, if u fail one unit it is sort of ok - you can keep doing non award - but you cant fail another unit otherwise Mq wont accept you.
This is a technical point, and not really directly related to the thread, but I thought you needed a pass-average, rather than a certain quota of Passes. So you could fail as many you liked, if you got D's/HDs in other subjects..

(And, to attempt to contribute something to this thread, do what everyone else has said -- read the unit outline, check the specific pass conditions, and show us the email you've been sent -- Rob has a good point).

Last edited:

buddys

HSC
Skittled said:
This is a technical point, and not really directly related to the thread, but I thought you needed a pass-average, rather than a certain quota of Passes. So you could fail as many you liked, if you got D's/HDs in other subjects..
well, i got a F and a D in sem 2 2005, and i went to the COE to transfer into the BA course as i was doing 2 units i knew i would pass this semester (sem 1 2006), but the lady said i need a GPA of 2.0 as well as pass 4 units - so even though my gpa was 2.0 i failed a unit which means that i need to pass one more unit next semester to transfer.

oh and an answer to what you said skittled - the lady also said that if i fail another unit, i wouldnt be accepted at mq the following semester :(

Last edited:

nixy_00

HSC
:( ok yeah so iread the outline and it says that u fail the 10% thingi. But seriously like exam period is majorly over and i cbf doing the exam cos id fail it anyway. So it looks like im going to go back next semester and do another unit and pass that. just go for one subject and work full time or soemthing, get some moooola saved up. thanks for ur help but anyways guys.

the only thing now - the hardest part is going to be telling my parents without them skitzing it at me, ill accept the fact ill probably have to pay for this one myself. but we get our results on the 18th of july right and the closing date for late non award applications for 2nd semester is the 14th. crappp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)