Non-Award Study - anyone do it? (1 Viewer)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Hello folks,

Does anyone out there do Non-Award Study as a pathway to a degree or to a diploma? I want to know more about it but the website is so confusing, so maybe someone out there who does it may be able to explain it to me.

Thanks,
Mani

X

xeuyrawp

manifestation said:
Hello folks,

Does anyone out there do Non-Award Study as a pathway to a degree or to a diploma? I want to know more about it but the website is so confusing, so maybe someone out there who does it may be able to explain it to me.

Thanks,
Mani
Ok, pretty simple.

You do around three or four units from the non-award booklet. Whilst most award units are available for study in a non-award semester, note that

1. Some units may not be available (hence, get the booklet),
2. Some unts may have a UAI requirment (hence, get the booklet),
3. All units are paid out-right, and may be more expensive than usual (hence, get the booklet).

Whilst the uni recommends doing 1 - 3 units, if you've got a higher UAI, you can do 4. I would personally recommend going 3 units, anyway, as failing a non-award unit may get you kicked out. I've heard that sometimes failing two units is necessary to get kicked out, but the official statement is one unit. Basically, do 3 units and don't fail. :)

Once you get a Pass or Conceded Pass (45%+ -- by the way, 45% in uni is higher than in school...) for two semesters' (ie, a year's) worth of units, you can transfer into a Bachelor of Arts (a BA). Once you're in the BA, normal rules apply for transfering and your grading. Every non-award unit you use can count towards a BA, so none are 'wasted'.

You can only transfer from non-award to a BA, and once in a BA, to something else.

Basically, if you wanted to do a BMedia (or any other degree), these are the steps:

1. Get into non-award for 2006,
2. Pass all your units in 2006,
3. Transfer to a BA for 2007,
4. Get the required marks for BMedia transfer in 2007,
5. Transfer to BMedia in 2008.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

buddys

HSC
manifestation said:
Hello folks,

Thanks,
Mani
Hi

i completed 2 units of non award at Mq last semester. I am looking to transfer into a bachelor of business administration.

this is what i understand:
you need to complete 4 units of non award to be able to transfer into a bachelor of arts. to do this, you need a gpa of 2.0 for those 4 units.

once you transfer into the bachelor of arts, you need to complete at least another 4 or 2 units (im not 100% sure) before you can transfer into another course. each course has its own required gpa.

the people at the centre of open education recommend u only do 2 units of non award per semester as if you fail one, its hard to get a gpa of 2.0

if u have any other questions, just ask and ill try help out. like i said, i only started in the middle of 2005, so i dont know it all, but i can tell u what i do know.

hope this helps :) ,
bud

X

xeuyrawp

buddys said:
Hi

i completed 2 units of non award at Mq last semester. I am looking to transfer into a bachelor of business administration.

this is what i understand:
you need to complete 4 units of non award to be able to transfer into a bachelor of arts. to do this, you need a gpa of 2.0 for those 4 units.

once you transfer into the bachelor of arts, you need to complete at least another 4 or 2 units (im not 100% sure) before you can transfer into another course. each course has its own required gpa.

the people at the centre of open education recommend u only do 2 units of non award per semester as if you fail one, its hard to get a gpa of 2.0

if u have any other questions, just ask and ill try help out. like i said, i only started in the middle of 2005, so i dont know it all, but i can tell u what i do know.

hope this helps :) ,
bud
Hmm, that's partly correct.

You don't need a GPA of 2 to transfer, you need to have passed everything: Note that if I got a D in AHST100 and a F in AHST101, my GPA would be 2 (0 * 3 + 4 *4 / ). Getting an F in any unit gets you kicked out of non-award, I believe.

For the newer people, a GPA stands for a grade point average, an average of all your marks. Each subject has an end of year mark (fail, conceded pass, pass, credit, distinction, high distinction) to which a numerical value is placed (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, respectively).

To transfer into another course, you generally need 1. a good GPA, and 2. an amount of CPs. Each unit has its own GPA / CPs requirements, so a generalisation that you require 'two or four' units is false.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
okay it's starting to make sense thanks you lovely people :) So I don't really mind doing BA Arts (cause I just want to do any degree, as long as I am in Maq, cause it's 5 mins away from home and dad wants me to go there etc) so, I would do my non award thing right...but for how many years? And once I did the non award, I would get into BA Arts and then complete the degree in 3 years and woop-di-doo, I've completed Uni with a Degree in BA Arts...is that right?

X

xeuyrawp

manifestation said:
okay it's starting to make sense thanks you lovely people :) So I don't really mind doing BA Arts (cause I just want to do any degree, as long as I am in Maq, cause it's 5 mins away from home and dad wants me to go there etc) so, I would do my non award thing right...but for how many years? And once I did the non award, I would get into BA Arts and then complete the degree in 3 years and woop-di-doo, I've completed Uni with a Degree in BA Arts...is that right?
You do the non-award bit for 1 year, and after you pass it, you'd do a BA.

A normal BA takes 3 years, so you'd do 2 years after the non-award. :)

X

xeuyrawp

manifestation said:
oh wow, so it be for 3 years altogether :D sounds good. There is hope :)
Hmm, remember that you may only do 6 subjects (as opposed to 8) in your first year, so you might have to either do a few extra subs in one year, or go for a semester longer.

What kind of subjects are you looking at doing?

manifestation

What?!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Hmm, remember that you may only do 6 subjects (as opposed to 8) in your first year, so you might have to either do a few extra subs in one year, or go for a semester longer.

What kind of subjects are you looking at doing?
oh okay...well I don't know what subjects they offer, I e-mailed them, I'm just waiting for a reply. I'm into humanities and psychology too, so along the line of that I suppose. Maths is not really my thing, I like the law too (legal studies :)).

So if I did 8 subjects altogether that would take about a year and halfish right? Like, I would love to do uni in 4 years that would be really good.

X

xeuyrawp

manifestation said:
oh okay...well I don't know what subjects they offer, I e-mailed them, I'm just waiting for a reply.
I would actually ring the Centre for Open Education.

Have you looked through this site?

I'm into humanities and psychology too, so along the line of that I suppose. Maths is not really my thing, I like the law too (legal studies :)).
Well I you can do legal studies in non-award, but not law units until you get into a BA and look at transferring. :)

So if I did 8 subjects altogether that would take about a year and halfish right? Like, I would love to do uni in 4 years that would be really good.
It depends. If you plan ahead once you get accepted into non-award, you should be able to complete a BA in 4 years. :)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Well I you can do legal studies in non-award, but not law units until you get into a BA and look at transferring. :)
when you say you can do legal studies in non award, you mean like as a subject right?
So, okay each subject thing counts towards units. So i have to do a few subjects not just one. Then once I do that and get the pass stuff, I go to BA Arts and I think I will just do that rather than transferring into another degree, it's too confusing lol.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :D

X

xeuyrawp

manifestation said:
when you say you can do legal studies in non award, you mean like as a subject right?
So, okay each subject thing counts towards units. So i have to do a few subjects not just one. Then once I do that and get the pass stuff, I go to BA Arts and I think I will just do that rather than transferring into another degree, it's too confusing lol.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :D
Yeah, ok.

Every subject area has letter coding: Ancient History is AHST, Modern is HIST, Media is MAS, Philosophy is PHIL, etc.

Whilst you can't do LAW (Law) subjects in non-award, you can do LEGL (legal studies).

I'd chose 3 units a semester :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
You can only transfer from non-award to a BA, and once in a BA, to something else.
Not to be nitpicky, but you can transfer from non-award to a BSc, BEd(Early Childhood), BA-Psychology or BSc–Psychology as well as a BA.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
kami said:
Not to be nitpicky, but you can transfer from non-award to a BSc, BEd(Early Childhood), BA-Psychology or BSc–Psychology as well as a BA.
I'll answer your question in a sec, but this is useful:
You could pick up a Non-Award handbook from the COE (Centre for Open Education), or call the MQ Pathways Hotline (Starts on Monday... 1800 351 117... also check http://www.pathwaysday.mq.edu.au) and they'll probably be able to send you one.

Page 17 of that handbook suggests that you can "articulate" from a non-award into a BA, BSc, or B-Education (Early Childhood Education) (aka BEd(ECE), assuming youv'e got your 2.0GPA.

If you have a GPA of 2.5+, you can go into th BA-Psych or BSc-Psych

You can apply to 'articulate' into these degrees either mid-year in 2006, directly to the uni, or at the beginning of 2007, through UAC (and thereby compete with the new year 12's.. They calculate a new admission ranking for you, based on your Uni results, and your HSC results... or just your HSC results, whichever's better... I think. Gotta do my study for this hotline thing! ;)

Pwar they so should've hired you :mad:

PwarYuex said:
I'd chose 3 units a semester :)
The reason that COE recommend 2 is that if you fail A SINGLE UNIT they can kick you out. Therefore to maximise your time/study abilities they say do two... it's a waste of your time, your upfront fees and -- to put it very bluntly, and perhaps brutally -- your chances, if you fail. Keep in mind that uni marks are harder to get than high school marks.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
Thanks kami and skittled :) -- Nitpicky in this situation is a MUST. :D

Sorry about the mis-information about the BSc, BEd, BA thing. Probably shouldn't say anything if I'm not 100% sure. That's good that you can go to a BSc and a BEd, as well... Something that I just realised, for anyone who reads this, a BEd in Secondary Education (BEd (Secondary)) is for graduates only. The BEd in Early Childhood (BEd (ECE)), is an undergrad degree. Just something to note.

I agree that if you're not sure about your academic ability, do less units rather than more. If you're not sure, do two subjects rather than three -- I only said 'do three' because you seemed very competent. But yeah, I will always give the advice (speaking from personal experience of Philosophy) that it's better to stay at uni a while longer than carry subjects that you don't like and don't do well at. :)

Skittled: Dina Mura rang me up to get me to work at the Pathways Day. She didn't say what I'd be doing, but said she'd get back to me with more accurate info.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Skittled: Dina Mura rang me up to get me to work at the Pathways Day. She didn't say what I'd be doing, but said she'd get back to me with more accurate info.
Good stuff, Rob. Don't know what Dina told you, but pathways day is the 4th Jan -- the last day that people can change their preferences for the main round of UAC offers. So, essentially it's to give people a decent idea of how they want to get into uni -- especially if they didn't get a UAI as high as they'd hoped (which is what the day's aimed at). It covers the basics like put a BA as a higher preference than a BSc if you're not sure, due to UAI/transfer rules, and the fact that now there are Domestic Full FEe paying places, on the off chance you wanna pay your whole uni upfront, and how that'll work with your UAI, or if you wanna go to TAFE instead and then transfer to uni, etc etc... I suppose as a "pathways" day it's pretty aptly named, and you probably figured it out what it was going to be, anyway... so now I'm just wasting my breat-- err... Typing. ;)

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
Good stuff, Rob. Don't know what Dina told you, but pathways day is the 4th Jan -- the last day that people can change their preferences for the main round of UAC offers. So, essentially it's to give people a decent idea of how they want to get into uni -- especially if they didn't get a UAI as high as they'd hoped (which is what the day's aimed at). It covers the basics like put a BA as a higher preference than a BSc if you're not sure, due to UAI/transfer rules, and the fact that now there are Domestic Full FEe paying places, on the off chance you wanna pay your whole uni upfront, and how that'll work with your UAI, or if you wanna go to TAFE instead and then transfer to uni, etc etc... I suppose as a "pathways" day it's pretty aptly named, and you probably figured it out what it was going to be, anyway... so now I'm just wasting my breat-- err... Typing. ;)
What does the day exactly constitute? Do people go around to stalls or something? Are there lectures?

I would have asked Dina, but she actually woke me up with her phone call and I wasn't thinking straight.

buddys

HSC
i got a question, maybe PwarYuex can help me out.

If u fail 1 unit in non-award, do they definately kick you out or can they take your other unit(s) into consideration?

I failed Stat170, but got a D in Isys123.

Can anyone help??

X

xeuyrawp

buddys said:
i got a question, maybe PwarYuex can help me out.

If u fail 1 unit in non-award, do they definately kick you out or can they take your other unit(s) into consideration?

I failed Stat170, but got a D in Isys123.

Can anyone help??
That I can't help you with. There's conflicting evidence on what will get you kicked out of non-award, and I don't know the practicalities of it. Officially, you can't fail even one unit, nomatter your other marks.

However, it is a moot point, because failing a unit severely weakens your chance of transfering to a Bachelor's degree.

Say if you got a {F for STAT170 and a D for ISYS123};

{0*3 + 4*3} / 6 = 2.

A GPA of exactly two is really low, as well, a just-pass, if you will.

However, if you got even [a pass for STAT170 and a credit for ISYS];

[2*3 + 3*3] / 6 = 2.5

A GPA of 2.5 is much nicer.

You'd be better to get a [pass and a credit] than a {fail and a distinction}. It's just the maths of it.

The moral to the story is do units that you know you're going to pass. Maybe stay away from STAT and MATH units until you transfer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)