Non-Standards in Med School (1 Viewer)

Nivi7

HSC
I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but,

a) does anyone know approximately how many non-standards (ppl with some form of tertiary education) are accepted in UNSW, UWS or UNCLE for Medicine?

b) do non-standards have to have exceptional GPAs and UMAT scores to be considered over school leavers or are both given equal consderation?

c) when becoming a doctor, does the institution really determine the quality of the doctor?

cheers:)

Nivi7

HSC
actually, this is a post for my LAZZZZZZYYYYYYYY friend who's gonna do med science @ usyd. she couldn't be bothered registering, so, I'm posting for her.

lol, yeah I really wanted 2 go 2 med skool, but I bombed out in the umat and blew my chances. I still wanna give it a go but I don't think I'm bright enough :(

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
actually, this is a post for my LAZZZZZZYYYYYYYY friend who's gonna do med science @ usyd. she couldn't be bothered registering, so, I'm posting for her.

lol, yeah I really wanted 2 go 2 med skool, but I bombed out in the umat and blew my chances. I still wanna give it a go but I don't think I'm bright enough :(
^ Sit it again, consider doing prep.

I'm not gonna answer your Edit: your friends initial questions, because i've answered it too many times this year already and to top it off I would have, had your friend who wants to do medicine, had taken 5 minutes of her time to register, log in and post the question her self.

Nivi7

HSC

I'm not gonna answer your Edit: your friends initial questions, because i've answered it too many times this year already and to top it off I would have, had your friend who wants to do medicine, had taken 5 minutes of her time to register, log in and post the question her self.
oh well, serves her right for not registering but, I'm sure she'll find some1 else 2 do her work for her!!! I only posted 2 get my dad off my back cuz she's technically my dad's best friend's daughter...spolit little only child...ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I wonder if she'll ever read this post???

and wooz, I thought abt doing a prep course but I'm gonna be pushed for cash this year since I'm moving 2 canberra 2 go 2 law skool, but I managed 2 get some Face 2 FAce papers off my friend last week. I think I mite give the UMAT another shot this year, and hope for da best. I really don't believe I'm lawyer material, but my dad thinks otherwise...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
oh well, serves her right for not registering but, I'm sure she'll find some1 else 2 do her work for her!!! I only posted 2 get my dad off my back cuz she's technically my dad's best friend's daughter...spolit little only child...ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I wonder if she'll ever read this post???

and wooz, I thought abt doing a prep course but I'm gonna be pushed for cash this year since I'm moving 2 canberra 2 go 2 law skool, but I managed 2 get some Face 2 FAce papers off my friend last week. I think I mite give the UMAT another shot this year, and hope for da best. I really don't believe I'm lawyer material, but my dad thinks otherwise...
Yeah, I'm getting pretty annoyed at those types atm, the silver spoon type.

Congrats on your law offer at ANU? Give it another shot, do what you think you'll be happy doing, don't let your dad push you, etc.

nottellingu

HSC

Lol funny how u can endorse prep courses here but not on mso :haha: Whys that reason any way ?

To nivi7 dont let ur dad pick your course...do what you want. If that is medicine you should have considered anu's provisional entry program if u got above 98 uai.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Repped^ Edit: did you rep me before? I think their maybe something wrong with my account.

Lol funny how u can endorse prep courses here but not on mso :haha: Whys that reason any way ?

To nivi7 dont let ur dad pick your course...do what you want. If that is medicine you should have considered anu's provisional entry program if u got above 98 uai.
Legal threats to MSO, I don't think anyone would dare take on BOS.

It's a bit late to apply for the ANU scheme.

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
I'm moving 2 canberra 2 go 2 law skool, but I managed 2 get some Face 2 FAce papers off my friend last week. I think I mite give the UMAT another shot this year, and hope for da best. I really don't believe I'm lawyer material, but my dad thinks otherwise...
Well you picked law not your dad and if you are stupid enough to base your future on what your parents want then im not sure how to respond.

Other scenario is that you are one of those high-achievers whose preference is based on the profession they believe to be the best ratio of income to prestige.

Better pick which one you want because seeing somebody who actually wants to do medicine and has been trying for so long not get in because people like you do makes me sick.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

as wooz said.. that is true...

medical students run MSO... as a hobby .. not a part time or full time job..
noone wants to do the legals.... sure as hell not me..

paid prep isnt necessary but then if you want to 'think' you have a chance do it..

i kinda think of medical school lik a bigger version of a good selective school... just cos you got in doesnt mean you shouldnt still study insanely once ur in..

Nivi7

HSC
Well you picked law not your dad and if you are stupid enough to base your future on what your parents want then im not sure how to respond.

Other scenario is that you are one of those high-achievers whose preference is based on the profession they believe to be the best ratio of income to prestige.

Better pick which one you want because seeing somebody who actually wants to do medicine and has been trying for so long not get in because people like you do makes me sick.
dude, you don't know my father. he's a great guy and all but he has the world's worst temper. to top it all off, he has a severely deteriorating heart condition and if I start arguing with him abt wanting 2 study med science and he ends up having a heart attack and takes a turn for the worse, I'll never forgive myself.

I'm not a high acheiver, I wish I was, but I'm really not. My goal in life is to run an orphanage, esp. for children with physical disabilities, but to be able to do that, I'm gonna need funding so, there's nothing wrong in me seeking a good education.

After browsing forums all day yesterday, I've decided that if I don't pass the umat this year, I'm gonna work my arse off for the gamsat and get into med skool, even if it means that I have 2 keep trying for 10 years.

btw, all the best for getting into med skool. Some people are really lucky and get in on their first go but da rest of us will reach even greater heights with lots of hard work:)

sorry abt da corniness, I just gave a prep talk 2 my littl' sis.

lionking1191

HSC
dude, you don't know my father. he's a great guy and all but he has the world's worst temper. to top it all off, he has a severely deteriorating heart condition and if I start arguing with him abt wanting 2 study med science and he ends up having a heart attack and takes a turn for the worse, I'll never forgive myself.

I'm not a high acheiver, I wish I was, but I'm really not. My goal in life is to run an orphanage, esp. for children with physical disabilities, but to be able to do that, I'm gonna need funding so, there's nothing wrong in me seeking a good education.

After browsing forums all day yesterday, I've decided that if I don't pass the umat this year, I'm gonna work my arse off for the gamsat and get into med skool, even if it means that I have 2 keep trying for 10 years.

btw, all the best for getting into med skool. Some people are really lucky and get in on their first go but da rest of us will reach even greater heights with lots of hard work:)

repped

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

I wasn't a high achiever as well, I went to one of the states worst schools for most of my high schooling. Hmm, you said you wanted to help run an orphanage maybe you should consider volunteering for that with World vision, churches, etc. It's alsoa great experience to share with your interviews :D, it certainly beats the ordinary 'oh, I did work experience in a hospital'.

Yeah, but at least you can study properly for GAMSAT and do proper prep courses.

Most people don't get in on their first go, and most med positions are now grad. For e.g. out of our 6 new med schools in Australia all bar UWS is graduate. Med schools now favour grad students who are more likely to succeed and more mature compared to high school leavers upon entry.

Consider applying for JCU next year, as it is the only undergrad med school which does not look at umat.

Best of luck, I know how it feels to be in your shoes. My dad still gives me shit, even this morning he still want's me to do a trade or to take over his buisness. I also carry a full resus kit with me incase he has a heart attack and a CPR valve on my key ring. He keeps saying "don't waste your fucking time at uni, be a plubmer or something, I can get you an apprenticeship.", etc.

Please don't hesitate to email me if you have any further questions as I will be leaving this forum tonight.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)