NORTH SYDNEY BOYS YEAR 8 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS/PAST PAPERS (1 Viewer)

Iliumination

HSC
N/A
Hello fellow students.

I am a student in NSW applying for North Sydney Boys High School [NSBHS], I'm currently in year 7. And applying for year 8, the test is within a weeks time from now (roughly), so you can understand that I'm going through a lot of pressure right now and I've been practising quite a lot. Now that's the intro, let's go to the main point.

So, I've been studying and all, but I feel kind of lost. I want to know what type of questions there might be in the MATHEMATICS portion of the test, (if questions are too specific, topics are fine as well). The test will consist of Mathematics and Writing. It would be greatly appreciated (I mean appreciated A LOT, I mean if you can help me out, you're a LEGEND!), and basically I would love it if someone experienced could help me out and by experienced I mean someone who is probably in NSBHS and knows what might come in the test, OR someone who might be in higher grades than me and possibly have done selective tests for Year 8 in NSW.

I don't mind if you're going to reply from Victoria or somewhere else (Dunno if you guys have the same curriculum as NSW), but I would much prefer experienced students from NSW to help me out here. But, any answer I can get in this thread will be appreciated. ANY information regarding the test will help, tips/tricks and MOST of all... Some topics on MATHEMATICS which might come in the test.

c8

HSC
Hello fellow students.

I am a student in NSW applying for North Sydney Boys High School [NSBHS], I'm currently in year 7. And applying for year 8, the test is within a weeks time from now (roughly), so you can understand that I'm going through a lot of pressure right now and I've been practising quite a lot. Now that's the intro, let's go to the main point.

So, I've been studying and all, but I feel kind of lost. I want to know what type of questions there might be in the MATHEMATICS portion of the test, (if questions are too specific, topics are fine as well). The test will consist of Mathematics and Writing. It would be greatly appreciated (I mean appreciated A LOT, I mean if you can help me out, you're a LEGEND!), and basically I would love it if someone experienced could help me out and by experienced I mean someone who is probably in NSBHS and knows what might come in the test, OR someone who might be in higher grades than me and possibly have done selective tests for Year 8 in NSW.

I don't mind if you're going to reply from Victoria or somewhere else (Dunno if you guys have the same curriculum as NSW), but I would much prefer experienced students from NSW to help me out here. But, any answer I can get in this thread will be appreciated. ANY information regarding the test will help, tips/tricks and MOST of all... Some topics on MATHEMATICS which might come in the test.
I didn't do the test in year 8 but typically the questions won't be too specific on any particular maths questions and will likely be logic based so you will need to be able to extract the answer from the information they give you. Nonetheless I would recommend that you've paid attention in maths this year as you'll be as prepared as possible this way. Writing is usually based on a prompt so you get maybe a quote or picture or something similar. Brushing us on your writing skills, in general, would be good for this as it is always quite random i.e. there's not much specific advice you could get in regards to what text types you should practice because there's a broad range although persuasive and creative and a few others are common.

Just another thing, enrolment into North Sydney Boys is highly competitive. There could be over a hundred people enrolling into the school in just your year so doing things like providing certificates of achievements you've had in the past year or two will set you apart alongside a good report. Typically, they get you to take the test and they will look at the highest achieving people and go from there so the test is important and doing things like making sure you read the question properly and making sure you understand what you are being asked to do will help you. If you don't get in this year don't worry too much about it as you still have a few more years to apply if you still want to transfer. You can also use the extra year to improve your report (straight As are not a prerequisite but it's likely there will be a few people applying who will have them) and get some more extra-curriculars to make yourself stand out. Good luck!

Tribunal

HSC
Hello fellow students.

Did you get in, and can you tell me the type of questions there are? I'm trying out this year. Thank you if you tell me

Tribunal

HSC
I didn't do the test in year 8 but typically the questions won't be too specific on any particular maths questions and will likely be logic based so you will need to be able to extract the answer from the information they give you. Nonetheless I would recommend that you've paid attention in maths this year as you'll be as prepared as possible this way. Writing is usually based on a prompt so you get maybe a quote or picture or something similar. Brushing us on your writing skills, in general, would be good for this as it is always quite random i.e. there's not much specific advice you could get in regards to what text types you should practice because there's a broad range although persuasive and creative and a few others are common.

Just another thing, enrolment into North Sydney Boys is highly competitive. There could be over a hundred people enrolling into the school in just your year so doing things like providing certificates of achievements you've had in the past year or two will set you apart alongside a good report. Typically, they get you to take the test and they will look at the highest achieving people and go from there so the test is important and doing things like making sure you read the question properly and making sure you understand what you are being asked to do will help you. If you don't get in this year don't worry too much about it as you still have a few more years to apply if you still want to transfer. You can also use the extra year to improve your report (straight As are not a prerequisite but it's likely there will be a few people applying who will have them) and get some more extra-curriculars to make yourself stand out. Good luck!
Are there any other tips you know, if so THANK YOU SO SO MUCH

c8

HSC
Are there any other tips you know, if so THANK YOU SO SO MUCH
I googled some questions for the test which is the most important part of getting in for nsb i believe but there aren't many resources out there. I also had a few extracurriculars that I included in my application which I think helped but other than that it was pretty heavily based on the test

Tribunal

HSC
I googled some questions for the test which is the most important part of getting in for nsb i believe but there aren't many resources out there. I also had a few extracurriculars that I included in my application which I think helped but other than that it was pretty heavily based on the test
Oh kk, thx. Do we need to study for any specific topics for maths or is just logic based?,

c8

HSC
I honestly don't remember but I'm pretty sure it leans more to the logic side but don't quote me on that lol

Unknown Scholar

HSC
Hello again.

I actually made it into NSB, but that was when I took the test for year 11 so whilst I don't know how difficult it will be for your test, I can give a rough outline of what to expect.

For maths, expect harder questions than Normanhurst. But NSB seems to like testing mathematical thinking (something similar to working mathematically), so know your content weel (what you've been learning for year 7/8) and see if you can apply your knowledge onto these questions. I guess you could call them logic based, but they still require mathematical working.

For English, similar story, short answer and an extended response. It seems like they favour creatives, but don't quote me on that because it might have changed. Make you sure you can write well, as c8 has mentioned above.

For year 8 entry, usually it means someone from the cohort has left as they don't open extra spaces, so don't be disappointed if you don't get in, maybe that year, no one left and hence they have no space. You've got a few years and if you keep applying, you'll get the swing of things I'm sure.

Good luck!

Tribunal

HSC
Hello again.

I actually made it into NSB, but that was when I took the test for year 11 so whilst I don't know how difficult it will be for your test, I can give a rough outline of what to expect.

For maths, expect harder questions than Normanhurst. But NSB seems to like testing mathematical thinking (something similar to working mathematically), so know your content weel (what you've been learning for year 7/8) and see if you can apply your knowledge onto these questions. I guess you could call them logic based, but they still require mathematical working.

For English, similar story, short answer and an extended response. It seems like they favour creatives, but don't quote me on that because it might have changed. Make you sure you can write well, as c8 has mentioned above.

For year 8 entry, usually it means someone from the cohort has left as they don't open extra spaces, so don't be disappointed if you don't get in, maybe that year, no one left and hence they have no space. You've got a few years and if you keep applying, you'll get the swing of things I'm sure.

Good luck!
Thank you so much again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)