• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Not being multi-talented person (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
I was wondering how much of a disadvantage are people who do not participate much in school and outside school activities compared to other who do ( like being school captain, prefix, duke of Edinber- sorry don't know how to spell)

I've always been the reserved type so I didn't want to get myself into a lot jobs and responsibilities. So is the disadvantage only for scholarships and stuff that require interviews and 'aptitude' test (like Med- or i thought)

If so can i make this up say at university or after the HSC?

Last edited:

johnwoo

for scholarships, yes, but as with any interview, as long as you can talk well you can get through - even convince them you're a athlete and social worker.

and yes silly you can talk about any activities you participated in prior to any interview. :D

Was there another question? Edinburgh.

Wohzazz

HSC
No i just didn't know how to spell Edinburge (now i know how to spell)
So you can basically tell lies and once they accept you, they can't boot you if they realised you are lieing? Are interviews all about confidence and bluffing?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Not the best way to go through life/gain entrance, but I suppose it will work if you can lie about it (without getting caught).

I don't know what will happen if you 'get caught' lying in an interview, but stretching the truth doesn't hurt. I believe honesty is the key to gaining entrance, as you'll only be lying to yourself if you get into a course that you weren't ever supposed to be in (my opinion).

All interviews are based on your aura and how you come across, your personality and traits, but there is a bit of bluffing involved and oozing of confidence.

I wouldn't recommend lying, the interviewers might probe further and you'll build upon lies, upon lies, upon lies until you're guilt ridden. :)

Wohzazz

HSC
Well i never actually lied and i don't plan to- however this idea of lieing seems to be what interviews are all about

Back to my question, can i redemn myself in terms of these disadvantages because not being involved in things- i heard you get to do the DUke of Edinburge in UNi- true? I wanted to do it but missed out- they have camps and stuff

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Wohzazz
Well i never actually lied and i don't plan to- however this idea of lieing seems to be what interviews are all about

Back to my question, can i redemn myself in terms of these disadvantages because not being involved in things- i heard you get to do the DUke of Edinburge in UNi- true? I wanted to do it but missed out- they have camps and stuff
yeps u can do it in uni, its up to the age of 25

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
It helps to be involved in extra-curricular activities in your final year at least because not only will it have a positive impact if it complements your studies, but employers and society in general keep it in high esteem.

When it comes down to the crunch of comparing you to the next person, when both of you have a UAI of 99 (whether it be for a scholarship, job which requires higher aptitude, etc), they will start digging deeper to find distinctions between the two of you.

Try and dive into any extra-curricular activity you can to show your knowledge, skills and experience extend beyond a book.

johnwoo

Originally posted by Wohzazz
No i just didn't know how to spell Edinburge (now i know how to spell)
So you can basically tell lies and once they accept you, they can't boot you if they realised you are lieing? Are interviews all about confidence and bluffing?
lol. Pardon me I just found that funny :D:D:D

Relax dude, they don't care too much about it so long as you are confident in an interview and you don't look retarded. These high-pay scholarships are funded by industry and these companies want healthy down-to-earth people who can communicate well. Thats really all an interview is for.

Oh and when it comes to comparing you with others, its who they liked at the interview. A few extra activities isn't really gonna change much. Seriously... -_-

"Wait wait !! That guy went to duke's camp!!"

Wohzazz

HSC
Well i know its a bit late now to get involved in things- there only that much times left
I'll probably concentrate on studies and worry about other stuff later
I was kinda hoping to get involved in stuff AFTER Hsc but oh well

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Dude it's never too late. I, like you was the non participating type at school. But it's important to join things at uni, because it's part of the uni life experience. You may think to yourself, "I'll make friends within my lectures and tutes" but when there's 300 other people in the room and you're sitting next to 2 other people whom you may never sit next to again, then that may be a bit hard. And depending on your course, you may never be in the same class as them ever again so you lose that thing in common with them.

But when you participate in clubs and societies at uni, no you won't make a big dent in the pool of other people, but you will meet like minded people, people you can associate with. The alternative is to wonder around by yourself, moping about your friends from school that you never see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)