[NOT] Dumbest question ever asked [according to Lex] (1 Viewer)

Lu Lu

HSC
Ok to those that know the answer this will seem like the dumbest question ever asked but for those who do pathophysiology....
Is carcinomatosis/carcinosis (defined as the development of many cancers throughout the body) the same as metastasis (defined as the spread of cancer throughout the body)?
Different texts talk about either but in no text I have I found it says one is the same as the other. I know this seems like a dumb question but I'm really stuck on this patho assignment and I would love any help what so ever. Thanks guys if u can help.

premer

HSC
Re: Dumbest question ever asked

No, that is why there are two different terms, because they are completely different system malfunctions or mutations, spured by different things, which at this stage in science are relatively shady and unknown.

GNI...........

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

carcinomatosis
A condition resulting from widespread dissemination of carcinoma in multiple sites in various organs or tissues of the body; sometimes also used in relation to involvement of a relatively large region of the body.

metastasis
The spread of a disease process from one part of the body to another, as in the appearance of neoplasms in parts of the body remote from the site of the primary tumor; results from dissemination of tumor cells by the lymphatics or blood vessels or by direct extension through serous cavities or subarachnoid or other spaces.

metastasis is also not carcinoma specific... it can be applied to mumps where u get male sterility...

carcinomatosis usually refers to a metastasis in a widespread area too... its normally reserved for certain conditions.. lik leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, lymphangitic carcinomatosis, meningeal carcinomatosis... basically it a more accurate descriptor of the pathophysiology

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

npz...
yeah got me for a second too i had to use a dictionary.. it's not a dumb question..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)