not happy uws! (1 Viewer)

liz

HSC
Yeah all teaching undergraduate courses are not being offered as of next year. I did first year teaching (early childhood) this year and will be the last year to graduate through the undergraduate course.
The teaching courses are changing as the faculty has no money. All this year they had been trying to figure out what they were going to do. Thats why they couldn't tell people early about what was going on, because they didn't know themselves. We had meetings where they discussed many things they planned on doing. Such as put teaching only on one campus or scraping some degrees and not others. At the end of this year they finally decided just to have graduate teaching degrees.
I feel sorry for you guys because the teaching degrees are fantastic at uws and I believe the graduate ones will be too but I know sometimes you feel like you want to get into a teaching degree straight away.
Yet don't rule uws out as you can still do a degree and a graduate degree that will get you into teaching.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
Lauren said:
They did the same thing with some of the secondary teaching courses too. Arts/Teaching doesn't exist anymore and I really wish I had more notice than three days before my results came!!!!!! I had it all plannned with the RET test and everything. I asked about it at the Information Day and was given a really vague answer as well.
I completely intended on going to uni at Penrith but UWS have been so confusing and screwed around the courses all year I think I'll put somewhere more reliable first. My results were better than I thought too so I'm thinking of putting UNSW or MQ first now, and just get used to travelling.
I understand the cuts to the budget and financial situation and all that, I just think they couldn't have given everyone a little more notice. Everyone I know who was applying for thsoe courses is really pissed off.
yeah my secondary teaching course was cancelled too
i was pissed off coz of the little warning
but i just changed everything around its okay!

liz

HSC
Just remeber if you get into the right undergradute course as stated on the Uac website http://www.uac.edu.au/uni/cancelled_courses.html#uws for your course you actomatically get into the graduate teaching degree, even if you just pass your undergradute course, thus automatically still become a teacher.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i got the letter... sucks but i didnt get high enough for it anyway so it downt matter. I can do the arts part if i want to. just considering options. Sucks about the ret test though.

mishka

HSC
N/A
liz said:
I feel sorry for you guys because the teaching degrees are fantastic at uws and I believe the graduate ones will be too but I know sometimes you feel like you want to get into a teaching degree straight away.
Yet don't rule uws out as you can still do a degree and a graduate degree that will get you into teaching.
i still worry that those people who get into teaching this way will now have little in class experience. i have made the decision to take out uws altogether, because i should be ok to get into an undergraduate education degree.

it's a shame, because i think uws is going to lose a lot of people from this. :eek:

SweetSeasons

HSC
UWS stuffed me over too I applied for an education scholarship, but with an invalid uni course because they changed what you have to do for science teaching, hence resulting in me not getting an interview. Its F*cked.

SweetSeasons

HSC
mishka said:
i still worry that those people who get into teaching this way will now have little in class experience. i have made the decision to take out uws altogether, because i should be ok to get into an undergraduate education degree.

it's a shame, because i think uws is going to lose a lot of people from this. :eek:

UWS is the best for inclass experiance for teaching. They do it in the 18 month lot so you get the extra experiance. some uni's only have 2 pracs in the 4 years of tecahing. Where as at UWS you have 3 pracs in the 18 month period.

mishka

HSC
N/A
but there's not even an undergrad course now, so there will be little or no pracs for the 3 years while you do an arts or social science degree. that's what i meant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)