• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not helping peers? (1 Viewer)

Siddy123

HSC
Yes, I found it during Year 11 hard not to help people. However, I think you should still help them to the point by giving them hints and directions, not waste your precious HSC time on their behalf. If they ask, just simply say, "No thanks, I have to worry about my HSC because I have a course that I want to get into. Thank you for your understanding."

I think I should reiterate my statement. Help those who are struggling and give them direction rather than those who are closely ranked to you. But if you are kind, help them a tiny bit.
I absolutely agree with you.
You can't let other people waste your time and effort ( eg. borrowing of essays, help via social networking sites) By all means help everyone, but when that help interferes with your own study and possble jeapardizes your future, then thats when the line is drawn.

By the way, Spiralflex, did u do accelerated maths as well:)?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
since rankings are so important ... should you not help your class peers with homework/assignments or general questions?
having friendly competition and helping everyone so everyone gets high marks and lifts the cohort up

OR

be an overcompetitive douchebag who prefers "high marks" over any sort of friendship or basic ethics

seems like a neasy decision

dionb2014

HSC
I have actually pondered this topic as although I am only in year 9 people have asked for my help and giving them notes etc and I sometimes wonder, the lower the average is, the better my score looks. It really works on the same principal. I have never sunk low enough to not help them out in this perverted plight although I wonder if I would react differently with the actual HSC on the line. It comes down to who you are as a person and if you can live with yourself at the end of year twelve knowing that the only reason you are where you are is because you didn't lend a helping hand along the way. Years down the track you will probably look back and think you could have had the best of both worlds. Helped people out and been a good person as well as achieve the highest possible score you could.

sick_kent

HSC
I have actually pondered this topic as although I am only in year 9 people have asked for my help and giving them notes etc and I sometimes wonder, the lower the average is, the better my score looks.
If you are that much of a douche I'm not surprised that you don't help others

Last edited:

dionb2014

HSC
I do help others, why are you surprised. No one can argue that if you got 100%, the average is 40% and the inter quartile range is 10% your score doesn't look VERY good.

dionb2014

HSC
If you read the rest of my post I explained my opinion. Why would someone ask this question if there was any debate to be had. Of course it would be better if you did the best in your grade by heaps but it doesn't mean you are going to impair other people from doing well.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
What many people do:
Before trials - if people ask you questions, then answer them but don't waste too much time
After trials - send all your notes out and try to help out as much as possible. But still don't try to commit too much of your time helping if you are unable to do so.

sick_kent

HSC
fair point mate,
but the question was asked so an answer could be given which was agreed on by a number of people rather than just one because then it could be seen a un-reliable.
I'm not saying that by not helping you're going to impair but you are limiting yourself as helping others is a way of consolidating conceptual understanding by being able to understand what you are learning, well enough to be able to help and guide others

magoshitsjosh

HSC
You should ALWAYS HELP someone having trouble, whether they are closely ranked to you or not. But NEVER DO THE WORK for them.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
its a bad attitude to have in life, that logic can be further applied:

1. dont help your peers during HS coz they might beat you and get the internals you want
2. dont help your peers during uni coz they might beat you & get the job you want
3. dont help your peers at work because they might beat you to the promotion you want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)