not in syllabus (1 Viewer)

TheKing

i'm interested in the Kerbs cycle
and although its not in the syllabus does anyone want to discuse the features of it with me?

TheKing

yea but i want the detailed bits....
like the bits involving electrons and stuff
its interesting and relates to performance etc

Collin

HSC
N/A
If you're in HSC, then generally I find it pretty wasteful to try discussing this. The system in it's detailed entirity is biochemically complex and generally requires higher calibre chemical foundations than that developed by the HSC course.

In other words, unless you have incredible aptitude, I wouldn't bother trying to bite off more than you can chew. Study HSC biology hard, study HSC chemistry hard, and you'll get to learn all of this well in the first year of tertiary studies in biology.

TheKing

i do HSC chem and HSC bio
but we don't talk about the kreb cycle...

santaslayer

HSC
Check this site out, it details the particular steps involved in the cycle and provides thorough graphical information to further enhance your understanding of this complex theory. :D

I'm smart. Pass it on.....:p

http://wine1.sb.fsu.edu/krebs/krebs.htm

EDIT: In short, this cycle consists of eight steps:

1) Condensation

2) Isomerization of Citrate

3) Generation of CO2 by an NAD+ linked enzyme

4) A Second Oxidative Decarboxylation Step

5) Substrate-Level Phosphorylation

6) Flavin-Dependent Dehydrogenation

7) Hydration of a Carbon-Carbon Double Bond

8) A Dehydrogenation Reaction that will Regenerate Oxaloacetate

BTW, I don't do PDHPE, I'm just gifted and talented. :p

Last edited:

Cab31

HSC
really there is no need to know that there are even 8 steps in it. no marker is going to be impressed by your ability to regurgitate something you dont understand.
it is part of the aerobic energy system. it comes between aerobic glycolysis and the electron transport system.
i mean you would go into more detail than that but just know what the by-products are etc. the main idea is that the aerobic energy system produces ATP in two ways in the presence of oxygen.

TheKing

Originally posted by Cab31
the main idea is that the aerobic energy system produces ATP in two ways in the presence of oxygen.
so we have the usual
glucose + oxygen --> energy(in form of ATP) + CO2 + H2O

whats the other...?

and yes i have looked at the links... i don't ask things i don't want to know about, thank you for the information but i just didn't think it was appropriate for cab31 to insult my intelligence because he or she is not as enthusiastic about PE as myself.
i mean if you don't like it, don't post...

goodnight

TheKing

Glucose is C6H12 O6
whats glycogen? it is glycogen that is used isn't it?
and if the other ways of synthesising ATP are just using proteins and fats they don't worry about it...

and just with that... i'm assumming that the synthesis of ATP is from ADP so is that to say that there should be a phosphate in that equation somewhere? i know that they are a shatload of steps in respiration, heaps of enzymes and stuff but its not exactly correct to say the above (previous post).

oh yea and the Adenosine in ATP is just a nitrous base, like a nitrate?

Any reccomended sites for me???
this is going to bother me.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)