Not loving Phil137 (1 Viewer)

Begbie4017

HSC
I am doing phil137 this semester and I am thinking about dropping it.
I dont really need to do it (I have enough credit otherwise ) but thought it would help my studies.
I need a minimum gpa of 2.5 and after 1st year have 2.4
How hard/easy is it to get a credit plus?
Does anyone that liked warm up to it or just liked it from the beginning ??

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What Jamie said, basically its a very specific style of philosophy so if you don't like it and don't need it, perhaps it might be better to drop it, though I doubt you could pick another subject up again.

If you want to work through it, then the best suggestion is to just get your head around the general concept. Its very much about the concept of thinking logically that throws people off, but once you get into the habit its pretty invaluable :)

Kegs

HSC
I think I have know why you are having trouble with it; it is Phil.
Do you sit around talking like an hsc syllabus?
Do you have a funky/oddball hat?
Piercings?
Do people often make you out to be a stereotype?

If you answered yes to 3 or more of these questions then perhaps you shall warm to it. Otherwise the time has come. Face up and get out before they get to you...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
You would think most people could think logically, but what asy said is true - some people find it hard to spell out the rules of their thinking (which 137 requires) or can't think logically in the first place. I found 137 good because it spells out how to communicate why an argument is crap rather than just thinking that it is crap and not being really sure how.

iwannarock

HSC
is 137 critical thinking?

i loved that course. one of the rare d's for me.

the other 13x course however..........formal logic was awful.

i don't understand how you could take the same premise.........replace it with numbers and equation instead of words.......and all of a sudden im awful at it.

ugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)