Not sure what to combine law with... (1 Viewer)

pfftmaria

HSC
I'm struggling to decide between doing science/law or arts (media and communications)/law at USYD...

Media/law goes for 6 years, whilst science/law only for 5, which is unattractive. However, I feel slightly more interested in media/law and I think I could do better in it. It's only the extra year of study at this point, that defers me.

Science/law is also compelling. If I consider transferring to medicine later on, it would be the better choice. But I've been told that your original degree does not matter all that much when it comes to that.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

baci

HSC
I am also doing combined law at Usyd this year :) woo.
I feel you, I'm also not sure what to combine it with but at this stage thinking International and Global Studies as I want to continue learning French and the course seems really interesting.

I think if you do have an interest in medicine, combining it with science could be a good way to see if you are interested in that.
My friend made the good point of saying that in her doing Commerce/Law, she has room to go into either faculty if she ends up hating one part of her degree.

With arts and law, I think they are more similar than the combo of say Science/Law.

At the end of the day, just trust your gut instinct :)
My advice atm would be look at what majors you can do with both degrees - maybe you can do an arts major within Science/Law??

pfftmaria

HSC
I was thinking of majoring in Psychology if I were to do science/law. The thing is, math isn't really my strong point and I am told that science or science(adv) would involve a decent amount of it. I know I'd be interested in psychology, but I think I'd be more suited for the arts. This is difficult!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I am also doing combined law at Usyd this year :) woo.
I feel you, I'm also not sure what to combine it with but at this stage thinking International and Global Studies as I want to continue learning French and the course seems really interesting.

I think if you do have an interest in medicine, combining it with science could be a good way to see if you are interested in that.
My friend made the good point of saying that in her doing Commerce/Law, she has room to go into either faculty if she ends up hating one part of her degree.

With arts and law, I think they are more similar than the combo of say Science/Law.

At the end of the day, just trust your gut instinct :)
My advice atm would be look at what majors you can do with both degrees - maybe you can do an arts major within Science/Law??
This is probably the best advice for someone trying to pick a specific direction.

Media & Comms is a narrow discipline so I would only advocate a student take that degree if they are sure that they want to pursue a career in the industry, or a role which works with the industry.

Science has loads of majors so you have more options to choose from. Some majors are a better fit with Law than others naturally.

OP, what level of maths did you complete when you were in high school?

pfftmaria

HSC
I am very much interested in a career within the media & comm industry. I did Extension 1 mathematics, and was average in it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I am very much interested in a career within the media & comm industry. I did Extension 1 mathematics, and was average in it.
If you actually want to work in that industry, then I think the degree choice picks itself imo.

In terms of Science, an average performance in Ext 1 Maths is more than enough for first year university maths.

pfftmaria

HSC
Thanks! I had my heart set on media & comm for a long time but got constantly distracted by other degrees. Although I am very good at science, the arts appeals more to my creative side, so I think I'm going to go with that! Feels good to finally come to a decision!!

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
As a law student, my best advice would be to do a second degree you have a genuine love and interest for. Law isn't particularly beyond anyone studying it, but it can be tedious and tiresome just with how much work you need to get through each semester, so it's always a good balance to be studying something you enjoy on the side.

HSC
omg. I am in the same sitch
science/law or media/law
and I STILL have no idea what do to.

Some people are like "Your other degree should be something fun since Law and the other degree don't really relate anyway"
Others: "Do something useful, for the future"

I'm so torn :c

I also have thoughts of transferring to med but idk D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)