note making (1 Viewer)

Michiru

HSC
hey. I need some help in making notes.

Maybe it's just me, but is anybody else finding the geography syllabus dot points a little broad. I do chem and bio and they've got like at least 50 or more syllabus dot points for each module, so it's easy to make notes for.

But for geo...there's just as much, or perhaps even more material per module, but there's so little dot points to guide you in making notes...so can anyone please tell or help me with note making skills in geo?

Hey,

I agree. I do chemistry and biology and I prefer them much more to geography. However, I think it's most important to address the point they are asking.

For example, the first one is "biophysical interactions that lead to diverse ecosystems and their functioning". To address this, there are two parts. One - biophysical interactions (atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, biosphere, as well as weather/climate, geomorphic/hydrologic processes, biogeographical processes and adjustments in response to natural stress) that lead to diverse ecosystems, like the variety of ecosystems with different levels of complexity and scale, and two - ecosystem functioning, how ecosystems work like food webs, trophic interactions, productivity, nutrient cycling etc.

Summarise it and an example or two are helpful for each part. Definitions and use of appropriate terminology is also a good thing to do.

Just go through systematically and address each part. Like some have several parts to a dot point like "the relationship of dominance and dependence between world cities and other urban centres and the changing role of regional centres and the demise of the small town."

This involves the relationships of dominance and dependence between world cities and other urban centres (this is a number in itself, but it falls as one), then there's the changing role of regional centres, and there is the demise of the small town.

Finally, it's important to go through the syllabus and 2001, 2002 and 2003 extended response questions to find the ones tested already.

I think the ones that could be tested for ecosystems at risk include:
- H1 + H2 + H5 + H6
- vulnerability and resilience of ecosystems
- traditional and contemporary management strategies
- biophysical interactions
- human impacts

Know the case studies.

I think the people and economic activity question will be a long doozy of a question, whilst urban places might compare megacities and world cities, urban dynamics or a case study of an urban dynamic.

They can just ask one of the outcomes as a question. Remember the skills listed like weather maps, precis maps etc. are tested so go over them.

Michiru

HSC
wow! Thanks!
NOw i feel less lost!

man! you seem to really know what you're doing.

um...just wondering, apart from the major case studies, do you think that it's worth knowing or at least remembering some facts and figures of the examples. Cuz our school gave us the old 2unit geography pathways book until the yr 12's have done their hsc and returned their books, and a lot of the examples they use are to do with the rainforest. So much that i can probably compile a case study on it just from these facts and figues. ...so yea...do u think it worth it or necessary to remember the 'case studies' that isn't the prescribed one?

lol...did all that make sense?

Sorry about the late reply, but statistics and other material are good to use and are important if you can fit them in somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)