NOTEBOOK layout/organisation (1 Viewer)

tanna

HSC
I know that there has been a number of threads concerning organisation and how to get more organised in senior, however after searching the forums, there has been nothing on how to organise your actual notebooks.

I have pretty messy writing and in previous years my books have been untidy and unorganised with unclear headings, subheadings, margins etc.

Can any of you guys give any pointers on how you organise your notebooks?

Thanks for all your help.

HSC
Except for maths, I don't actually use a notebook. I tend to use files and looseleaf. But this varies subject to subject.

As I said, for Maths I used a five subject notebook. Not really to seperate anything, but because it was big enough to suffice for the whole year. My class got relatively few handouts, so the ones that we did get could be placed inside the pockets.

For english, my teacher made us use lever arch files. By the end of the year I actually had two, because there was so much content. They were divided up according to the topic.

Ancient History and Bio were the same as English.

For PE I had heaps of handouts, so I had a ring binder for those and a notebook for written work.

Religion I had a notebook and display folder.

I know that this doesn't really answer your specific questions, but it gives the general idea that every subject and teacher is different. Because I got heaps of new teachers for year 12 (well for math, religion, english and bio), I just went in the first few days with looseleaf and sussed out what they wanted. Maybe doing that would help with organisation.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I find loose leaf much more easier to use than an exercise book, and its quickly accessible for me.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
I'll be using a laptop for years 11 & 12 due to the amount of class I'll be missing through sport, the school granted me permission which will make it easier to catch up on work etc.
Only subject I'll need a book for is maths (thats my own rule, not the schools..) as will all the symbols etc it would be too hard on the computer.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
For Maths, teacher gives me notes I put it in a folder/loose-leaflet.

For English/Phys/Chem, I'll give you a screenshot. (It has the Maths folder there for notes that I get off this website in case I'm unclear about something)

The documents are my notes. I also have my schools last years grade notes in case while I write my notes, I am confused or lost on a dot point, I can copy/read their notes to help my udnerstanding.

Hope that helps :)

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
tommykins said:
For Maths, teacher gives me notes I put it in a folder/loose-leaflet.

For English/Phys/Chem, I'll give you a screenshot. (It has the Maths folder there for notes that I get off this website in case I'm unclear about something)

The documents are my notes. I also have my schools last years grade notes in case while I write my notes, I am confused or lost on a dot point, I can copy/read their notes to help my udnerstanding.

Hope that helps :)
So you do work on the computer? Or type it up, or is that just revision notes etc?
Elaborate :eek:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
D347H574R said:
So you do work on the computer? Or type it up, or is that just revision notes etc?
Elaborate :eek:
I also do the same as tommykins. I make a folder on the computer for each subject, and put all the extra notes in there and the assignments I have done. I'm not well organised with my folders, which I'll have to work on.

I'd really prefer to type my notes up, like some others do, especially how I found many typed up notes in the syllabus with each dotpoint, but the information doesn't really store in my brain in comparison to writing it.

That being said, I don't think you wanted my answer but want Tommy's answer :D. But I'm guessing he does the same as me, unless he types the notes up.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I also do the same as tommykins. I make a folder on the computer for each subject, and put all the extra notes in there and the assignments I have done. I'm not well organised with my folders, which I'll have to work on.
Same as me :D

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I'll probably start writing my notes out, even though I've gotten into the habit of typing them up when an exam is coming up. It's just that when I use the computer, I can never seem to get off. Probably because the computer is so far away from my room that I can't be bothered walking back - it's only about 10 metres, but I'm lazy and don't have much energy. :)

Last edited:

F-O-B

HSC
I use books for every subject and usually stick in all my notes, i tried using a folder just ended up losing a lot of stuff!
Man, if i tried typing up all my notes, i'd never get it done. msn is so distracting!

jirwin

HSC
i dont think many of u's have actually touched on what the original poster asked.

in yr 12 i used an A4 book for each subject. varying sizes depending on the subject of course. they were also the binder books so that when it came time to study i could put them in my study folders for reference.

i always had a black, red and blue pen in my pencil case. main headings were done at the top of the page, centred and in small caps. sub headings were red also but just normal writing, left aligned.

i had a line seperateing each paragraph/section.

i used black for sub-sub-headings (lol if they exist) also for bullet points and stuff. i used blue for the regular writing.

im still undecided as to whether i preferred exercise books or a4 books. each had their own pros and cons. i cut and glued my worksheets in. however with the A4 books i used to end up with heaps cos i was too lazy. whereas with the exercise book i just folded and glued straight away.

as for my typed notes. i tried all the handwriting of notes but it just didnt happen. i procrastinated so much its unbelieveable. as soon as i started typing them i was fine. im a perfectionist. i couldnt get my notes right on paper but on computer they were great (in my opinion). even with or without msn, typing was so much better for me personally.

i had a bold capital heading with a divider line underneath. then i had bolded sub headings and normal font (size 10) nothing fancy at all. i then printed the notes at school so not to waste my ink and paper lol.

anyway hope i answerd ur question. sorry about the long post. good luck with ur organisation!

dpospination

HSC
i just keep all my pages dated and all sheets glued into my book so i know what topic they are in

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I brought seperate folders for each subject to put my sheets in that I receieve in each lesson (except mathematics), and to put in the syllabus with the syllabus dotpoints. When I paste the sheets into my exercise book, the book continues to pile up, and when it's all piled up, then the whole book falls out, just like what happened in year 10 :(. So with the notes I take, I just have a A4 exercise book to write my notes up, with underlined headings.

People have different methods. Some use loose leaf, some have bad writing, and if they do, they type their notes up and revise upon them. But when I type my notes up, they don't seem to get in my head. Therefore, I write.

valeria.m5.5

HSC
jirwin said:
i dont think many of u's have actually touched on what the original poster asked.

in yr 12 i used an A4 book for each subject. varying sizes depending on the subject of course. they were also the binder books so that when it came time to study i could put them in my study folders for reference.

i always had a black, red and blue pen in my pencil case. main headings were done at the top of the page, centred and in small caps. sub headings were red also but just normal writing, left aligned.

i had a line seperateing each paragraph/section.

i used black for sub-sub-headings (lol if they exist) also for bullet points and stuff. i used blue for the regular writing.

im still undecided as to whether i preferred exercise books or a4 books. each had their own pros and cons. i cut and glued my worksheets in. however with the A4 books i used to end up with heaps cos i was too lazy. whereas with the exercise book i just folded and glued straight away.

as for my typed notes. i tried all the handwriting of notes but it just didnt happen. i procrastinated so much its unbelieveable. as soon as i started typing them i was fine. im a perfectionist. i couldnt get my notes right on paper but on computer they were great (in my opinion). even with or without msn, typing was so much better for me personally.

i had a bold capital heading with a divider line underneath. then i had bolded sub headings and normal font (size 10) nothing fancy at all. i then printed the notes at school so not to waste my ink and paper lol.

anyway hope i answerd ur question. sorry about the long post. good luck with ur organisation!
Thats almost exactly what i did for the SC, and i plan to do it again for HSC. What makes things weirder is that we have almost the same subjects for HSC AND i want to do design in university!
Woah, strange coincidence :uhhuh:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Sorry for the bump, but what I tend to do is have a hard copy (with handwriting) notes and once I get home i type it up. sorta repitition of the notes if you get what i mean.

note layout?

Dotpoint -
-main point
- sub point
-subsubpoint
-second point
-whatever.

but my final notes are always
-main point
-keywords
-sub point
-keyword

jet

Banned
HSC
I just use loose leaf with a binder and separate the work from the class notes. Then you have study notes straight away!!! I use a notebook for maths, and for music i have a manuscript pad with holes. I did get books for subjects that wanted one. I just write fully in blue pen. Red margins if needed.
I number each of the loose leaf pages to find them better and order them with worksheets, which i put in the back of their binder-section in a sleeve. At the end of the topic the notes go in a separate binder with the work sheets and other work.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
School Books

Hey. :)

Just wondering, how does everybody organise their school books and such?

For me, I just have a binder folder with binder books, which is where I usually write all my notes and answers in. Sometimes however, I just bring a seperate notebook and write everything down from class into this one, then simply copy it into my actual school book at home.

On the other hand, I usually collect the sheets that I get in class into a plastic sleeve ordered by subjects, however some of these have been getting somewhat full lately (especially from physics) so I really have no idea what to do with them. I also really want to keep the sheets in chronological order with the notes given and such, so does anybody want to give me some ideas to deal with this problem? :p

I've seen people bring loose leaf sheets of blank paper, write notes in them and then just place it into the binder folder. I've been thinking about doing this, especially since you can just punch holes in your sheets and keep both your notes and the sheets in the order you were given - which is great. Does anybody else have a better alternative to offer? :p

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)