NOTEBOOK layout/organisation (1 Viewer)

Evan11

HSC
Re: School Books

do the ring binder idea but instead of using loose leaf plain sheets, get the loose leaf sheets which come with holes pre-punched. u will not regret it.

EDIT: I misread what you said. But you get my point, your last idea sounds the best.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I usually keep a separate folder to put sheets in, but if I want it to go into my notebook, I staple it. Can't stand glue...

freaky.styly

HSC
ladies, gentlemen,

discover the magic that is ...
hilighters :D

for ultimate organisation. note preparation.
and it looks good.

gazzalite751

HSC
*looks up*
HAHAHA. Higlighters. =P Classic xDD and agreeable =].

As for notes organisations in books/loose leaf paper:

HEADING (usually the topic/point that we're going to work on) [ black pen/underlined in red]
SUBHEADINGS (smaller than the size of the heading but nonetheless, visible as a subheading- usually encompasses a subtheme in the topic/point that we're working on) [ black pen, usually smaller in size in comparison to the heading ]
NOTES (the notes) [ blue pen ] =DD

Here's an example: http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/gazzalai/notes.jpg

As for organising subjects:
This might sound toilsome, but it really helps in studying. I usually go home and copy out all my notes for the subjects onto looseleaf paper and then file them into subject folders (folders are lever arch ring binder folders). This way, the notes that we learnt from that lesson has an increased chance of actually sticking to my mind and will be less easier to study for and the subject folders make it easier to find notes xD.

zaqwerty

HSC
I used to do my notes in "bulk". Basically, I left it to the last minute.

I would print off the syllabus about a week or two before an exam and then write each syllabus point onto a seperate piece of paper. I would place them on the floor. Then, under each syllabus point, I would place any handouts we got in class that correlated to that point, and would also rip out the pages of my school note books and do the same thing (I used ringbinder note books). I would then highlight all sheets under each syllabus point, and then summarise and gather main points and type up into a word document on the computer. I found this technique was very useful in getting a real understanding of each syllabus point.

For study closer to exams I read over notes and then made flash cards that had a question on one side and an answer on the other. They are AWESOME for remembering things, particularly quotes.

P.S. Highlighters are a true treat! Use them well.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Using laptop does not seem very effective for me. In fact, I never use laptop when I study because I am very prone to distraction so I never use laptop. Only time I use laptop is probably when I do my assignment because I don't get distracted while doing assignment.

Laptop is not even in my room even though it is my personal computer. My parents think it is a bad idea to keep it in my room. So I keep it in a 'special computer room'(?) and use it when I need to (about 20-30 minutes) every day.

For notes, I actually got a lot of notes from seniors who I became quite well acquainted with. I usually see them in a library and they kindly explain to me sometimes or I ask teachers for notes. I use those notes or sometimes make notes on my own based on syllabus and based on my instincts. Then, I use those notes to explain myself or teach myself (which is a better expression, I guess) by writing all the notes on the whiteboard!

I usually apply many study methods. But one thing that I can recommend you is that: "Never MIX your studies with your social activities (including internet and using computer)"

HSC
freaky.styly said:
ladies, gentlemen,

discover the magic that is ...
hilighters :D

for ultimate organisation. note preparation.
and it looks good.
HIGHLIGHTERS ARE AWESOME. They are so colourful and brighten up the page. :uhhuh:

dpospination

HSC
sikhman said:
our teachers have made us print of the syllabi for most subjects and we just go through the syllabus, highlighting each dot point as we do it....

you have a good point about using laptops....most of my friends who use laptops have found that they now cannot write very fast, but they can touch type---kind of uselss in exams....(unless you get a concession)
exactly, thats the thing, the hsc is not a computer exam

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Help with organisation

I need a few tips on how to organise all my notes and school resources.

First off, I have separate folders for each subject with A4 spirax books. The problem with A4 spirax books is that you cannot use binders for them. And I’ve already bought separate A4 folders with sleeves to place my sheets in each sleeve. I have 6 seperate A4 folders and 6 spirax books for each subject.

With my A4 English folder, the 20 seperate sleeves are already full of sheets in each sleeve. I don’t know what to do with the extra sheets I receive later on in the English lesson. And with physics, my sleeves are almost full, because my physics teacher is following a procedure where he hands in the sheets with the dot point at the top and we just have to complete the sheet, instead of writing them in our books.

So I need help. I don’t know what to do with the A4 sheets of paper I receive for each subject, because when my folder is full, they’ll be all over the place in my folder. What should I do? Has anyone got better suggestions they currently use for organising their notes, syllabus dot points and school resources. I can be much organised, especially at home, but I just don’t know any tips for organising my resources.

Thank you.

locked.on

HSC
Re: Help with organisation

Purchase some document wallets/folders for each subject and use them to store sheets that you don't need.

Maybe you could use a filing cabinet - I've found that they're efficient to store unneeded sheets easily and pull them out for reference when I require. Or you could buy manilla folders and use paper clips/alligator clips if you don't have a filing cabinet.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

You could try and double store the same pockets relating to the same dot point. If you've actually finished with one sub-section of the syallbus, you might want to remove those sheets and put them somewhere else. By then, when you start the next subsection, you'll have a near-empty folder to start off again.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Thanks for the tips.
  • How do the manilla folders work? Do they fall out? Can you use tab dividers?
  • For english, how do I know when a subsection ends? It's not like the sciences, where a section ends for a module.
  • Scanner = Waste of ink & time consuming?
And should I consider buying a binder folder with tabs? How does that work? All opinions are appreciated. Share what you currently use ;)

undalay

HSC

Razizi said:
Thanks for the tips.
  • For english, how do I know when a subsection ends? It's not like the sciences, where a section ends for a module.
  • Scanner = Waste of ink & time consuming?
And should I consider buying a binder folder with tabs? How does that work? All opinions are appreciated. Share what you currently use ;)
Well it depends...
If you have a good scanner it doesn't take long, plus you never lose anything, you've got a search function, and you can rearrange stuff easily.
You can send notes/files to friends easily
If you have a laptop you've almost got everything with you.

You don't really need to print anything.

edit: theres not really subsections for english...
Unless you mean like context, techniques, etc, etc

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Well, I'm presuming that you're doing the AoS at the moment. You could divide your folder sleeves into sections such as "Context", "Quotes", "Plotline", "Techniques", "Links to AoS" etc etc.

locked.on

HSC

Razizi said:
Thanks for the tips.
I use a filing cabinet so Idon't use manilla folders, but I suggest using it in a similar fashion. Have a manilla folder for each subject, use a few tab dividers to separate each topic or how ever you want. Maybe use paper clips and plastic sleeves to group sheets together for easier reference later on.

Hope that gives you an idea.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Ah I'm considering the scanner option now, sounds really good and effective undalay. What about A4 binders and tab-dividers? With the binder folder, wouldn't the sheets continue to pile up, month by month, then it would be hard finding a certain sheet you've been looking for? I'd prefer to use something instead of the computer, therefore I'm also considering A4 binders and the manilla folder idea. How do you use tab-dividers? Do you divide each subject up, then store the sheets in it accordingly? Anyone use binders and tell me how effective it is? I know about manilla folders, now I just need to compare both :), then probably go officeworks :D. Thanks.

Last edited:

locked.on

HSC
Don't ask for opinions on how they work, try it our for yourself. :) That way, you can make the decision on what works for you.

It's a little investment of time and money, but it could work in the long term.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Hmm... reading the replies, I'll probably start using an A4 binder with tab dividers and loose leaf paper for writing down stuff. With sheets, I'll just use a hole puncher and then chuck it into my binder folder.

It's just that when you get a whole lot of sheets, keeping the sheets in chronological order and in line with the notes you've written down really helps alot. In addition, I tend to be compulsively neat with my work, which often ends up making me fall behind in homework because I spend time on rewriting messy notes taken in class. Using the loose leaf idea though, I usually end up not minding that much because I'll probably just rewrite the notes I've taken in class and file these more concise notes separately. That way, I filter out any unecessary information and revise at the same time. :p

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Yeah I'm going to test out the A4 binders and tab dividers as well and see how it goes, just like locked.on explained. I'll use a hole puncher and slot them in easily in chronological order. With my spirax books and textbooks, I'll place them in my bag and carry it around at school. And with past exam papers, essays and reports, I'll leave it in this briefcase thing I've got. Going to start organising all of this hopefully tomorrow :). Should've thought more of this in the holidays -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)