Notes / Study for Advanced? (1 Viewer)

joannaadele

HSC
Hi all!
I was wondering who you all study / studied for advanced? In particular how did you set out notes? Do you write notes? How do you make them according to the syllabus? Thanks!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
notes for English?? wat even.
No I just write essays throughout the year, refine them over and over. Then come exam time, memorise em and regurgitate (not literally). The process is then repeated.

And you should try to embed the quotes and analysis into your long term memory so that during exam time you can answer any question on your texts because you'll know them really well, like you know your parents and friends.

joannaadele

HSC
so like screw the syllabus? cause the dot point objectives are ridiculously broad

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
so like screw the syllabus? cause the dot point objectives are ridiculously broad
You never study for English from the broad syllabus points, the rubric for each module should be the object of your study-you need to deconstruct it and know it by heart-because this is the place where ALL POSSIBLE EXAM QUESTIONS will be made. If you really want to make notes, deconstruct the rubric and organise your quotes/techniques/ideas according to rubric points. It might be helpful to make notes for Belonging since it is very broad-below is an example technique which I have used to get a band 6, which might work for you:)

Here is some advice to get you started-this applies to note making for your prescribed and related in relation to the belonging rubric:

1)Deconstruct your belonging rubric-all questions will come from it-so deconstruct it into 5/6 main points. For me, I deconstructed it into the following points:
-Perceptions and ideas of belonging, or of not belonging, vary. These perceptions are shaped within personal, cultural, historical and social contexts.
-A sense of belonging can emerge from the connections made with people, places, groups, communities and the larger world.
-Within this Area of Study, students may consider aspects of belonging in terms of experiences and notions of identity, relationships, acceptance and understanding.
-Texts explore many aspects of belonging, including the potential of the individual to enrich or challenge a community or group. Texts may also represent choices not to belong, or barriers which prevent belonging
-They may reflect the way attitudes to belonging are modified over time.

2)See which parts of your prescribed text best relates to each of the 5/6 main points and list out relevant techniques/quotes/effects to support/expand these main points-can be about belonging or not belonging. Remember to analyse your related text(s) to the main points you have come up covering the whole rubric and relate it to your prescribed text-include relevant quotes, techniques and effects as well.

3)You can either construct paragraphs for each of the main points integrating the techniques/quotes/effects you have extracted from the memoir or start writing practice essays using your notes-and get someone to mark the essay and give you comment and feedback. Paragraphs are better than one long generic essay as there are many components in the rubric.

4)When you do practice essays, you can practice according to trial questions, however, you can alternate this with doing essay plans for other questions-writing out your introduction, body paragraph thesis point-example, technique, quote, effect, and your conclusion to make sure you can adapt your knowledge to as many essay as possible

Last edited:

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Strawberrye's response is spot on. Essentially, you continually write/develop a strong essay, using the rubric dot points to ensure that you understand and cover off on what the module is about conceptually. You then practise adapting this essay to various essay questions (which would be based on the rubric and annotations) to ensure that you have covered (as far as you can) whatever type of question they can throw at you.

Notes are a matter of personal preference. My "notes" for English were essentially my essay in dot point form, which highlighted the key sophisticated expressions I needed (because really, in an exam, most of us would fumble for the right words...so better to be prepared beforehand), techniques, quotes etc. The purpose of studying/memorising your essay in note form (dot point form) is so that you aren't remembering the essay word for word. By NOT memorising word for word, you can more easily adapt your sentences/writing to the question and requested form (e.g. a speech etc) and write something that doesn't feel regurgitated and off-focus to the marker.

joannaadele

HSC
Thanks guys! I totally forgot about the rubric! Where would I find each rubric for each module though? I'm in prelims now btw

2xL

HSC
Take a good essay (preferably from someone with a band 6). Refine it (submit to teacher, have them dissect and fix it etc). Proceed to memorise and adapt to question.

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)