• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Novel RAW (1 Viewer)

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
hey anyone studying raw? i started writting notes to remember for the exam but then i realised last years question was about institutions being positive or negative, most of my notes were based on that like compliance etc.. what are you guys taking note of?

HSC
i never really had a good idea on how institutions work, but i got some help (huzzah kaylz)

basically the main idea is the effect of institutions on individuals, now show how that is done through ideas such as rehabilitation vs punishment, inmate/warden relationships, and whatever ideas you can manage to pick out

im doing brett as a symbolisation of the institutions changing him, then contrast it to out of sight out of mind & shawshank redemption

i really dont know how im going to, i hate institutions (and always have to pause spelling it when i type it), image and close study of text are tenfold better

gl

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
really? i liked it, its easy to bullshit on about! i have the same related text to!

what texts do you have for the other modules?

HSC
image;
prescribed: the truman show
related: the far side / hyundai elentra tv advertisement and i might have a third, not sure if i should

close study of text:
wilfred own all 6 poems

YOU GOT THE SAME RELATED!? didnt think anyone else did it, well not at least out of sight out of mind, those 2 are heaps good to connect imo

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
yeh our teacher gave us those for related and i have the same texts as you for modules.
are you picking a few scenes to know really well out of the truman show?
and are you going to know all the poems really well? in my trial they asked for a specific poem that i only knew a little bit about.

HSC
I got one scene thats heavily analysed, I did that scene only and got 16/20 in the tiral, my teacher told me if I had done 2 scenes I would of got 18-19 so I'm complimenting my heavily analysed scene along with a few others, like symbolisation of truman finishing (his clothing changing)

yeh they might, usually every so often they ask a ball buster of a question, since its since 2002 that they've done so I wouldnt be surprised, every so often they ask series of easy/hard questions, 2001 was very easy, 2002 was abit ack, 2003 wasnt that bad its just self reflective, and 2004 required bit of thinking for an intro, but nothing since 2002 has been a ball buster

they could include any poem, but my teacher said they're likely to ask Dulce et decorum est if anything, I know most the poems well except "The next war", im a bit dodgy on that one :(

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
The next war was the one we got for trials to! was not cool..

They are pretty easy to understand the titles are self explanatory, just remembering what qoutes go with what will be interesting for me.

I picked one main scene and a couple of others to talk about and got 18/20 for the trials, we just had to do an interview though so it was pretty easy, i'm just not sure what else to add, my teacher had been away since our trials started.

Yeh and my adv teacher last year is on the exam writing board and said that our exams will be harder for sure.. :( can't wait.. goodluck anyhow...

HSC
advanced!? aren't you in stnadard

i thought they made the english papers back in feb or so not 2 weeks before it starts?

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
yeh i was in adv and i decided i didnt want to do it for some stupid reason so i dropped it and i dont know when they are written but shes been doing it for awhile and just said our one will be harder.

HSC
last time "anthem for doomed youth" was asked, she said anthem for the doomed youth and dulce et decorum est where his most famous poems

i dont know D: I just hope they dont ask "the next war", i love the send off though

bubu

no way 'the next war' is good, just hate if the focus was on futility

bubu

oh yeah in reply to emz's q

u basically talk about 1 or 2 of them in focus depending on the question

remember techniques to back them up

and then imply the other one or two remaining

u can integrate them into the question

hope it isnt an essay cause i havent prepared one but a transcipt or feature article or interview would be nice

HSC
Interview would be good. I'm better at writing them than an essay. But RAW is driving me insane....It's like the worst book ever!! My related texts for it aren't that great either.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
i actually liked the book! just annoying how many things there is to talk about with it.. my related were to do with jails... now ive got a song about compliance in general and a advertisement that gives society their own choices for responsibility.. just found them today.. should be fun trying to remember thing..

HSC
Yeh im thinking about using the movie "One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest" and a newspaper article thing....I was going to use Mean Girls, but I did that in the trial and it didn't really work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)