NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! HE DID! I thought i imagined him say "fucking" twice.
Now they go "we appologise for those adjectives used"

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shortygb said:
he would be rolling in it, wasnt it a million dollars return from that bet?
The talk in rugby league circles this week has been all about the Sydney punter who stands to collect a little more than a million dollars off Centrebet should the West Tigers win the NRL title on Sunday night.

ledzeppelin

HSC
a week after the swan's grand triumph, they're already being forgotten
the sport in the herald today was over 10 pages of league, with the swans getting a quarter of the very back page

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ledzeppelin said:
a week after the swan's grand triumph, they're already being forgotten
the sport in the herald today was over 10 pages of league, with the swans getting a quarter of the very back page
I think that's because the NRL grand final was the very next day, and the AFL season ended last week.

Roosters will be back next year. Maybe I'll put a $1000 bet on a swans/roosters double

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Well, heres the final verdict.

Arrive Alive; Played last week, but great to watch the replay, with two Sharks juniors/Australian schoolboys in Rhys Lovegrove and Mitch Brown playing. Mitch Brown for first grade next year!

Jersey Flegg; I literally fell asleep during this. Man it would have been exciting had the Sharks made it.

Premier League; So one sided. Fucking Rorts. They lost because they didnt play the Doom [Dumas]. Good falcon. Man it would have been exciting had the (Newtown) Sharks made it.

First Grade; Boooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggg. I thought football was gonna be the winner on the day. But other than Chris fucking Heighington at the fucking end, it was pretty fucking boring. Man it would have been exciting had the Sharks made it.

Roy and HG were lame, but due to the boringness of the GF, they can't be blamed.

Good season. Good endng [with boring grand final]

Now next year, I do not wish to hear "40 years and won fuck all". UP UP CRONULLA!

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
First off, Tri-Nations squad announced:

Barrett, Buderus, Civonaceva, Cooper, Fitzgibbon, Gasnier, Gower, Hindmarsh, Johns, Kennedy, King, Lockyer, Mason, Minichiello, O’Donnell, O’Meley, Price, Prince, Ryan, Ryles, Tahu, Tate, Waterhouse.

ManlyChief said:
Well it's all well and good for Balmain but I am still waiting for the
MIGHTY BEARS to win a flag.

Maybe next year ... :)
Hehe, and while we're at it, I have decided that I'll gun for Annandale and University next season. I can't wait!

Bookie said:
First Grade; Boooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggg. I thought football was gonna be the winner on the day. But other than Chris fucking Heighington at the fucking end, it was pretty fucking boring.
Yeah, that's about right. Felt just like Friday Night Footy.

I said before the game that it would be a hit-or-miss game. It was either going to be really exciting or really crap. It took the course of being the crap game.

Perhaps it's because neither team shows any respect for the ball. Perhaps it's because I'm more of a traditionalist and I would rather see a Grand Final based on defence, discipline, and a final scoreline of 14 - 10. Perhaps it's because there were no supporters for either team at the ground.

Seriously, how many people stuck around for the victory lap? 30,000 tops, and 10,000 were probably bandwagoners. I recall Ryan and Price lifting the trophy last season to be met with thunderous applause and cheering. Last night, Prince lifts it and you barely here a whimper.

Considering that it is a Grand Final, some of the play was just piss-weak. Laffranchi's try ... Richards' try ... the competition has come a long way in recent times, I guess. Now it seems that games end up being 34 - 32 rather than 16 - 14. And woohoo for the excitement (note sarcasm), but the essence of rugby league is being thrown out the window.

Everything started to go pear-shaped when one particular entrepreneur decided that the game of Rugby League is purely a money-making commodity. Super League destroyed the game, and even though it has recovered in terms of profit, crowd numbers etc, the game of rugby league itself has been irrevocably changed, and in my opinion the change has been for the worse.

All that said, though, congratulations to the Wests Tigers. They have deservedly won each of their matches in the Finals' series. Like the Roosters of 2002, though, they showed that the first 20 weeks of the competition mean nothing as long as you can put it together for ten weeks at the end.

If the NRL is to keep a top eight, which they most certainly will do because of the profit motive, they must revert to the AFL's system. However, if it was a decision based on what is best for the game rather than the deep pockets of the NRL, a top five is the way to go.

Anyway. Onto 2006, then.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Stupid fucking Tri-Nations squad. Fullback of the year not enough for Hodgson?

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Stupid fucking Tri-Nations squad. Fullback of the year not enough for Hodgson?
Mate, if it were up to me, this is how it would be:

1. Lockyer ... he's the best fullback in the world, no question.
2. Minichiello ... he's the best winger in the world, no question.
3. Gasnier ... he's the best centre in the world, no question.
4. King ... he deserves a spot over Cooper this year.
5. Tahu ... he's the second best winger in the world, no question.
6. Barrett ... with Lockyer gone, he's the next best. Either way, he outplayed Lockyer in 2005 easily.
7. Johns ... best player in the world, no question.

That is a far better backline than Minichiello at fullback, King and Tahu on the wings, Gaz and Coops in the centres, Lockyer at five-eighth and Johns at half.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
brogan77 said:
Fuck off tate, waterhouse and mason DO NOT deserve to be their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's about right. Wing missed out to Gower ... interesting.

And Steve Simpson was not selected. It is a f*cking joke.

I am losing more and more faith in Rugby League as time goes on ...

EDIT: For anyone who's interested, here is the make-up of the 23 man squad:
4 Saints
3 Bulldogs
3 Brisbane
2 Roosters
2 Panthers
2 Knights
2 Eels
1 Manly
1 Storm
1 Tiger
1 Cowboy
1 Warrior
0 Raiders
0 Rabbitohs
0 Sharks

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I don't see HOW they can have one Cowboy and one Tiger, and yet have ten players from teams outside the top eight. Fuckin' ridiculous

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I gave up on it [see page 280s] when Nutley wasn't given a shout.

fuck Bob MacCarthy. He's the worst selector ever and he always will be. Someone tell him that he shouldnt just select players on a suck my cock standard. I mean I know Jason Ryles and Willie Mason like giving ol' Bob a good blow now and then, but hey, when you have a Dragons supporter as the main selector...oh well.

UP THE KIWIS!

Vagana, Maiava, Leuluai, Covell, Williams. FIVE SHARKS FOR NZ!

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Yeah. That is effing stupid. And i agree too that Minichiello shouldnt have been picked ahead of Hodgson. You'd think that Hodgson has proved himself worthy of a test spot during this whole season, but obviously not enough.. Most of those players picked are Test Regulars- so maybe the selectors were opting for a more, traditional and rigid squad rather than try anything different as theyve had so much success over the years. I dnt know about anyone but i think Andrew Ryan shouldnt be on the squad. Or Waterhouse. And Wing hasnt played all that well, but to miss out to Gower is abit shitty. lol, and i notice Kimmorley wasnt picked. :)Thankgod for Johns. But fuck, even though Johns is the "world's best player", he has no patriotism. He was opting to not play for us if Warrington had made the GF. Bastard barge ass.

Obviously, Tigers, Cowboys (and Sharks)will have players playing for NZ test. But it still doesnt excuse Australian selectors for not picking their players. LOL, well most of the Drags players are individually brilliant. As a team, theyre shit.

davo_

good kid
HSC
kimi said:
Yeah. That is effing stupid. And i agree too that Minichiello shouldnt have been picked ahead of Hodgson. You'd think that Hodgson has proved himself worthy of a test spot during this whole season, but obviously not enough.. Most of those players picked are Test Regulars- so maybe the selectors were opting for a more, traditional and rigid squad rather than try anything different as theyve had so much success over the years. I dnt know about anyone but i think Andrew Ryan shouldnt be on the squad. Or Waterhouse. And Wing hasnt played all that well, but to miss out to Gower is abit shitty. lol, and i notice Kimmorley wasnt picked. :)Thankgod for Johns. But fuck, even though Johns is the "world's best player", he has no patriotism. He was opting to not play for us if Warrington had made the GF. Bastard barge ass.

Obviously, Tigers, Cowboys (and Sharks)will have players playing for NZ test. But it still doesnt excuse Australian selectors for not picking their players. LOL, well most of the Drags players are individually brilliant. As a team, theyre shit.
I still think Mini is the best fullback in the comp (bar Locky), despite the awesome form of Hodgson, basically - he hasn't done anything wrong to lose his spot- infact he was one of Sydney's only good players this year. I was also surprised so few Tigers/Cowboys were selected - but as you say - alot of their gun players(particularly the Tigers) are New Zealanders. I think probably if Cowboys won a few more of their players would have been chosen compared to the Tigers. On your comment on Johns - I probably would have made the same decision- and I'm not lacking patriotism, the international comp is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)