• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NSW delays implementation of National Curriculum (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...for-nsw-students/story-e6freuzi-1226111998600

NSW students will not study the new national curriculum in 2013 after the state government yesterday delayed its implementation.

Cracks are appearing in the federal government's curriculum reform, with NSW the first state to pull out over concerns about its content.

Education Minister Adrian Piccoli said he was still committed to a national curriculum but was delaying its introduction into NSW schools until at least 2014. He would not rule out further delays if the commonwealth failed to address concerns.

NSW schools were due to teach the national curriculum in English, maths, science and history for kindergarten to Year 10 from 2013.

The Board of Studies raised concerns over the content and advised the government not to proceed.

Mr Piccoli said teachers needed training before teaching the new syllabus, which will cost $80 million over four years, and needed to be funded by the federal government.

Psychology

HSC
Our government is so damn embarrassing... Either way, it's good knowing this won't affect me anyway.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd rather they get it right than rush into it.

Psychology

HSC
Exactly, it's absurd how ignorant they are of how easily the media will pick up on this, and how rapidly they will be confronted by the public opinion and judging eye. Comon... How can we rely on such a dazed government.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
W00t NSW holding out hopefully till the new syllabus is fully fleshed out...tbh they should just slowly introduce the NSW curriculum everywhere as I like the NSW extension subjects and how the HS system is generally. Just kill off the VCE (like what the hell is with the GATs?) and the Queensland one :p

But it will be good one day when we do have a national curriculum that's fully fleshed out. Prob not be till like 2020 though.

HSC
thank gosh I'm outta here...but the stupid maths assessment process changed...lols

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Yeah the MC, MC isn't really for maths I don't think...because if the answers are similar enough they won't get partial marks even if they do most of the working right :(

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
W00t NSW holding out hopefully till the new syllabus is fully fleshed out...tbh they should just slowly introduce the NSW curriculum everywhere as I like the NSW extension subjects and how the HS system is generally. Just kill off the VCE (like what the hell is with the GATs?) and the Queensland one :p

But it will be good one day when we do have a national curriculum that's fully fleshed out. Prob not be till like 2020 though.
That's a pretty dodgy reason, mate. Honestly, the MX1 and MX2 syllabuses are a bit crap and the sciences are even worse!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)