• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nsw digital revolution {laptops for niners} (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I get one, plus im in year 11 =)

But if stuff is locked, im sure we can back it up, and do a clean format, screw the education system xD
I very much doubt that. On both parts.

The scheme was for year 9's and teachers. If another student got one it was against the government's wish and the school will probably get bitch slapped.

brendan_leo

HSC
Have you even taken it for a spin? The hardware is somewhat suitable for what it needs to do. I ran a couple of the CS4 programs and got a lil system lag, but that was all. As for Win7 being a power hog, i wouldnt know, i dont run it, but it must be better then vista.

Besides, 90% of the time they will be hooked up to a power source, meaning High Performance for most of that time.

Our school has just received our lot of laptops, and they're shipping with Windows 7 RTM. On the one I played around with, Aero runs fine, but because of the screen resolution, there's a link on the desktop to change to XGA res, because the Adobe CS4 suite doesn't like running on a tiny screen. Our school isn't allowing students to bring power supplies in, mainly because we don't have enough power outlets around.

I very much doubt that. On both parts.

The scheme was for year 9's and teachers. If another student got one it was against the government's wish and the school will probably get bitch slapped.
According to the people organising the DER, there are several states for the laptops. You have:

1) Unallocated. This is where the laptop has not been allocated to anybody.
2) Comissioned. After the first user login, the Comissioning agent runs, and from then on, only the user who ran the comissioning script will be able to login to that computer, hence it is "allocated"
3) Loan. This is the state that iRuler will have his laptop in. This mode is functionally equivalent to Comissioned, but the laptop will not be allocated to a particular person. This is the state that loan laptops to other students, and staff that don't teach year 9, will be in.
4) Lost. Self explanatory. Computrace locks down the system, making it worthless to a would-be thief.
5) Broken. Self explanatory again. These machines have been recovered, and are awaiting repair.
6) Written off. If you manage to blow your laptop up, and recover the pieces, this is the last of the states, where it will be removed from the DET asset register, and will cease to exist within the system.

As you can see, the DET has planned for other students and staff to get ahold of these laptops for "short term use", with the inclusion of the 3rd state.

brendan_leo

HSC
lucky you
Well it's up to the school. They get enough for every year 9, plus several extra, like 20% or something. It's the school's choice what happens with those, whether other students get them, or the staff that didn't get a T1 machine get the S1 lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)