• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NSW HSC Band 4 Maths (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hi, I am from QLD and I don't really understand your rankings for Math in NSW :)

I have heard of Ext 1, 2 & 3 maths. What is Band 4 maths?? Is there an ext 4 Maths out there????

Simo91

HSC
There is no ext 4 maths. There isn't even an ext 3 maths, only ext 1 and 2.

The 'band' relates to the score you received for your HSC mark.

Band 6: 90-99
Band 5: 80-89
Band 4: 70-79..etc etc.

So say you needed the equivalent of a band four, it would be whatever is the equivalent of getting a 70-79 for the HSC mark.

Simo91

HSC
I'm pretty sure extension subjects have different bands that range from E1 to E4. Don't quote me on it though. But from that, obviously E4 is the highest, with E1 being the lowest.

I would say the Board of Studies would have some sort of criteria of bands for extension subjects, and they would be much, much more reliable than I could be on extension bands haha.

shady145

Banned
HSC
I'm pretty sure extension subjects have different bands that range from E1 to E4. Don't quote me on it though. But from that, obviously E4 is the highest, with E1 being the lowest.

I would say the Board of Studies would have some sort of criteria of bands for extension subjects, and they would be much, much more reliable than I could be on extension bands haha.
yea it is different

also to OP i understand QLD has 3 math levels
A maths
B maths
C maths

in NSW we have 4 levels of math, NSW offers an extra, more difficult course according to my careers advisor.
general maths
mathematics
mathematics extension one
mathematics extension two

the levels go together like this

A maths (qld) = general maths (nsw)
B maths (qld) = mathematics (nsw)
C maths (qld) = mathematics extension one (nsw)
beyong QLD secondary education = Mathematics extension two

i live 30 mins away from qld and so i am considering going to a qld uni. so i ask my career advisor about ur education and thats what he told me about math. hope that helped

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
QLD don't have a 4U equivelant maths? How boring... MX2 is so exciting and fun... even if you can't figure it! The frustration of MX2 is fun.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
QLD don't have a 4U equivelant maths? How boring... MX2 is so exciting and fun... even if you can't figure it! The frustration of MX2 is fun.
4 unit is overrated.

slightly challenging here now and then except one or two which are very difficult.

shady145

Banned
HSC
i suppose it just means if u go from nsw yr 12 to to qld uni, with a bunch of other qld yr 12's going to their first year uni u will have an advantage in the mathemaics department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)