• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NTG Heaney Poetry (1 Viewer)

northbank

HSC
I am in dire need of some understanding of ANYTHING of these poems in relation to this bullshit topic. if anyone could pm me some notes or info it would be greatly appreciated and def wont go un noticed if you need anything in return

E

Empyrean444

Yeah this topic is pretty shit. I can't offer any "notes" (I haven't acutally worked on the poems myself, as of yet) but I know that he is ver postcolonial, and is focused on the devastation caused to Ireland by British rule (which is/was (relating it back to the syllabus) imperialistic and colonial (check context in regards to this for each poem in particular). I think his prescribed method allowing Irish culture (the "local", in this case) to survive global rule (I think epitomised by the occupying British) is to retreat from it (which, I think, would involve rejecting most of it or counter attacking against it). Bear in mind global tactics and strategies (in many ways quite ironically) are needed to combat the global's infringements on local culture.

Wish I could say more, but I really haven't studied them yet

ToastyGoodness

HSC
Well the main thing that i believe you should focus on is Heaney as a Global figure looking into the Local inturn allowing him to NTG thus creating meaning and purpose. The poems ive used to support this is Personal Helicon
and Digging.

redhead8

HSC
Heaney's poetry is pretty post-colonial rather than focused on NTG, but you can spin it so that colonisation is used as an example of globalisation. Coz he was educated in English, in England, he's a global person, but he still wants to connect to Irish traditions and culture. Digging is all about him deciding to use poetry to show the world the Ireland he loves, so its probably the best one of his we've studied so far (at least for this course).
Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)