nuclear chemistry again... (1 Viewer)

ftist

can someone please tell me what the difference is between dot point 5.2.2 "describe how transuranic elements are produced" and 5.2.3 "describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced" is? my teacher says that transuranic elements are the same as commercial radioactive isotopes but i just dont understand y there would be two separate dot points if that was true...
please help me!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I guess transuranic elements include any artificial radioisotope produced.

Commercial radioisotopes are ones that are used commercially such as Americum.

But production of them is pretty much the same though.

Sush

well its true that they are basically the same however they are different strictly speaking in that they will be different examples, hence the different dot points because you will be referring to different radioisotopes in each. Commercial RADIOISOTOPES are those producedspecifically forl commercial use in industry, medicine or research, while in the one for transuranic elements it is asking you how ELEMENTS beyond uranium "transURANIC" elements are produced because they do not occur naturally, so must be produced by bombarding uranium with neutrons. So they are pretty much just different situations and for different reasons, although the process is very similar.

hope that helps and makes some sense!! thats just what I understood by it, so if its not right anyone feel free to correct that!:)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Also, commercially produced radioisotopes can be like Cobalt-60, which is not transuranic since its below uranium.

ftist

thanks guys...that was realli helpful...i thought my teacher was wrong or sumthin...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)