Number of Coils vs Area of Coils (1 Viewer)

icie

For some reason, my physics teacher got it into her head to get us to make AC generators for the holidays.

Ahahaha. I am so amused.

In any case, here is the question:

We know that by increasing the number of coils or increasing the area of the coils, we can increase the induced current.

However, which option will produce the most current, if we are using a limited length of wire?

Also, keep in mind that increasing the area of the coils will have to increase the soft iron core mass and the distance between the two magnets, thus weakening the magnetic field.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
This isn't an answer but remember shape is important to (circular should be most efficent ..)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
jus keep in mind that emf is d(phi)/dt multiplied by number of turns

where (phi)=BA

i spose just maximise ur number of turns and area.. maybe use some calculus to figure out the most effecient:D

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
*raises eyebrow* Hmm, finding practicality in calculus at this age, who would've thought?! :rolleyes:

mrman

Wouldnt it just be better to increase the number of coils and make the area small, because by making it smaller, wouldnt u increase ur magnetic field as well. So while Area goes down, B and n are increase.

Thats just my two cents.

professor

Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
*raises eyebrow* Hmm, finding practicality in calculus at this age, who would've thought?! :rolleyes:
i was thinking of saying something like that...differient the formula and work out the max. but somehow i know its not going to work

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by professor

i was thinking of saying something like that...differient the formula and work out the max. but somehow i know its not going to work
hmm... lemme c:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)