Number of issues for an Effectiveness Essay (1 Viewer)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
ok so I'm doing an effectiveness essay for Family Law, and I'm just wondering: Do you think 2 paragraphs for the Individual, and 2 paragraphs for Society, totalling 4 issues will be enough for a good essay? I could do 3 for each, But I'm thinking, with the length my paragraphs are turning out to be, i'll end up trying to write more than i'm able to, and not finish. I'll post what i have done for the Individual in this essay (just imagine 2 paragraphs for Society of similar quality coming after)

A key area in which the justice system aims to provide justice for the individual is equality. Equality means everyone must be treated equally under the law. In the area of divorce, the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) created a more equitable process, introducing such concepts as no-fault based divorce. Prior to this Act, under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1959 (Cth) divorce laws tended to favour men, and as a result men gained more property, and custody of children more often. The Family Law act, with its introduction of such concepts as no-fault based divorce succeeded in creating a greater equality for women, and an overall more equitable divorce process. Through reform of the Family Law Act in various amendments, such as the Family Law Reform Act 1995 (Cth) which improved equality and protection of children and their rights by requiring both parents to be responsible for their care, Governments have effectively continued to improve on equality in Family Law. However, By its nature Family Law does not treat everyone equally for example children are seen as more vulnerable, so treated differently to adults. This can be seen as restrictive of achieving equality in Family Law, but it ultimately strives to protect those less able to protect their own rights, and through this achieve equality. Therefore, overall, Family Law can be seen achieving, through legislation, their aim of constantly improving equality.

For the law to be truly effective, it must be effectively enforced. By its nature, many issues coming under Family Law do not need enforcement the primary focus is on Alternative Dispute Resolution. However, an area that does need enforcement is domestic violence. Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders (ADVOs) are made under the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) to prevent threatened domestic violence. ADVOs are restricted in their enforcement They are only effective if the person to which they apply takes the order seriously, and desists. However, their enforcement has been strengthened by the Crimes Amendment (Apprehended Violence) Act 1999 (NSW). Also needing enforcement is the area of child support. Non-payment of child support is referred to the Child Support Agency (CSA) who collect and enforce payments. The CSA has a wide range of options in enforcing payment, including garnishing wages, intercepting tax refunds, and taking court action, and therefore, through referring the issue of child support enforcement to the CSA, Family Law can effectively enforce in this area. However, the stigma attached to some issues under Family Law, such as domestic violence and child abuse means many cases are not reported The Australian Bureau of Statistics state only 20% of women who experience domestic violence report it to the police. Therefore many instances of such crimes fail to be enforced, as they are not reported. But despite these restrictions, Family Law overall can be seen as effective in maintaining and increasing enforceability through such avenues as legislation, use of ADVOs, and the CSA.

Last edited:

Golani

um um um it's a good start, though you still have many more issues to talk about. Bear in mind that the syllabus provides for all the issues, including resource efficiency and accessibility, and therefore it's a good idea to discuss these as well. Cut those paragraphs in half for each and make sure you address most, if not all of the issues.
That's what i'm doing

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
You're kidding?! Youre going to talk about effectiveness through
Equality
Enforceability
Accessibility
Resource efficiency
Protection
Recognition of individual rights

For the individual, then do a similar amount of issues for society? What is that, like 10 paragraphs? how could you possibly go into any reasonably detailed discussion in exam time?

Nupil

HSC
N/A
But you've got to be aware what the most important aspects of the effectiveness are for each ... right?

For example - resource efficiency is a much more important concern for individuals than society as a whole, as they're the ones that suffer any legal cuts etc ... so that wouldn't be doubling up.

Atleast that's how I imagine you'd do it ... reference slightly that these are the ways effectiveness/justice is measured but there's an emphasis placed on this: ______ for the individual, and this: ______ for society.

Does that make any sense? It did in my head - but looks all funny now.

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
I understand what you're saying
I've always just done effectiveness for the individual issues 1 paragraph each, then effectiveness for society issues 1 paragraph each...not mixed together

Golani

i'm setting it out like so:

Intro

Achieving justice for individuals
Equality
Accessibility
Enforceability
Resource efficiency
Protection and recognition of individual rights

Achieving justice for society
Resource efficiency
Law as a reflection of community standards and expectations
Balance of indivudual rights and values and community rights and values

Conclusion

all around it comes down to around 4 to 4.5 pages of typed up pages.

it's doable

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by FLR-IT
just hope that is it an effectiveness question
lol I'm studying law reform and issues and remedies too
I'm hoping one of the family questions will be law reform, cos thats what i know more of

chip

HSC
i reckon there will be one effective OR a law reform

i think for effectiveness i try to talk about three issues how they have progressed over time and how people have acess to them being my main points

i find it hard to talk about all the things on the syllabus and i'm sure there not looking for all of them for two issues in a forty minute essay

Golani

My teacher always told us that we have to try and integrate asmany issues from the syllabus as possible. Thing is no one says you have to write a 500 word paragraph on each, just decribe all the really important issues for each one and yuo're sweet.

Anywas, i sure as hell hope we'll get either effectiveness or reform coz that's what i'm studying :p

G-d help me i hope they don't go with some weird ass alternative questions

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by Golani

G-d help me i hope they don't go with some weird ass alternative questions
Yeah exactly, I'm kind of worried that they might
I thought that the 2 questions had to be uniform across all option topics, but now i'm told thats not the case ....

Nupil

HSC
N/A
They don't have to be - that's the trend. The 'trend' only being over two papers ... so really, the BOS can do what they want.

BUT I've just chatted to some lovely people on the Advice Line and it was claimed that across the board Law Reform stumped them last year; with there either being fantastic responses or really really weak responses, so they're hoping that they wont give something like Law Reform and Moral+Ethics - because it's considered that these areas of the syllabus don't cater to everyone (i.e: they wont have very many mediocre responses)

I think I'm getting obsessed with this Moral+Ethical component. However I still hold fast that remedies wont be tested.

Meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)