Number of issues for each essay (1 Viewer)

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
How many issues are you planning to cover in your legal studies essays?

I'm doing family and workplace and im thinking of doing either 3 or 4 for each.

I have another question. Do you get more marks with the more legislation, cases and meda reports you mention? I've got like 3 or 4 cases, around 2 media reports and a fair bit of legislation for each essay.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah i hope i dont have a bad day on the morning of the exam and completely leave out important stuff...sometimes i just keep on writing and then im like "did u actually have any examples, legislation etc...?" no- start again

santaslayer

HSC
I did 3 for every essay...i still found it hard to complete all essays in the required time...

Lorie

HSC
I guess ti depends on how much deapth you go into each point, but around 3 or 4 should be sweet. Using cases, acts, treaties and media files are good. Make sure to use them to back up your statements and be should to explain them (the marker may not have heard of them).

Sophie777

They want to see a sustained, logical and well written essay supported by relevant legislation, cases etc. They will not give you marks just for giving these such things as any idiot can memorise legislation. They need to be relevant and in small but sufficient numbers. what you mentioned sounds fine.

overthaedge

HSC
Yeah, I'm doing four issues for both tech and family. Yeah, I agree with Sophie, they tend to require an effective use of LCMD, not a bombardment of it. And you're under a constrained time period, so theres only going to be so much you can write whilst being succinct.

vanbanned

Banned
HSC
N/A
Like in Family Law for example, you would answer the question in terms of issues, such as the Dissolution of Marriage, Domestiv Violence, Alternative Family Arrangements (De facto, etc.).....shit like that. Family sucks anyway.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
i don't really have any media reports. Will i get marked down for it? cos i have one or two, i just can't remember the stupid things...

Sophie777

No, you won't. They don't want them just so they have them, you need things that support your argument. It will be fine.

angel_babe

HSC
Sophie777

i hav a logicallly written essay that i got 24/25 for.

“How effectively does the law reflect moral and ethical standards in the workplace”

Some moral and ethical standards in relation to the workplace are controversial due to the differing perspectives held by those in the workplace. Such issues include negotiations and changes to contracts, breech of an employment contract . Some moral principals are more generally accepted by both employers and employees such as safety in the workplace. However, the interpretation of this moral standard is controversial as statutes and common law cases reflect differing understandings of how this generally held moral standard is interpreted and applied. Although the legal system has attempted to reflect these various moral standards through statutes such as the Workplace Relations Act, precedents handed down by the courts and government bodies such as the AIRC, evaluating how effectively the legal system reflects moral and ethical standards depends on ones perspective.

Negotiations and Changes to Contract

A key characteristic of a just law is that it stresses consensus and social cohesion. It is therefore reasonable to consider this to be a commonly held moral and ethical standard in the Australian workplace. It is questionable whether this standard is being met under the current system of wage determination. Under the current system wages can be determined by a certified agreement (with a union), AWA’s (without a union), private agreements or a safety net wage rise. Because there exists four different methods of determining an employee’s wage unanimity is not achieved as agreements may vary . The provisions under the Workplace Relations Act allowing such methods of wage determination advocate discord and potentially encourage industrial disputes within workplaces. Thus it becomes apparent that the legal system in its current state does not effectively reflect the moral standard of achieving consensus and social cohesion.

It could be argued that the previous centralized system under Accord 1 was more effective in achieving consensus because all wages were determined according to the rate of inflation. This was done by getting business groups, governments and unions to agree on what was best for all parties involved. Therefore directly achieving consensus and social cohesion. Those supporting centralized wage determination would demonstrate the ineffectiveness of the legal system in achieving this moral standard by citing the dispute between the MUA and Patrick Stevedores (the Waterfront Dispute). They would argue that the legal system indirectly encouraged Patrick’s to dismiss workers and rehire them on individual contracts. However, a counter argument is that there were more strikes under the Accord System than the current system, which may conflict with the moral standard of living in frugal comfort as established by the Harvester Judgement.

Breech of Employment Contract

The rule of law and procedural fairness are generally accepted ethical standards, which should apply when conflicts arise between employer and employee. There exists concern over whether this standard is being met by the provisions on dismissal administered by the Workplace Relations Act. The dismissal by notice provision cited in this act can be seen as effective for employers, as it allows them to remove employees from the organisation thereby giving them the opportunity to replace them or prevent them from further depleting company resources or sabotaging the operation. However, one attribute of this provision is that the employee must be given two weeks “paid” notice. This creates a potential injustice for the employer, furthermore not an effective reflection of this ethical standard. If an employee was unproductive and did not fulfill their duty to the employer, hence the reason for dismissal, it is unjust that the employer be forced to pay the employee for a further two weeks, Therefore, in this regard the legal system can be seen as ineffective in reflecting the ethical standard of abiding by the concepts of the rule of law and procedural fairness. Perhaps the legal system should adopt a more interventionalist ideology, this would enable the state to determine the nature of such issues and take action accordingly, reflecting this ethical standard. Although, administering such intervention would incur a substantial cost, which may not be viable.

Safety in the Workplace

One moral standard which is more generally accepted amongst those in the workplace is the issue of safety. A key feature of a just law, and therefore a generally held moral standard, is the requirement that laws take into account limitations in material resources.

Although this may be a generally held moral standard its interpretation and application are subject to much debate. The occupational Health and Safety Act could be accused of not properly considering this standard. The requirement potentially ignores this ethic. To satisfy this requirement and those stated in the OHS Act and the Dangerous Goods Act substantial resources must be allocated, which may militate against this moral right.

It is open to interpretation as to what extent employers should provide a safe system of work, however enforcing stringent standards as established in common law cases such as Paris v Stephony Bourgh Council where a man with one eye was injured working with machinery, the court found that employers had an obligation to provide a safe system of work. Whilst an employer should have an obligation to provide a safe system of work, it is not just to force an employer to provide such a system that is beyond their limitations. However, the legal system will enforce stringent standards through statutes, and bodies such as Workcover which potentially may interfere with the operation of the business. Thus, the legal system can be seen as ineffective in reflecting the moral standard of considering limitations in material resources. However, if the law were not to enforce such standards it could be criticized for not providing adequate safety standards thereby not protecting the well-being of employees

Have fun!!!

username

HSC
I did that q for my trial. You used one case study, how did you get 24.

angel_babe

HSC
If you hav ever written a good legal studied essay, you would know you can substitute the theme words as well as the topics. It was actually a question on struture and not area topics. Grow a brain!

Tammie

in the exam you have to use LCMD's but for the top mark in a long response u onlt need like 2-4 to get it...as long as your response explains discusses and argues the statement + question your bound to get up near the top n e ways....

username

HSC
ahh kk, cause i got 24 for consumers and 25 for workplace, and i used a heaps of case studies. I was just wondering if we had to no as many as i learnt, i guess it helped me explain my essay anywa.

Sophie777

angel_babe said:
If you hav ever written a good legal studied essay, you would know you can substitute the theme words as well as the topics. It was actually a question on struture and not area topics. Grow a brain!
You were asking ME a question on structure? I don't do workplace, I was wondering why you said 'Have fun' as if I was going to use it?

How come I have to grow a brain, I mean really, If i didn't have one I don't think i'd be alive... what part of my body would maintain all the natural processes? Or were you speaking to someone else?

Very good essay, congratulations. Touch wood you didn't speak too soon. It is hardly intelligent to assume that you posting a workplace essay would communicate automatically to me, that you were educating people in the forum on structure. Why would I, two days before the exam, read an essay on a different area study even though you talk about moral standards? The standards used to apply to your examples have no relevance whatsoever to me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)