number of issues? (1 Viewer)

how many issues would you use

• 2 issues covered in great detail (about 10 pages)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 4 small issues covered in medium detail

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • 1 huge issue covered in major detail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 big issues convered in little detail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

connie

HSC
N/A
do people think it is acceptable to deal with only two issues, if they are major issues and you could not deal with them in less than 10 pages?

or is it better to deal with 4 smaller issues in less detail?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
In my trial i did 3 issues covered pretty well. In the HSC Im gunna aim for 4, mainly cos I know more on it than my other extended response and can take up a bit more time. I'll be aiming for 5-6 A4 pages (I don't know how many booklet pages that is), but covering them in reasonable detail.

connie

HSC
N/A
i guess it really depends on the issue, see i like the issue of children's rights because there is heaps of legislation and international law and cases and reports on it, i could write the whole thing on it, same with domestic violence, but if you pick a smaller issue like adoption then i guess you would need 3 other issues to "beef" your essay up

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I like to show that I have a varied knowledge not just concentrate it on a few things I guess. And in the trials part of the criteria read 'clearly identifies and discusses several issues facing the focus group', several meaning more than two. The people who did 2 in our trial didn't reach that criteria and lost marks.

connie

HSC
N/A
oh me too in my trial i did four issues but it depends on the question, if it specifically asks for issues, eg. "with reference to legal issues faced by family members, discuss remedies and the difficulties in gaining access to these remedies" so ofcourse for a question like that you incorporate as many issues as you could

but for the question i'm doing now, "evaluate the effectiveness of the legal system in responding to changing community values in terms of achieving justice for family members." there is so much to say on how childrens rights have changed that i am only doing that and recognition of same-sex relationships, because under those headings are many more issues...

plus the criteria says:

apply criteria to evaluate the effectiveness of the legal system or to assess the place of the law

demonstrate an understanding of relevant legal information and issues

ilustrate your answer with examples of legislation...

present a sustaind...

so it does say issues on there, which could be two, on yours it said several issues, so you would want to do a minimum three, i guess thats why they stress to read the rubric

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yep with an issue like that I spose its up to you what you wanna write about.

But it actually didn't say 'several' issues on the rubric it just said issues. Im talking about the marking criteria.

What trial did you do?

connie

HSC
N/A
i'm pretty sure it was the independant, our school put its own cover on it though so i'm not 100% sure, it is definately either the catholic or independent our school never writes its own.

u?

connie

HSC
N/A
another question i had in regards to issues is, do we have to assess every criteria of effectiveness for every issue, eg. 1)children -equality, accessibility, enforceability... 2) de facto's -equality, access....

or

can we use bits of criteria for different issues,
eg. 1) equality-married couples/de facto's
2) accessibility -children
3) enforceability -domestic violence...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You can do it either way, but the second way would allow you to show your knowledge of the entire topic

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by connie
i'm pretty sure it was the independant, our school put its own cover on it though so i'm not 100% sure, it is definately either the catholic or independent our school never writes its own.

u?
Did your law & society short answer have a question bout state sovereignty? And crime had something bout a stolen car with ecstasy tablets in the glovebox? Cos thats what we did and it was the independent

connie

HSC
N/A
yep thats the one! how'd u go in it?

connie

HSC
N/A
oh our school took out workplace and we had to 2 family because we hadnt finished the workplace topic yet.

btw that is a really good mark!

HannieStar

Define 'BIG' and 'SMALL' issues- I do World Order and Indigenous Peoples and they all seem to be 'BIG' issues....

Ringo

What I've always done is look at a syllabus dot point, say in Family: 'Alternative Family Arrangements', and then look at 2-3 examples from it.

I did okay in Legal too, though not as good as YEAR12 ;)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Ringo
THATS buggering up???

Geez good on ya.
For me it is. Id like to get higher in the exams but we'll see what happens on the day I guess.

mememe

In the CSSA trial for workplace the essay was on (something like) issues and remedies faced by those who have had their employment terminated. It was on one specific dot point. Are they likely to do that in the HSC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)