Nursing '09 (1 Viewer)

pippipoo

HSC
Who's aiming to get into nursing?

What Uni?

Why?

Any experience?

I have been working at a nursing home since I was 15... Im well prepared. I think Iv seen the worst of it anatomically... Iv showered old men and women, cleaned up a hell of alot of shit, bodybagged a deceased woman, and held up numerous vomiting people, rubbed cream on a 90 year old's hoohoo and have seen the "glories" of a suppository insertion. It isn't pretty but someone has to do it. The worst bit is im planning to do it all as a career :S haha

Just to let you know, anybody who gets over 90, gets a full scholarship to train at Avondale collage in Wahroonga.

09 Nurses... UNITE!!

suzieee

HSC
i'm a second year student at UNE. lol sorry but i dont think you have seen the worst of it anatomically... i'm pretty sure you will get a chance to see and do all of those on your first prac :) worst experience i can think of at the moment was a prac in ICU where someone i have known for ages came in very close to death :( that was scary.
wht uni are you going to?
i might be biased but i'd recommend UNE- whenever we go on prac people comment on how great une nurses are ompared to the other unis lol :) apparrently its cos we do lots of prac
they've just brought in a new course- you can finish at the end of second year as a medications endorsed enrolled nurse. i'm doing that but i'm returning for third year as well :)
and i had no experience before i started lol

rozymisty

HSC
I will be doing hopefully my midwifery degree next year. Going to do it through ACU, they have really good reputation when it comes to midwifery

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
uhhh hun, ACU has THE WORST REP. ever. Half of their 2007 graduating year were refused registration by the nmb in 08 - i work with a few who did manage to register and they tell me those who were refused will not be able to apply to register till atleast 2010. Thats disgusting and I would never trust them.

Tell me more of une suzzieee - and I agree with ya bout seeing the worst LOL.

I'm an EEN, have been for a few years and worked as an AIN before that. I've worked ICU, HDU, CICU, ED - trust me hun, nursing homes show you nothing. I've worked in nursing homes, it's really bland. But if you have been doing it for a few years and enjoy it, you will probably love hospital nursing. Many undergrad RNs hate the aged care aspect and i've seen many with the attitude "I'm an RN, i should have to shower/clean/toilet people" The experience you have there means you've already won the first battle, and will probably be alot better in prac than your peers. Mind you, don't let people know you are an AIN, or many will treat you as one, instead of a student, which is what you are.

HSC
Woah wow denied registration!! thats crazy! How come they were denied? and what do they have to do to get registered now???

UTS is one of the most reputable nursing uni's in NSW and it is great as ive been at it now for 2 yrs :)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
It was something to do with course content, and the nmb said certain subjects (electives im assuming if a few got in) were not upto standard and ruled registering people who completed a substandard nursing course would be too dangerous. So now they will have to do extra subjects in 2009 to be upto sratch (they didn't find out they wouldn't be registered until uni had already commenced so they had to wait till 2009 intake) and then will have to re-apply in 2010.

Gleb1

HSC
Nursing '09
Who's aiming to get into nursing? me :wave:

What Uni? University of Western Sydney

Why? my brother is a regisitered nurse i pratically do Assistance in Nursing as a HSC course and i love it and my father have been encouraging me to do it

Any experience? AIN student workexperience in the holidays in campbeltown hospital.

pippipoo

HSC
Gleb1 said:
Nursing '09
Who's aiming to get into nursing? me :wave:

What Uni? University of Western Sydney

Why? my brother is a regisitered nurse i pratically do Assistance in Nursing as a HSC course and i love it and my father have been encouraging me to do it

Any experience? AIN student workexperience in the holidays in campbeltown hospital.
High five!! Im trying for UWS too:)

emma-joy

HSC
i planning to aim for medicine/surgery however if i dont make that my next preference is nursing
at monash uni
and i have no past experience

HolyDang

HSC
Who's aiming to get into nursing? HAI HAI! Yes, me.

What Uni? Hopefully Queensland University of Technology.

Why? I want to help people. Period.

Any experience? Nope :spin:

Can't wait until Anatomy and Physiology starts, I'm gonna have fun slaughtering it. :skip:

CowgirlEmily

HSC
I'm aiming to get into B. Midwifery at UC
It's not quite nursing but I don't think there's many people interested in midwifery so I'll just jump in here :)

marshmello

HSC
Who's aiming to get into nursing? I am, I am!

What Uni? La Trobe or Monash...there the only 2 local uni's

Why? I've been in and out of hospital since I was a child. I really admired what the nurses did for me and decided when I was about 10 that that was what I wanted to do

Any experience? I worked in an aged care home for a little bit but other then that not really :/

Nickytoto

HSC
uhhh hun, ACU has THE WORST REP. ever. Half of their 2007 graduating year were refused registration by the nmb in 08 - i work with a few who did manage to register and they tell me those who were refused will not be able to apply to register till atleast 2010. Thats disgusting and I would never trust them.
Ouch, sounds suspiciously like the the uni wanted people to repeat subjects so they would get more money...

I've heard of from one of my teachers that 3rd UWS students didn't complete some sort of subject so they couldn't register that year, and there was a really big scandal, I'm not sure if it's the same story twisted around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)