Nursing and Education are no longer National Priorities (1 Viewer)

Dombrovski

HSC
I was writing a university guide for one of my friends who is starting uni next year. He is doing Arts (Photography), and I went to have a look at the bandings for Visual Arts subjects.

I was really surprised to find that Nursing and Education have been bumped back up to Band 1 subjects. That leaves Maths, Stats and Science as the only national priorities.

I double checked on the “going to uni” government site, and found the same thing.

It would be interesting to see if this impacts the amount of new nursing and/or teaching students for 2010.

Sorry if this isn’t anything new, but I thought I would share, coz I sure as hell had no idea this had occurred...

Dombrovski

HSC
Education and Nursing still appears to be National Priorities
What you pay
For 2009, but not for 2010 Commencing Students

This is where I found it first... in 2009, they are listed as NPs but for 2010, they have been knocked off...
Division of Finance - Charles Sturt University

Then if you look at the PDF for 2010, on page 28
- Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP

You will see that they have been removed...

I am a little disappointed about the nursing, but I'm kinda happy about the education change to be honest.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Yep, the 2010 info's been on the Going To Uni site for a couple of months now. I figure that if you were drawn into the careers of teaching or nursing solely based on the previous lower HECS fees, then you really aren't going to survive for very long in the world of teaching or nursing.

The Ed students have other incentives (from memory) such as if they go into Maths or Science teaching in a public school after graduating, they get some of their HECS paid off by the govt... which is probably better than subsidising those that head off to the private sector with lower HECS fees for all. Plus then the govt can direct what areas of Ed are subsidised. There are heaps of Art teachers around, don't need to promote careers there. There is also much, much less of a shortage in Primary teaching than in hard to staff areas such as (3&4 yr trained) Early Childhood and Science/Maths Secondary teaching.

As for nursing, there are many scholarships out there and the change of the Enrolled Nursing Program to be diploma level and out of hospital settings, maybe they are hoping more will start from the ground up rather than straight to uni?

The science incentives might encourage those looking to doing commerce or IT degrees over to the dark side as it isn't necessarily a career that you have to have the heart for (unlike teaching or nursing).

That's my two cents. Bring back free uni for all and then there wouldn't be any argument between bands!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)