nursing as a undergrad course for graduate med (1 Viewer)

eddy11

HSC
Would nursing graduates stand a good chance of getting into a graduate med course? i really want to do medicine, but in the case that i may not be able to i want to have a degree behind me that lets me work in a career that i would enjoy, because either way i want to work in health. As i dont want to live in the city nor work in a lab which rules out Bmedsci or Bscience, nursing seems to be a good choice for me, my only worry is that it mightn't set me up for GAMSAT well, thoughts?

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
eddy11 said:
Would nursing graduates stand a good chance of getting into a graduate med course? i really want to do medicine, but in the case that i may not be able to i want to have a degree behind me that lets me work in a career that i would enjoy. As i dont want to live in the city nor work in a lab, nursing seems to be a good choice for me, my only worry is that it mightn't set me up for GAMSAT well, thoughts?
That's a difficult question to answer. Quite a few nurses end up doing medicine but usually later life after they concede to a career change, but i don't see why other mature aged students would be disadvantaged from entering medicine from a different field. Another question is if you don't get in, will you be happy with nursing?

There are alot of GAMSAT preparation courses that prepare students for the sciences and essay writing. But it's all up to the student to put in the dedication to get the marks, but then again it's GAMSAT :eek: .

HSC
In terms of preparing you for the basis of medical/health knowledge and an understanding of how health care systems work yes definately. It may not prepare entirely for some aspects of the GAMSAT, but if you are dedicated that shouldnt be too hard.

But as Wooz stated, would you be happy with nursing as a life long career if you are not accepted into medicine? As a nurse you really have to be dedicated to what you do, just like any other healthcare professional.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
In terms of preparing you for the basis of medical/health knowledge and an understanding of how health care systems work yes definately. It may not prepare entirely for some aspects of the GAMSAT, but if you are dedicated that shouldnt be too hard.

But as Wooz stated, would you be happy with nursing as a life long career if you are not accepted into medicine? As a nurse you really have to be dedicated to what you do, just like any other healthcare professional.
GAMSAT tests first year sciences, yr 12 physics, humanities, multiple choice reasoning, etc. It does not test any medical or health related knowledge, nor does the exam assume any.

eddy11

HSC
i'd definitely be happy with nursing as a career, just be more happy as a doctor thats all

HSC
Wooz said:
GAMSAT tests first year sciences, yr 12 physics, humanities, multiple choice reasoning, etc. It does not test any medical or health related knowledge, nor does the exam assume any.
Yeps i just meant that if he were to get into the grad med course it would be helpful, not wasted thats all.

HSC
N/A
Yea i was going to apply for med 09 at UNCLE from CDU but swaped mid year to do nursing at UNCLE to get my grades up (i was external at CDU) so now im hopeing to swap to med 2010 at UNCLE ill be 2nd yr Bnursing student by then.

There was another girl how has swapped from nursing to med but as said before she had been a nurse for a while and then swaped

HSC
If u were going to be a 2nd yr student wouldnt u just do the 1 yr left and then try for grad med, at least ud have the nursing course behind u to get parttime work in the industry? just a suggestion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)