Nursing (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hi, could anyone here tell me a bit about nursing at UWS? I would like to know as much as possible about it, I have read the prospectus but I feel like that never gives you a realistic impression. What are the lectures like? Clinicals? Work load - can I still manage a part-time job? Roughly how much time you spend in class and working on assignments, etc? I would like to keep working while at uni if possible. Also, do you have to do a prac at a nursing home? I am not particuarly interested in going into geriatrics. This may seem a little vain but what are the clinical uniforms like? Are they comfy?? What are the assignments like? Obviously with the science you can't really sway one way or the other on what is the answer, so is it hard to make your essays etc stand out? (I come from a political science/international relations background so its very subjective in terms of writing pieces). Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it!!

P.S. how do find the surgical pracs?

-juLie-

meep
HSC
Hi!
The prac uniform isnt anything to get excited about. Its either a dress or a blouse/overtop and pants. The lectures arent too bad just like with other degrees, I guess it varies on the subject and lecturer. You can still manage a part time job, might need to take time off though when clinical is on cos its both am and pm shifts.
Im not sure exactly what clinical is like at UWS as I have just transferred from another uni and havnt had clinical yet. But my previous clinical experiences have been great.
Hope that helps you out a little bit.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
If you would like to know more about any UWS courses you should call the UWS Course Inofrmation Centre on 1800 897 669. It is serviced by current UWS students so they can tell you what it is like to study at UWS, and if you have really specific questions they can put you in touch with the course advisor.

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
purplemonkey said:
What are the lectures like? Clinicals? Work load - can I still manage a part-time job? Roughly how much time you spend in class and working on assignments, etc? I would like to keep working while at uni if possible.
lectures=boring, yet interesting if you have done the pre-reading. If you haven't they are going to assume you have and if you're like me, you find that it is boring and should of stayed in bed.

clinicals start 1st year 2nd sem, in the first sem they have a clinical immersion week, but it is at the EQ building on campus and they test you on the basics.

I spend about ~30hrs of class a week

on top of that i give about ~10 hours to all my asubjects with pre-reading and doing my assesments.

As longs as you organize your life on a monthly basis you'll be fine i'm coping quite well and i'm working a AIN job as well as retail at city beach, and a full time student and still have extra time to go out and get smashed on top of uni work.

Also, do you have to do a prac at a nursing home? I am not particuarly interested in going into geriatrics. This may seem a little vain but what are the clinical uniforms like? Are they comfy??
no, hospitals but i'm working in an age care facility.

They are comfy i suggest that you get the dress cause it's cheaper than buyinmng pants and a shirt

What are the assignments like? Obviously with the science you can't really sway one way or the other on what is the answer, so is it hard to make your essays etc stand out? (I come from a political science/international relations background so its very subjective in terms of writing pieces).
most of them in 1st year are case studies, 2 essays and thats it... kinda because alot of the people are Enrolled nurses and Assistants in Nursing so they know a greater understanding of basic nursing than you do.

hhmm hope i helped. PM me if u need more info.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Ah well you probably will have to do prac in an aged care facility. If you dont do it in a nursing home, it will be done in a hospital, where the only deviation from a nursing home is, in hospital, they are in delirium, and usually have shit like CVCs and IDCs they feel the need to yank out and bleed EVERYWHERE and hit you when you try and help then. The best and most interesting AC place i worked was the garrawarra centre, for high care dementia cases.

As far as essays go, I came from a social sciences background, history spec. but the rules are the same. Science side not so much, but you still need to be able to explain to your lecturer, using your scientific knowledge, why portal hypertension can lead to renal failure, or how diabetes can cause peripheral vascular insufficency. shit like that, good luck!

Also, does anyone have any info B Nursing (Advanced)? Im an EN and want to go back to uni and do my RNs :)

dilroy

HSC
Is it possible to do some form of traineeship working as a Nurse but also attend university at the same time, e.g. a 3 day shift + 2 day theory at uni (part-time) or something along those lines.
Is the course difficult by itself? I know of a few people who do Nursing in hoping to later trainsition to a MD, both male and female.

-juLie-

meep
HSC
I dont think there is any form of traineeship that you can do through uni.
I know with the trainee enrolled nurse program that you do through tafe is both theory and shifts at the hospital.
Overall the course isnt too bad, like anything it has its easy periods and then at other times it can be a bit of a challenge.

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Ah well you probably will have to do prac in an aged care facility. If you dont do it in a nursing home, it will be done in a hospital, where the only deviation from a nursing home is, in hospital, they are in delirium, and usually have shit like CVCs and IDCs they feel the need to yank out and bleed EVERYWHERE and hit you when you try and help then. The best and most interesting AC place i worked was the garrawarra centre, for high care dementia cases.

As far as essays go, I came from a social sciences background, history spec. but the rules are the same. Science side not so much, but you still need to be able to explain to your lecturer, using your scientific knowledge, why portal hypertension can lead to renal failure, or how diabetes can cause peripheral vascular insufficency. shit like that, good luck!

Also, does anyone have any info B Nursing (Advanced)? Im an EN and want to go back to uni and do my RNs :)
Hi white rabbit, i know that at UTS they have an accelerated 2 yr BN program for ENs. Check it out via http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/nmh/courses-subjects/course-details.cfm?spk_cd=C10122&spk_ver_no=9 for more info under admission requirements.

Hope this helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)