Nursing (1 Viewer)

meg88

HSC
hey,
where would be the best place to do the registed nursing course, Bathurst or Wagga ????
Is the nursing course good ?

countryprincess

HSC
hi, i am planning to do nursing too i am looking more at wagga or even dubbo offers it, i am planning to do midwiffery, so if any1 has any info please give me a buzz

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm at CSU Bathurst doing Nursing. While Bathurst campus itself has an awesome social life and the course and lecturers are excellent, the cost of living coupled with the lack of jobs are making me transfer.

However, I'd say CSU is the best Uni for nursing imo, followed closley by UTS. While we could have more pracs, the subjects allow for the development of nursing skills across major nursing areas - if at BX you have prac at Orange and Bathurst Base, Lithgow, Nepean (public and private) and St Vinnies in Bathurst - for half of your pracs, while subjects such as mental health, paeds/maternity/community, your elective in 3rd year, aged care, long term care etc all allow you to pick a hospital of your choice, letting you do prac at home, or as far away as the Top End if you wish. The flexibility with pracs is a big bonus in my books - flexibility unmatched by any other Uni. I'm at Nepean Public on prac atm and it's awesome, I'm having a great time!

I've researched UTS, Wollongong, UWS, UNE, ACU and CSU and felt CSU was the best, especially if you have an interest in rural health. I don't know much about Wagga - but you can combine nursuing with midwifery there - although entry is competitive. Bathurst offers Nursing/paramedics and nursing/early childhood education - so thats also something to thinki about.

I myself am hoping to transfer over to Dubbo campus as Dubbo base is constantly recruiting - and as Dubbo Base is much bigger than Bathurst, and the student population much lower employment is eaiser to find! Not to mention Dubbo is a better hospital than Bathurst.. ;)

The lecturers in the school of nursing are really understanding and flexible as long as you don't take advantage of their better nature (if you do, you'll be scrutinised for the next 3 years of your life. But they are the most reasonable and fair bunch of lecturers I've seen at CSU, mainly because the majority are Nurses themselves and understand the pressure you're under.

Anyway, I hoped that helped and feel free to PM me if any more questions. Good luck with Nursing!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I know it's really new (in it's 1st year) and the only one of it's kind in the state (possibly Australia). The UAI is about 86. Because it's so new, I can't tell ya much, other than link you to http://www.csu.edu.au and just go to courses

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
They all do straight mids, whereas CSU is the only Uni in NSW that offers Nursing/Midwifery as a combined degree, snd one of two Unis in the state that offer middies as an undergrad degree, the other being UTS. Other Unis do offer Midwifery as a post registration course, some even requiring 12 months post registration course.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
wr u are aware about dubbo and its problems before u move there?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Highest crime rate in the state and their dislike of Uni students? Yeah I know and it's detering me, but the hospital is pretty decent. Still haven't decided, I'm looking at UWS Bankstown too, which is actually looking good as Bankstown Hospital could employ me.

bex

HSC
just stay in bathurst! i know maccas is (always) hiring?! PLUS a whole heap of 3rd years have to leave their jobs as we go on internship... is downtown more/les expensive than campus?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm downtown atm, and want to work in a nursing home/hospital...and Bathurst Base is shit.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
You can do them separatley, but they haven't combined them yet. I'm pretty sure Wagga Wagga is the only place that does.

Heres the links to both either way.

UTS - B Midwifery

UTS - B Nursing

CSU Wagga Wagga - B Nursing/B Midwifery

CSU All Campuses - B Nursing (internal and external)

The double degree with Midwifery is 4 years anyway, so if you don't want to go to Wagga, then go to UTS do the 3 year program and then do your Grad Dip in Midwifery - it's only 12 months, and while it may cost more you also get paid while you do it.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'd imagine they would have problems getting staff hence being the only hospital I've ever heard of taking undergrads after their first semester, most others wait until second year - some even are very selective until 3rd year when hiring undergrads as AIN's (Nepean Hospital for example is funny about 2nd years)

K

katie_tully

Don't let them scare you Rabbit. Dubbo isn't as bad as all that, especially if you stay on the Eastern side of the Mac River. Coz the Dubbo Campus is out the other side of town, you can avoid the undesirables fairly easily.

My mum did her nursing degree through CSU in Dubbo. It would have changed in the last 5 years, but she enjoyed it and the campus is fairly new so it's all updated and nifty. (Watch out for the lack of air con/heating though)
:)

Usually at Dubvegas they send their kiddies to Nepean or Westmead, but as you'd know there's oodles of jobs out our whoop whoop way for Nursing grad students.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL, yeah my old man lived in west dubs after the family left Blaney when he was a kid, so I have a bit of an idea of the place. The homes are nice and really shmick in east Dubbo, and the hospital is on the right side too, so it wouldn't be too bad :) Either way, mum's from Walgett and I fail to see how dubs could be worse than a town of 2000 that needs 40 coppers, bars on their roofs and anything throwable chained down in every single pub ;)

Thanks for the support :D

LOL, i thought it was only up north that called dubbo dubvegas. Hehe ;)`

pRiNCesS..!!

HSC
hey i want to do do nursing too,so did anyone coem to a verdict..wagga or bathurst???and the UAI is only 60 for nursing at alot of unis but at CSU UAIs arnt always the only way to get in you dont even need one..am i right,or did i make that up??

BALLZ_87

HSC
Hey wr, me and my mate went to Dubbo Base for 2 weeks work experience and found that its a top place. it offers you a wide range of areas to work in, as in that time we went to theatre and witnessed two c-sections, worked in the special care nursery, s-ward and heaps more, so i highly recommend the hospital, we went and we had no experience at all as we are only in yr12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)