• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nursing (1 Viewer)

katie7388

HSC
Hi,
I'm looking at studying nursing at UTS either next year or the year after and was wondering what the workload is like. How many hours a week are spent in tutorials and lectures? How many are prac?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
hey :)
uni hrs are 15 each semester you can fit it in 3 days. one of the other two days free is spent on prac. lecture comes in 2hr or 3hr (science one) Same with tutes. Prac starts wk 2 of first sem while other uni's are usually later in the semester. 2nd semester we've got a four day block.

hope this helps

katie7388

HSC
Thanks, it did help. Generally how many people are in each lecture and tutorial?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
tutes are like classes i'd say abt 20 ppl.

lectures are different cos it depends on how many people are doing it. haha sorry
i dont know how many students are even doing this.
like all lectures as the semester reaches the end, numbers begin to shrink.

katie7388

HSC
I know Kuring-gai students have to go to the city one day a week but apart from this would you recommend one campus over another?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i think they are pretty much the same in terms of the course.
City's better i'd say cos of the new facilities, easier to get there etc. Kg you are bound to just this area and most people would go there just for uni and leave after they finish. so if you skip classes u have no where to go hahaha
City all the way.

somecooldude

HSC
dark`secrets said:
i think they are pretty much the same in terms of the course.
City's better i'd say cos of the new facilities, easier to get there etc. Kg you are bound to just this area and most people would go there just for uni and leave after they finish. so if you skip classes u have no where to go hahaha
City all the way.
i agree. city city city. at KG, you could go bushwalking.. ahahah

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
the library at KG has more books for nursing so u might need to get it transferred to the city or catch the bus there :)

shamila

HSC
hey

dark`secrets said:
hey :)
uni hrs are 15 each semester you can fit it in 3 days. one of the other two days free is spent on prac. lecture comes in 2hr or 3hr (science one) Same with tutes. Prac starts wk 2 of first sem while other uni's are usually later in the semester. 2nd semester we've got a four day block.

hope this helps
hey wht is the uai for nursing this year?

rockets

HSC
N/A
Can someone answer this question?
What hospitals are used for each campus for the prac side of nursing ie where do you get sent if you are at city campus and where for kuring-gai campus?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Both city and Kg students have the same places.
For placement you will most probably have students from both campuses.

Hopsitals for first yr anyway are located in alotta spaces i know thats a stupid answer. But they have places like hornsby hospital, St George hosp, Concord. LIKE EVERYWHERE... Although they say they try to give u the hospital thats close to home, i'd say this is a lie. First semester, I had to travel 1.5hrs to get there and my shift started at 7 (yes, waking up at 4 in the morning).

Hanzo

HSC
nursing is a hektic job
my friend studies nursing partime at ACU
and works fulltime in a hospital
she says its a shit depressing job
with shit pay
for a job that requires a degree
it is shit pay to da max
$19 an hour

u get like 25-30 bux an hour after working there for 8 years or so..
pretty shit pay for such hektic work!

she witnesses people die nearly everyday
sometimes its suss and the police comes in .. and blames it on there nurses or doctors ..
saying they could of saved this persons life etc

another scary thing is .. the beds in the hospitals
when someone dies.. they put them under the beds.. so that the bed looks like a free bed...

ewwww

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i think you should recheck the pay, she gets that much cos shes only a student nurse and not a RN yet. It really depends on where you work, ive worked in palliative care unit, its depressing yes, but you would rather see them be painfree than suffer day to day.

all hopsitals ive worked at, they have not done anything of that sort (inregards to them hiding corpses under the beds). If its really that shit, why doesnt she just change her career. There are other jobs out there suitable for those with nursing degrees not just staying in the hospitals.

Personally i think the advantages outweigh the negatives. Honestly nursing jobs isnt about the pay, its about what you can do for people. RNs get better jobs than ENs.

Last edited:

lealea1511

HSC
Hanzo said:
nursing is a hektic job
my friend studies nursing partime at ACU
and works fulltime in a hospital
she says its a shit depressing job
with shit pay
for a job that requires a degree
it is shit pay to da max
$19 an hour

u get like 25-30 bux an hour after working there for 8 years or so..
pretty shit pay for such hektic work!

she witnesses people die nearly everyday
sometimes its suss and the police comes in .. and blames it on there nurses or doctors ..
saying they could of saved this persons life etc

another scary thing is .. the beds in the hospitals
when someone dies.. they put them under the beds.. so that the bed looks like a free bed...

ewwww
Hmm apart from the fact i think you've been largely misinformed on a few things, its not very nice to be so negetive, don't you think? I know a fair few nurses and they all love their job, and their pay is not $19 an hour lol. You're right though, it does go up every year for 8 yrs. EN and RN's vary hugely in pay so maybe your friend is an EN? Just a thought! And nursing is a HUGE field with many facets so there is always opportunity for advancement and many other opportunities in travel.
Anyway I think its a great field and while there a negetive aspects (are there are with any career), as dark secrets said the positives outweigh them!
Oh and i agree, if your friend finds it so horrible maybe they should change careers?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
yeah it's a postive job if you're a positive person. but for someone like me who hates people, hates having to interact with people and hates responsibility, this has possibly got to be the worst job ever. saying that i have to pretend to be enthusiatic about this degree if i'm ever going to pass it, which seems unlikely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)