O-Week...is there any point in going? (1 Viewer)

Chris.

HSC
is there anything important that u have to go to O-week to do? what would u actually do there? im thinking it will be just like the info day..

drmix

HSC
N/A
y not!? unless ur working or somethin, its a chance to familiarise urself wit the uni, meet ppls, have a look around...lots of demos and social club promos ~ normally theres a tour that happens wit the yellow shirt ppls, u can join that if u wanna

but yeh theres nufin 'important' which makes u have to go

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Theres nothing you have to do at O-week, but you would probably want to be there before O-week to get your student card.

volition

arr.
HSC
There's heaps of fun/useful stuff to do at Oweek, you should go

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
besides friday night, where there's a decent gig at the roundhouse its pretty much a waste of time.

elfm

HSC
the comedy night is absolutely awesome, you should go to ALL comedy nights that the uni holds throughout the year (providing that you like the guest comedian, e.g. arj barker and wil anderson)

pretty much all of the day time events are shit and boring, but not a bad way to spend with friends if you haven't anything else to do. you can always leave half way through the day and go to the city then come back for the night events which are normally much better.

yes you will probably meet people if you try (if you're going with friends, it makes it harder to meet people) but then again, you will probably never see them ever again if you don't click straight away.

HSC
i didnt really go oweek, i met most my mates in tutorials.. its nice though, i was too shy to make friends :$

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
[sarcasm]
well they check if you went to oweek during oweek, otherwise you get -5% of all the subjects you do in first year, pretty useful that +5
[/sarcasm]

edit: wrapped in sarcasm tags, just to be safe
- Sunny

Last edited by a moderator:

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
Li0n said:
well they check if you went to oweek during oweek, otherwise you get -5% of all the subjects you do in first year, pretty useful that +5
Please explain :-S !!?

And yeah definately go to O-week, go by your self and make a shit load of friends, you will never find a larger gathering of desperate people in all your life. Good times good times...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
O-Week isn't compulsory.

That said, I would say it's worth going because you meet people BEFORE uni starts (a good icebreaker), you get familiar with uni (which is better than being lost in the first week), you have tons of fun (fun is good!) and you get freebies!

As for your student card, please try and get it before O-week because the queues will be horrendous.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
How early can we get our student cards? Right after we enroll?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
O-Week isn't necessarily useful, well for me anyway. I just went there for the free diary + calender + Faculty Welcome. The Yellow Shirt Tours are somewhat useless, since finding the building your lecture is in, is quite easy, it's just finding the room in a 5-level building that's extremely hard sometimes.

For Med Faculty welcomes, you get free sausage sizzles (I think this was for 2006).

All UNSW ID cards are issued from 19th/20th January onwards. So, you can head to uni and grab your ID card then. Also, bring along a driver's license or passport for identification, Continuing UNSW students can bring in their old ID.

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
O-Week isn't necessarily useful, well for me anyway. I just went there for the free diary + calender + Faculty Welcome. The Yellow Shirt Tours are somewhat useless, since finding the building your lecture is in, is quite easy, it's just finding the room in a 5-level building that's extremely hard sometimes.

For Med Faculty welcomes, you get free sausage sizzles (I think this was for 2006).

All UNSW ID cards are issued from 19th/20th January onwards. So, you can head to uni and grab your ID card then. Also, bring along a driver's license or passport for identification, Continuing UNSW students can bring in their old ID.
Uh if you have an old ID why whould you need a new ID? Seems like a waste of 12 bucks to me.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
you get a FREE DIARY?! is this the same case at all ur uni's? or is it just unsw? and are they like school diaries?

man..... i shouldnt have gone and gotten a filofax..

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ingoesout said:
Uh if you have an old ID why whould you need a new ID? Seems like a waste of 12 bucks to me.
You don't need to pay $12 for your first card. Its only when you lose it you have to pay for your replacement.

Everyone at UNSW has to get a new card every year. So yes imagine the line outside e-spot during O-week.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
shoxgeneration said:
you get a FREE DIARY?! is this the same case at all ur uni's? or is it just unsw? and are they like school diaries?

man..... i shouldnt have gone and gotten a filofax..
Lol, you can get as 'many' free diaries/poster-size calenders as you like. Though they'll give you a sheet to fill in your student number, address, etc but you can make up your details.

This is a UNSW Special!! So.......if you're considering uts, uSyd...you can move your pref to unsw!!!

*is a vivid supporter of our uni* lol

Also, ID cards cost NOTHING. Unless you lose your card, then you MUST apply for a replacement card, otherwise at Uni Exams you'll be having a hectic day proving that you're i.e. Bill Gates or whatever. :p

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
:eek: *shock horror*

although it would be pretty pathetic haha if you choose ur uni based on the supplying of *free* diaries & whatnots! :p

but are you sure its a "UNSW Special"? bcus from other forums, i gather that Usyd + others have diaries too!

ps. i am still regretting my filofax... it is pathetic. highly expensive and this includes the REFILLS. i could buy new albums with the amount of money used on refilling a filofax... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)