O Week (1 Viewer)

jessum

HSC
i went to school with a 14 year old. shes 15 now actually.
but yeh shes gunna have a crap time i reckon. like 3 yrs before shes 18 hehee
at least i only have 14 months or so

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I had one of those. Was yours asian?

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
I used to be one of those accelerated bastards ( i would have been going to uni at the same age as jessum), but after my 3rd high school in 3 years the teachers realised that my behavioural skills weren't anywhere near my academic level, so i decellerated :p

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
In other words you were an immature little brat :)

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
so keen for o ball next year, as i wont have a psychotic girlfriend hawking my every move

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Stupid Stupid accelerated learning... how ca u stick a kid years younger into an older environment and expect their social skills to develop the same as those their own age???

stupid stupid stupid..the teacher needs to extend the child within their own age group not just palm them off to a teacher of older grades!!!

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
um.. said:
so keen for o ball next year, as i wont have a psychotic girlfriend hawking my every move
why, what are you gonna do with her? stuff her in the boot of your car for the o ball?

jessum

HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Stupid Stupid accelerated learning... how ca u stick a kid years younger into an older environment and expect their social skills to develop the same as those their own age???

stupid stupid stupid..the teacher needs to extend the child within their own age group not just palm them off to a teacher of older grades!!!
grrrr its this sort of attitude that shits me the most.
first of all, the thing with most kids who need to be accelerated, is that not only are they academically advanced, but theyre also emotionally advanced beyond their age peers, so they dont fit in with them, which causes more problems than not being 18 ever could.
i personally cant really associate with people my own age, although its gotten better as everyones gotten older. but i fit in perfectly and dotn have any problems (apart from the stupid laws)
i dont have a second point hehe. i think i said all i needed to say.
acceleration is good for some and not good for others. but when its good its really good
oh and whoever asked if the other accelerant i mentioned was asian, no she wasnt.
hmm i sounded really pigheaded up there when i said i cant associate with ppl my own age. i meant more like its hard to get along with them coz i cant relate.. thats a better word.

Last edited:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
jessum said:
grrrr its this sort of attitude that shits me the most.
first of all, the thing with most kids who need to be accelerated, is that not only are they academically advanced, but theyre also emotionally advanced beyond their age peers, so they dont fit in with them, which causes more problems than not being 18 ever could.
i personally cant really associate with people my own age, although its gotten better as everyones gotten older. but i fit in perfectly and dotn have any problems (apart from the stupid laws)
i dont have a second point hehe. i think i said all i needed to say.
acceleration is good for some and not good for others. but when its good its really good
oh and whoever asked if the other accelerant i mentioned was asian, no she wasnt.
hmm i sounded really pigheaded up there when i said i cant associate with ppl my own age. i meant more like its hard to get along with them coz i cant relate.. thats a better word.
im talking about accelerated learning when kids are younger... why cant kids just be allowed to be kids??

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
i got put in year 3 when i was in year 1 and it bothered me so much, so instead of being in year 3 all day i only went to the year 3's classroom after lunch/recess. quite frankly, the bigger kids scared me

jessum

HSC
sometimes its successful and sometimes its not. but kids who are exceptionally gifted often really cant relate to their age peers.. i did my PIP on this for society and culture last year. so i know stuff :) hehee..
i was put in a yr11 biology class when i was 10. and i was fine with that. yes i wasnt as emotionally as advanced as the 16/17yr olds derr but i could do the work so it was fun and the yr11 ppl were nice. it depends how accepting the new peer group is i guess, and how good the teachers are
and kids sometimes cant just be kids if theyve already progressed beyond the kid stage in their heads. piagets stages of developlment or something... its been a while..
meh i dont know.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I went to Primary School with a girl who was bloody smart. All in Year 6 and was 8 while the rest of us were 11 or 12. While she was wise beyond her years, she wasn't mature enough to be in our year. (Yeah, sounds funny, huh?) What I mean is, she was still a little kid with the maturity of one, but she couldn't be a kid because she was being pushed through primary school, in the space of 4 years instead of 7 like the rest of us. Local selective school wouldn't take her at such a young age though, so then she had to stay back in year 6 until she was atleast 10 though, which is fair enough.

Think she's up at Newcastle, last I heard, doing Medicine.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
jessum said:
sometimes its successful and sometimes its not. but kids who are exceptionally gifted often really cant relate to their age peers.. i did my PIP on this for society and culture last year. so i know stuff :) hehee..
i was put in a yr11 biology class when i was 10. and i was fine with that. yes i wasnt as emotionally as advanced as the 16/17yr olds derr but i could do the work so it was fun and the yr11 ppl were nice. it depends how accepting the new peer group is i guess, and how good the teachers are
and kids sometimes cant just be kids if theyve already progressed beyond the kid stage in their heads. piagets stages of developlment or something... its been a while..
meh i dont know.

im studying teaching so i know stuff about this as well... what i am saying is.. can the "gifted" children not relate with their peers or are they just not given the opportunity to??

like you said there are a lot of variables.. and i dont by any means believe in holding a child back... but there are also some limitations in pushing them forwards arent there??

you have some fantastic points here.. what are you looking at studying this year?

Last edited:

sam_553817

HSC
is it a big problem to miss o-week?? i wont be back in australia until the tuesday after uni starts. i'm an '02 hsc grad transfering from usyd. also do you have to visit the uni to enrole or do they have e-enroling??

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
sam_553817 said:
is it a big problem to miss o-week?? i wont be back in australia until the tuesday after uni starts. i'm an '02 hsc grad transfering from usyd. also do you have to visit the uni to enrole or do they have e-enroling??
You will lose ground on making friends and discovering the town and campus.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
O-Week is a wank, and all I got from it was free stuff, all of my friends and that came after.
Basically, all you do is go and sit in the Great Hall and listen to the head of your faculty ramble on with random bullshit you really don't care about, and then go out and meet people, the majority of whom you'll never see again, and then go to the clubs expo (ultimate scabathon) then go get drunk.
So basically, no, its not an issue to miss O-Week (although, I think if you were living on campus, it would be the ultimate suckathon if you missed it)

sam_553817

HSC
so basically i'm not missing anything as i already know the "town" and plenty of ppl and can catch-up on drinking anytime. nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)