Objects thrown under free fall (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
therefore you cannot determine the answer without knowing the hight of the cliff.

i think that it all makes sense...
The only problem I can see with the height is if it isn't high enough for the ball being thrown hits the ground too fast, but that wouldn't be anything you can call a 'cliff'.

Mat_Aussie

HSC
but without height of the cliff, the mass of the balls, and the force or speed at which they are thrown.

i dont think that it is possible to work it out, is it?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well I think we can assume that the cliff is fairy high, that the balls were thrown at a relatively normal throwing speed (i.e. not shot like a bullet) and are of average ball mass.... but that doesn't really matter.

jyu

HSC
This question is about objects thrown under free fall. Do you know the meaning of free fall?

twilight1412

HSC
the topic states freefall

BUT

in the question the person asked freefall is not mentioned

also i consider it illogical even by school standards for a situation to occur that involves freefall and a cliff

unless of course an elevator/car was pushed off and you were in it

jyu

HSC
Do you know the meaning of free fall?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
everyone seems really confused here....

freefall (in the hsc sense of the word) is where the only force acting on an object is gravity - hence it is falling towards the earth.

The question does not need to specifically mention freefall - it is simply expected that at an hsc level you recognise that the only force acting on the object is gravity until it reaches the ground - so you apply the simple kinematics equations of v2 = u2 + 2as and v = u + at

do not worry about terminal velocites and all that for freefall (unless of course you're a 4unit maths student doing mechanics:))

hope this has helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)