oblique asymptotes (1 Viewer)

h3ll h0und

HSC
hey guys
umm..i noe how to find vertical and horizontal asymptotes but how do u find oblique asymptotes?
e.g....oblique asymptote for y=x - (1/x) is y=x (got this example from cambridge)

thanx in advance ... soz for my noobness :cold:

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
you gotta add or subtract graphs, kinda like superimposition of waves in physics. then from the added or subtracted graph you can see shape and infer the asymptote

h3ll h0und

HSC
so u just observe and infer? isnt their like any way apart from that? like wen finding the horizontal asymptote u use lim x->infinite

unwanted80

HSC
N/A
no, y=x is an asymptote, because the graph equation is in the simplest form already, so there is no need to simplify it further (long division).

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
It's nothing difficult.

You first need to use division transformation to break fractions down to pronumeral 1+number/(pronumeral 2) format.

Then the next step would be to use lim(x->infinity) number/pronumeral 2, which gives you 0.
Then you are left with the pronumeral 1, and y=pronumeral 1 is the oblique asymptote.

Sorry, I can't explain this well.

I'll illustrate this with ur example.
y=x - (1/x) is y=x since lim (x->infinity)1/x=0 and you are left with x.

Was it comprehensible? lol My explanation doesn't seem so nicely worded.

bored.of.u

HSC
h3ll h0und said:
hey guys
umm..i noe how to find vertical and horizontal asymptotes but how do u find oblique asymptotes?
e.g....oblique asymptote for y=x - (1/x) is y=x (got this example from cambridge)

best way is to use lim where x-> infinity
therefore lim x->infinity y=x-(1/x)/(x/x)
lim x->infinity y=x-(0/1)
therefore lim x->infinity y=x

although i have only begun doing oblique asymptotes so i may be wrong...hope this helped hell hound ;D

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
h3ll h0und said:
hey guys

it is the same process for finding horizontal asymtotes, divide by highest power x in the denimantor and take the lim as x->infinity

h3ll h0und

HSC
oh ok....i get it now....so its just like finding horizontal asymptotes and in the end ur left with y=x so that's the oblique asymptote? thanx guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)