obvious CHEATING in ext 2 english (1 Viewer)

reprise

32.28% of the statewide candidature got E4. It looks like a lot of schools had classes who performed extremely well in this subject, so there are bound to be a few schools at which the results were exceptional (as they were at Alstonville).

BoS stats

jessied

HSC
marydh said:
I would accuse any school, in any region, with the same result as Alstonville.
Why accuse them of cheating anyway, there's not much you can do about it now..!

lizey

HSC
Of course it doesn't mean you can't do well. It does mean that when you get 7 50s, it looks really, really dodgy. I mean, has any school ever gotten 7 50s before? And now ...a regional school that wasn't up top for the rest of the English results gets a huge proportion of their ext 2 class with 50/50. Forgive my scepticism.

lizey

HSC
Reprise: I take your point, but I do Latin ext, that subject gets 78% in band E4. If my class had all gotten 50/50, it would have been really weird.

I'm sure there's something that can be done about cheating now. Even if you ignore the whole Alstonville thing, whether they cheated or not, the subject itself makes it really easy to cheat, if your teacher is willing.

reprise

Even if you ignore the whole Alstonville thing, whether they cheated or not, the subject itself makes it really easy to cheat, if your teacher is willing.
And that's a legitimate comment. A subject in which it's easy to cheat needs to have extra security provisions in place to ensure that teachers aren't deliberately or unintentionally helping their students to obtain an unfair advantage.

Some teachers take such personal "ownership" of their students' results, that I'm very sure that the reflected glory on themselves dominates their thought processes. Others, are just absolute kick-ass teachers who bring out the best in every single student - especially if they are able to spend two years concentrating their energies on such a small group of students.

HSC
Perhaps that school just has a really ace english department? you shouldn't alienate people cause they got a good mark

reprise

politik said:
Its just that us cityslickers dont believe that you guys even have water up there - let alone schools.
They ahve water up there - you just can't drink it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think as unlikely as it is, due to the extraordinary ammount of people achieving very well from this school, in a subject where it is quite easy to cheat, I would hope for a little bit of an investigation.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
reprise said:
They ahve water up there - you just can't drink it.
lol. The water straight from our dam is already above drinking standards, but they treat it anyway. In other words, our water is beautiful.

casebash

HSC
We can't make accusations without having met the students or teachers. Just because they did exceptionally well doesn't mean they cheated.

But to all those people who say they didn't cheat, and don't go to the school I ask the following question: How do you know? Just as we can't say they cheated because we haven't met them you can't say they haven't cheated cause you haven't met them either.

Anyone who denies it is suspicious is probably biased. I mean, as a comparison, I would be very suprised if my school got 7 99s for 4U Maths. James Ruse, is pretty much the best in the state at maths (although Sydney Grammar might contest this). We have a long tradition, get the best students, and have good teachers.

What are the odds of getting 7 50s in Extension 2 english at a regional school, which (correct me if any of these are wrong) has much less students, much less funding, doesn't get to pick the best and this occuring in a subject which depends much more on the marker, and without a gradual build up over the years in ability as would be expected if it were simply a good teacher (unless this teacher is new??)

reprise

Dumsum said:
lol. The water straight from our dam is already above drinking standards, but they treat it anyway. In other words, our water is beautiful.
I was thinking more of Nimbin, where they had signs telling you not to drink the water when I lived on the FN Coast.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Ok, numbers.

We had 141 students in year 12 this year. Of those, I believe 40 or so did extension 2 english (I don't know exactly because I didn't do it, in fact I'm terrible at english).

AHS has a long running history of excellent english students and this year is no different.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
reprise said:
I was thinking more of Nimbin, where they had signs telling you not to drink the water when I lived on the FN Coast.
Lol fair enough then. Nimbin is a hilarious town.

"would you like to purchase some cookies?"

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
congratulations alstonville! what great results! Damn, trinitys 50 (me) has been so outdone... oh well, looks like alstonville will beat us as usual.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
alstonville is the best school in the northern rivers region (public school that is.) most of the top scorers come from there, or trinity/woodlawn. not surprised.

just because it's regional doesn't mean the people are all stupid hicks, you stupid hick

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I agree wholeheartedly with Without Wings.

Leave them be. I'm not familiar with AHS, but from what I can gather, it's an excellent school that prides itself on producing good results in English. Anyone who is accusing them of cheating is doing so on non-existent grounds.

Besides, as Without Wings said, if anyone cheats they are only doing themselves harm and I'm sure their conscience will eventually catch up with them.

In summary, stop the arguing. BoS is here to help you guys. It wasn't made to be a battleground or a forum for heated debates.

cataleptic

HSC
Um, dude. I go to that school and I was in that class - I got a 49.

You don't understand the level of raw and pure talent that my fellow students have, nor the talent of our teacher.

None of us "cheated" - it's just talent, and I'm not the only one here that knows that (see other AHS students here). So keep your mouth closed.

reprise

FWIW, the SMH has a list of both raw numbers of students who made the "Honour Roll" and a list which gives the percentages for Maths and English. Alstoneville collected band 6 in 26% of the English subject attempts by its students. Not bad at all.

cataleptic

HSC
Yeah, we had a pretty kickass English department, but AHS is sorta known for that.

And anyway, our teachers have been telling us since year 11 that we're the best year to have ever gone through AHS, that we're the smartest, with the largest group of well aove average performers. Alstonville does have a pretty high standard for a regional school, and being a member of the accused Ext 2 class, I think those 7 students really would have earnt those 50s. Since year 11, so many of my fellow students have won awards for English in external competitions - Dorothea McKellar poetry comp (hell, even I got a highly commended award from entering that), What Matters?, even a local festival poetry competition. The standard has always been high, and always attained by the students only. My teacher has only ever encouraged us.

Seriously, what I've managed to read of my fellow student's work has just been incredible, it always has. These guys are my friends, I know what they write. We're all honest and we're all proud of the work WE produced - we put SO much into them; they are our own.

I just think that to make a ridiculous statement as such is completely unfounded. You don't know the academic history or capabilities of the school, it's teachers or faculties, or any of the students. I seriously suspect the accuser is simply jealous.

casebash

HSC
cataleptic said:
I just think that to make a ridiculous statement as such is completely unfounded. You don't know the academic history or capabilities of the school, it's teachers or faculties, or any of the students. I seriously suspect the accuser is simply jealous.
Firstly, it is clearly not a "ridiculous statement." Cheating is a reality. I have witnessed it occur at my school, although not for the HSC, but for some corrospondance maths competition (people shared when they weren't meant to) and a small group in the prelim. You might want to believe the best about students because they go to your school. However, there was one guy in my school who I never would have believed had cheated in the Prelim if he had not felt so guilty that he confessed he had cheated.

Additionally, many people who would not make an accusation of cheating are probably jealous, and many people would probably make the accusation regardless or not whether they are jealous. In fact many of the people who are accusing the accusors of being jealous are making the same mistake of making a judgement without enough information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)