Occupational Therapy/Speech Pathology (1 Viewer)

Jessisbored

HSC
is anyoone doing occupational therapy or speech pathology and wants to tell me about it/? I'm interested in what they think about the course...or if any of your friends are doing it...

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
I don't know anybody doing the course or whatever, but a friend of mine is a Speech Pathologist (@ suth hosp) and she spends hours teaching people how to cough over and over again and how to hold their heads at the right angle and how to open their mouths ---

doing that for a job would make me want to set people on fire.

:)

Leap

free falling
HSC
I'm doing Occupational therapy. The course seems good so far, theres only one subject that I really hate.
Its a lot of work, I have to go into Uni 5 days a week, unless I skip Sociology on friday.
There are a lot of group assignments. Almost every assignment you do has to be done in groups, or in pairs, which can get really annoying. A lot of the assignments are speeches or presentations, so yeah if you have a fear of public speaking that could be a problem.
I have 6 assignments to do at the moment, and the majority of them are due almost straight after easter break, which kinda sucks.
Overall its pretty fun though, like in one tutorial we get to be pushed around campus in a wheelchair, and walk around campus with a blindfold on with someone leading you, and try out different types of crutches and walking frames.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Kittykat, I keep missing you for biology. Find me dammit! Lol.

Jessisbored

HSC
**Leap**

Thanx for the info...very helpful. It wasn't what i expected but i guess thats because i don't know very much about it. So overall are you happy doing the course? I'm still interested-but gosh thats alot of hard work...bummer! I guess it'll pay off eventually.

The UAI is like 85-89% isn't it? I'll probs go to the next open day for syd uni except thats in ages so i dunno what ill do to make up my mind and get more info. What else do you do in the course?

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Kittykat, I keep missing you for biology. Find me dammit! Lol.
lol
*sign* Saw you the other day man. You seem too busy talking to that girl so I didn't say hi.
Next time, I say hi. :D

Leap

free falling
HSC
Originally posted by Jessisbored
**Leap**

Thanx for the info...very helpful. It wasn't what i expected but i guess thats because i don't know very much about it. So overall are you happy doing the course? I'm still interested-but gosh thats alot of hard work...bummer! I guess it'll pay off eventually.

The UAI is like 85-89% isn't it? I'll probs go to the next open day for syd uni except thats in ages so i dunno what ill do to make up my mind and get more info. What else do you do in the course?

Yes, overall I am happy with the course so far.
The subjects that we are doing at the moment are , Human Occupations 1A, which is about self-maintenance and thats the subject where we get to use the wheelchairs and stuff in tutorials.
Then theres Occupational Theory and Practice which is really boring and is about all the theory behind OT, although there were 2 more interesting lectures, one about Mental Health and another one about Driver Rehabilitation.
Then theres Components of Occupational Performance 1A, and we're doing counselling in that at the moment. One of the assignments I had to do recently for that was to counsel someone for 10 minutes and videotape it.
We also do Human Biology and Biochemistry, and Psychology and Sociology.
We have to do 1000 practical hours over the 4 years of the course. Theres a subject called Professional Practice which is all about work placement and stuff to do with that. I have 2 weeks of work placement at the end of semester, and the University finds the work placement for you which is good.

Anyway, thats the sort of thing we're doing at the moment, but it will be different next semester, e.g like at the moment Human Occupations 1A is about self-maintenance but next semester its HO1B which is about Mobility or something.

OT is a broad area, after you graduate you can work in Peadiatrics, Schools, Rehabilitation programs, health promotion, neurology, in nursing homes, Mental health, on camps for kids with disibilities, hospitals. project develop ment etc. Apparently there are opportunities to travel, too. Some of the 4th year OTs at the moment are raising money to do work placement in India.

Anyway, I hope that gives you more information - obviously I'm not really an expert on the course because I've only just started doing it, so yeah you should go along to open day and talk to the lecturers. Theres a website as well at, http://www.ot.fhs.usyd.edu.au/uprograms.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)