Occupational Therapy* (1 Viewer)

nak

HSC
Hi, i'm planning to do Occupational Therapy at W.Sydney.
I was wondering if anyone who is currently doing this course could give me some information on what you do throughout the course? and also, around how much your starting salarie is about (i know this depends where you work, like public hospitals and private...or yourown practice)

Thanks in advance!^^

Lu Lu

HSC
I'm doing OT at UWS and I love it! I'm in first year and so far most of the subjects covered are really interesting. For the first couple of years of the course you have set subject (see the link below) some of which are hard (eg Human Medical Science 1&3) however so far most of the subject I have done have not been to bad. You end up having about 13-14 hours face to face at uni over about 3 days. I have had a 3 day weekend both semesters! The subjects range from really sciency to sort of drama or artsy like (communication) but this can give you a good balance. Later this semester I get to go on work placement, which I'm really looking forwards to.

I'm not 100% sure about income but an average level (i.e. not management) should earn between $35000 and $55000 in a hospital. If you work in private practice or for an insurance company or that sort of thing you can earn more.

The link below is for the subjects and some other info.

http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=4520.1

I hope this info is OK, if you have any more just let me know. Also you should go to the open day if you can- it was helpful for me- I don't know went it is but.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Heya! I'm an OT student, but at Newcastle.
According to OTNSW,
Commencement salary
$814.80wk $42516/year
with increments up to six years
$1102.00wk $57500/year
Further salary increases are payable
based on managerial workload.
Try checking out this link, its pretty useful
Also look on the OTNSW, WFOT and various uni websites

nak

HSC
thanks for the great info's guys^^

Just being curious....would UWS ever have a course for "Physiotherapy"? Since i'm pretty inetersted in Phyio, but Sydney Uni (in my area) is the only place where they do physio, but the UAI is quite too high for me...(lol, think it was around 95)

Also.Are there any possible transfers from occupational therapy at UWS to places like Sydney University if you do well in your first couple of years? I understand i should ask the uni, but i was wondering if anyone of you guys know any info regarding transfers.

Thanks! (^_^)

Lu Lu

HSC
UWS do not currently do a physio course but you never know - the might some day - but they are defiantly not doing one next year.

You can transfer from uni to uni but you have to do very well. It pretty easy to do well in first year ot. For example I got 1HighDistinction and 3Distinctions last semester. But I don't think I'd try to transfer because UWS is just at good as Sydney and has far less theory work and more prac work! At least that’s what the uni tells us.

Anyway i would talk to both of the unis and see what they say.

Kally17

HSC
nak said:
thanks for the great info's guys^^

Just being curious....would UWS ever have a course for "Physiotherapy"? Since i'm pretty inetersted in Phyio, but Sydney Uni (in my area) is the only place where they do physio, but the UAI is quite too high for me...(lol, think it was around 95)

Also.Are there any possible transfers from occupational therapy at UWS to places like Sydney University if you do well in your first couple of years? I understand i should ask the uni, but i was wondering if anyone of you guys know any info regarding transfers.

Thanks! (^_^)

If you want to swap courses you have to apply through UAC. Although UWS has this program called the Guaranteed Course Transfer where if you have an above credit average and a GPA of above 5 , you can transfer to a course of your choice.
Info can be found at this address: http://www.uws.edu.au/studyoptions/australian/undergraduate/transfer

klh

HSC
if oyu want a more in depth but easy to understand thread aobut trasnfers, go to the trasnfers forum and click on Frigids thread link On the topic of Uni transfers
but transferring to other unis is done through UAC, GICTS as mentioned above is internal transfers only ie in UWS.
the link at the end shows the marks you get from uni and its equivalent in UAI and may help you see what your nrsl mark is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)