but im just afraid we'll get a 5-7 marker on this one in the exam

(dates would help alot)

any ideas?

serge

HSC
somewhere in shipwrecks, it asks you to "trace historical developments
in the construction of ocean-going vessels, with a focus on metals"

HSC
i got that one written, i am going to typed them up later on, it was an annoying dot point to answer :(

serge

HSC
Casmira Post Your Sea-vessel Notes

Casmira said:
i got that one written, i am going to typed them up later on, it was an annoying dot point to answer :(
Could you please post it soon,
otherwise i might have to go through the same pain you did...
so unless you want to be seen as a sadist? :p

HSC
I never bothered to type up my chem notes, however on an overview I talked about the initial use of animal skin then eventual progression to wood, then wood protected by copper sheets which used iron nails that corroded so it was replaced with copper nails, then lead, then Iron's complete replacement and sofourth (I'd like to thank many hours playing empire earth for that :D)

bEAbEA

HSC
This is what i had:

• Skin canoes
• By 3000BC, some societies were constructing wooden ships. Wood was the most common shipbuilding material until the nineteenth century.
• Metals were used in some early ships, such as Viking longboats which had iron and bronze fittings.
• Around 1500AD the development of iron nails made it possible to connect wooden planks to frames and bulkheads. This made the hull stronger and less flexible, but the nails were susceptible to rapid corrosion.
• By the 1800s composite ships were built using wooden planks over iron frames. The first all iron ship was the British Vulcan, a passenger barge, launched in 1818. By 1870 more than 90% of the ships produced in the UK were iron.
• Although they needed constant maintenance due to corrosion, iron ships had numerous advantages over wooden ones: stronger, thus safer, more economical, easier to repair, could be built larger, carry more cargo, traveled faster, was not susceptible to fire from cannonball explosions.
• By the late 1800s shipbuilders began to use steel alloys, which meant lighter and stronger ships.
• In the early 1900s the invention of electric welding meant faster and better construction of steel ships.
• Other developments in the twentieth-century included the progressive improvement in steel alloys, incorporating aluminium, chromium, titanium, zinc and nickel. Modern steels are lighter, stronger and more corrosion-resistant than before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)