Ode to a Nightingale (1 Viewer)

Diddimz

HSC
Ive chosen John Keats poem as one of my supplementary materials, but when it comes to dissecting it, im a shocker and really have no clue how to do it, any help would be much appreciated:) thanks

forceblade

HSC
Diddimz said:
Ive chosen John Keats poem as one of my supplementary materials, but when it comes to dissecting it, im a shocker and really have no clue how to do it, any help would be much appreciated:) thanks
can u use that? cause i remember doing it in year 11, if i can find my notes on it will be happy to sent u a copy

aaronduke

HSC
Hey guys,

HOW on earth can I relate this poem to The Tempest?

If anyone has any clue about this, please please help me!

asdfghhjklasdfg

HSC
im doing this one as well. its great because it links to frost at midnight.
anyway i get it, its just im not sure what hte actual concept is in realtion to imaginative journeys because the morbid:

ijs can only breifly take one from reality.

thats all i got. anyone got anything better?

anna-goanna123

HSC
I'm thinking of doing this as one of my related texts to the tempest too! Apart from the last 2 lines Was it a vision, or a waking dream?[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE] Fled is that music:—do I wake or sleep
which relate quite well to the Tempest (because of the motifs of music and dreaming in the play) I'm having a bit of trouble with the rest.

corpse

HSC
Ode to a Nightingale has some good links, such as the ones previously mentioned by the people above;

- Imaginary journey as he finds meaning through the flight of the nightingale.
- Links to Ariel as a symbol of freedom and magic- flying, soaring above the Earth
- The music and noises of the island in The Tempest take us on an imaginary journey- as does the nightingale's music. Music= medium for imaginary journeys.
- Could compare Keat's reaction to the nightingale's song to Caliban's eloquent reaction to the music of the island.
- Keats has to let the Nightingale go in the end, just as Prospero has to let Ariel go
- The line "Was it a vision, or a waking dream? Fled in that music- Do I wake or sleep?" can be linked with many things in The Tempst. The blending of illusion and reality, emphasized by the characters not knowing what is happening throughout the play. Gonzalo in Act 5- "Whether this be, or be not, I'll not swear". Constant references to sleep and dreaming.
- The lines referring to water in stanza 2- water is another symbol used in The Tempest as a way of depicting imaginary journeys.

La Belle Dame Sans Merci is a good poem to use also, if you're having too much trouble with this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)