OECD's Better Life Index for Case Study Essay? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_

HSC
Just wanted to pop a question about OECD's Better Life Index when discussing about the economic development... I've included the HDI but OECD's Better Life Index allows measurement and comparing closer aspects of life eg. life satisfaction and education levels, comparing with the 38 countries (36 of them are OECD)

So the question is - should I use the Better Life Index or not for the essay? Or just stick with HDI?

Thank you :)

spatula232

HSC
There's no harm in including both, and the HDI could honestly be summed up in a few sentences. Using the 'Better Life Index' would be a good way to distinguish yourself from others; yet make sure you explain it well as opposed to the HDI because it is (the HDI) so well known. However, you need to remember that the question will most likely be associated with the policies surrounding how economic development is achieved. If this is the question, don't go into too much detail about the Better Life Index. Remember that although you may have extensive knowledge about a particular aspect/concept etc, if it doesn't answer the question do not add it.

Last edited:

haysheet

HSC
Your marks come from the use of economic theory to justify how globalisation has affected growth/development, and the stats are only towards the end of each paragraph to support your argument. Since HDI is the more conventional measure, I think you can save some words by only using that.

swagmeister

HSC
I would use it - it's pretty cool and way more comprehensive than the HDI! Even just put in a sentence about a specific part of the OECD measurements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)