Offering: Emma Techniques....Wanted: Clueless Techniques! (1 Viewer)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Emma
Writing Techniques
• Balanced sentence structure
o Noun, verb, noun, verb, noun, verb
o “The hair was curled and the maid sent away, and Emma sat down to think and be miserable”
• Irony
o Where the literal meaning of the msg being put across is opposite to the intended msg
o “She walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders people of high pretension of judgment are forever falling into”
o Mrs Elton: 'I have quite a horror of upstarts'
She says this after hearing a description of Mrs Churchill. The irony and humour, of course, is that Mrs Elton is an upstart.

'cara sposo...caro sposo...caro spouso'
Mrs Elton tries to sounds cosmopolitan and intelligent by slipping into Italian, but she addresses Mr Elton in three different versions of the same phrase. Austen is showing Mrs Elton's ignorance and stupidity.
• Understatement
o “True elegance was sometimes wanting”
• Indirect & Direct speech
o Shifting from free indirect narrative to direct speech (dialogue)
o ‘“Miss Smith! A message to Miss Smith!” What could she possibly mean?’
• Objective to omniscient narration
o Shifting from an author’s perspective of an objective standpoint to that of an omniscient (all knowing) narrator. (techniques of Authorial Comment)
• Omniscient narration
o All knowing, all seeing, allowing reader to have greater insight into a character’s feelings and motivations. Poses rhetorical questions: ”How was she to bear the change?” gives premonitions and forewarnings (hints) so we know what is going to happen often before the characters do.
• Satire/gentle ridicule
o Gentle satire of Mr Woodhouse, the hypochondriac
o “He loved to have the cloth laid, because it had been the fashion of his youth; but his conviction of suppers being very unwholesome made him rather sorry to see anything put on it”
• Juxtaposition
o Placing 2 words/ideas side by side in order to contrast them
o “being wish joy of so sorrowful event” joy and sorrow are juxtaposed to reveal the ridiculousness of Mr Woodhouse’s view of Miss Taylor’s marriage. “Poor Miss Taylor”
• Caricature
o “his own stomach could bear nothing rich, and he could never believe people to be different from himself…he had therefore earnestly tried to prevent them from having any wedding cake at all”
• Repetition
o ”She would improve her; she would detach her from her bad acquantaince…she would form her opinions and manners.”
o This technique of repetition of the word ‘She’ highlights Emma’s sense of self importance and conceit
• Punctuation
o Use of lots of semi colons and long, complex sentences- creates many levels in sentence structure and makes sentences convoluted. The text Emma is intended for a highbrow responder.
• Dialogue
o Austen uses dialogue to reveal true character.
o “I need no so totally despair of an equal alliance as to be addressing myself to Miss Smith!” shows Mr Elton’s snobbish conceit

Please provide feedback. and please, some techniques for Clueless?

kalinda

HSC
the techniques for Clueless are the usual visual techniques such as music, shots - high, low medium, etc
irony - the voice over contradicting the imagery onscreen - such as the wardrobe scene where Cher is saying i have a way normal life and she is picking her clothles out from a computer
color - bright, cheerful
costuming
use of space - what dominates the screen
lighting
at the moments thats all i got

Last edited:

LJP

HSC
from top notes;)

montage
voice over
colour
irony
juxtoposition
dialogue
soundtrack
parody
interludes
intertextuality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)