Office 2003 or 2007? (1 Viewer)

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Which do you prefer?

The UI of office 2007 is one of the best I've seen, whoever created the "ribbon" should be promoted :)

The ribbon is so much faster and easier to navigate than the hundreds of ugly grey menus imo. Too bad they were too lazy to implement it into the lesser used programs like Publisher...

It might take a while for 2003 users to get used to, but I think it's pretty good.

What do you think?

Noodles88

HSC
2007 by a country mile.

Took a day or two to get used to the new look, but it's much, much better than 2003 once you get the hang of it.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah, another thing, the docx files are soo much smaller...presumably because of better structure using xml or something. No idea.

:)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
pwoh said:
Oh yeah, another thing, the docx files are soo much smaller...presumably because of better structure using xml or something. No idea.

:)
because they only save the most recent version. in the old format it would sometimes keep data that you had deleted.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
me121 said:
because they only save the most recent version. in the old format it would sometimes keep data that you had deleted.
Ah, OK, but it doesn't explain the larger file size when I directly convert a .docx to a .doc, I think there's more to it than that.

harryboyles

HSC
pwoh said:
Ah, OK, but it doesn't explain the larger file size when I directly convert a .docx to a .doc, I think there's more to it than that.
It's because the docx file format is actually a zip file, with all of the xml files inside it. In other words, it's compressed. When converting to doc, you're going back to a binary file format which isn't compressed, hence it's bigger.

As for the guy who 'invented' the Ribbon, it was created by the Microsoft Office User Experience Team. The leader of this team is Jensen Harris, who has a blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/ While it's not updated any more, there is some riveting content about the development of the Ribbon. And yes, he did get promoted.

I think the ribbon is great. But the biggest feature for me is the Equation Editor in Word. It allows you to create complicated expressions and is great for doing Maths summaries, because you can write all the formulas just like on paper.

HSC
harryboyles said:
But the biggest feature for me is the Equation Editor in Word. It allows you to create complicated expressions and is great for doing Maths summaries, because you can write all the formulas just like on paper.
I use that too :) though it is a tad time consuming.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
harryboyles said:
It's because the docx file format is actually a zip file, with all of the xml files inside it. In other words, it's compressed. When converting to doc, you're going back to a binary file format which isn't compressed, hence it's bigger.

As for the guy who 'invented' the Ribbon, it was created by the Microsoft Office User Experience Team. The leader of this team is Jensen Harris, who has a blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/ While it's not updated any more, there is some riveting content about the development of the Ribbon. And yes, he did get promoted.

I think the ribbon is great. But the biggest feature for me is the Equation Editor in Word. It allows you to create complicated expressions and is great for doing Maths summaries, because you can write all the formulas just like on paper.
Whew, nice knowledge.

To tell you the truth, I only just discovered the equation editor...AWESOMENESS. I thought only OpenOffice had that...yes I did notice the huge pi sign but I never clicked to see what it was. :p

super.muppy

HSC
07 but its kinda annoying wen u wnr giv somebody a copy of ur doc wen they hav 03 or less

HSC
N/A
pwoh said:
Which do you prefer?

The UI of office 2007 is one of the best I've seen, whoever created the "ribbon" should be promoted :)

The ribbon is so much faster and easier to navigate than the hundreds of ugly grey menus imo. Too bad they were too lazy to implement it into the lesser used programs like Publisher...

It might take a while for 2003 users to get used to, but I think it's pretty good.

What do you think?
ive got 03 at home, and 07 is pretty different to use at school - it sucks that office 07 uses a different file type, i cant open them with office 03 :vcross:. anyone willing to give me a free copy of office 07?

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
barbecuedflava said:
ive got 03 at home, and 07 is pretty different to use at school - it sucks that office 07 uses a different file type, i cant open them with office 03 :vcross:. anyone willing to give me a free copy of office 07?
you can download free software from microsoft that will convert the 07 files to 03 ones...

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC

harryboyles

HSC
kevinx2 said:
I use that too :) though it is a tad time consuming.
It's much faster if you learn how to use the keyboard to type the formulas instead of clicking from the ribbon. For example, you can type 2^3 *space* to produce 2 to the power of 3, or V= \pi *space* \int ^3_0 *space* (x^3/4)^2 *space* dx to produce the volume of the revolution about the x axis bounded by x=3, x=0 and y=x^3/4. The blog post here (http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/04/Equations-in-Word-2007.aspx) has some links to screencasts and other documents showing how to type equations and "build them up", to use the marketing term.

HSC
harryboyles said:
It's much faster if you learn how to use the keyboard to type the formulas instead of clicking from the ribbon. For example, you can type 2^3 *space* to produce 2 to the power of 3, or V= \pi *space* \int ^3_0 *space* (x^3/4)^2 *space* dx to produce the volume of the revolution about the x axis bounded by x=3, x=0 and y=x^3/4. The blog post here (http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/04/Equations-in-Word-2007.aspx) has some links to screencasts and other documents showing how to type equations and "build them up", to use the marketing term.
Ahh, didn't know that. Cheers

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
super.muppy said:
07 but its kinda annoying wen u wnr giv somebody a copy of ur doc wen they hav 03 or less
There's an option to save as previous formats in Word 07.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)