office 2004 for mac shit slow? (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
hey i've got an intel mac. insanely fast on a whole.

but, ms office runs like an absolute dog. i've got the student edition, and have reinstalled it once, but still runs as if i've got 4kb of RAM. apple/MS websites say nothing about it in their faqs, so i'm thinking it could be my issue.

anyone know of any problems? i'm running tiger 10.4.6, haven't downloaded 4.7 yet- could fix?

thanks,
nick

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Quite possibly.

I'm running 10.4.7 / Office for Mac, runs fine. It's a tad slower than on windows, but I don't really use it enough for it to be noticeable.

I'd try installing 10.4.7/update to latest software fixes first, then see if it's still chewing your memory.

Med

nwatts

HSC
cool. i'll give it a go.

it's just as i use word everyday for significant periods of time, and i'm just a bit frustrated with its comparative lagging behind the 45 other apps i have open at the same time. :)

i haven't updated the office at all now i think of it. will get to that now.

Hamishw

HSC
Microsoft Office

Whose tried MS Office 2007 Beta 2. Its great!

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Re: Microsoft Office

Yes, OpenOffice is free too for all operating systems I recommend. For MacOS X their latest version is 2.0.3

nwatts

HSC

their next version update, like CS3.0 or whatever, would surely.

i'd hold off buying a macbook until they sort out the noise issues.

pete_mate

HSC
the reason why its slow is because office for mac was written for the powerpc processors and when its being run its using an emulator which makes it much slower.

i was at the apple offices today for training cos JB Hifi is now selling them, but only at jb hifi warringah, so go there for a good deal on the macbooks (and the 3199 macbook pro)

pretty spiffy offices, just like the computers. they have glass walls which they write on like whiteboards.

aaron.mac

HSC

nwatts said:
their next version update, like CS3.0 or whatever, would surely.

i'd hold off buying a macbook until they sort out the noise issues.
Apple have released a firmware update for the macbook, supposedly to stop the 'mooing' noise.

aaron.mac

HSC
Rosetta really likes RAM (well the whole mac OS does really) - give it more RAM and you should get better performance from PPC apps.

nwatts

HSC

yeah i downloaded this the other day.

the 'mooing' noise is gone, but the background high pitched noise is still there.

bennychanman

Stratttys (That's Strathfield, for all those who a
HSC
does anyone's macbook look "dirty"....?

i've read HEAPS of complaints that the topcase on a white macbook has gone from a greyish white to like....a feral yellow/brown/darker grey/black colour....
which has happened to me....

anyway, as for office 2004, yeah all microsoft programs, and all other programs that run in Rosetta for my mac are slow..., MSN messenger included, but the rest great.

So therefore i jst got rid of stupid office and i make do with Pages and Keynote (which run really well, and smoothly).

nwatts

HSC
nope, macbook still nice and shiny white. :)

and i got rid of MSN - using adium now, much better

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A

nwatts said:
yeah i downloaded this the other day.

the 'mooing' noise is gone, but the background high pitched noise is still there.
Mooing noise??

rofl

I get the high pitched noise too, but the only time I *ever* notice it, is if it's 1-2 in the morning and the laptop is on but i'm not using it. If I'm using it I never notice the noise (or there are too many things going on in the background to notice)

And yah, Adium ftw!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)