• Sorry wasn't appropriate.

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

Gay Captain

HSC
scarybunny said:
Educated people have higher income and better health than non-educated people. So by increasing the outcomes of indigenous kids, there's a whole follow-on effect. Of course, this doesn't change the health of the adults, so that needs to be addressed in the meantime.
Actually, people with higher income and better health have more education

It doesn't work like you think it works, that's why it can't change anything :D

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

I have nothing to be sorry for.

White people oppressed Blacks. Nothing to do with me. KRudd better not give them any money.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
TacoTerrorist said:
There are barely any Aboriginal people. I've seen like 10 in my whole life.

We did need to say sorry, even though the current generation did not commit the crimes, the burden lies on our shoulders.

nah i think they make up 1-3% of the Australian population.. from what i remember hearing at uni..

Amon

HSC
fernando said:
nah i think they make up 1-3% of the Australian population.. from what i remember hearing at uni..
depends where abouts you are in Australia some places more than others such as the government residential area which is mostly aboriginals compared to the other side of town where their is a total of about 2-3 families
whats interesting is theirs new residential areas right near the government houses so it contrasts really badly.

i also think that an apology for those who did suffer is appropriate but not one for those who don't care and don't appreciate life now compared to how their ancestors were treated i mean why say sorry to those that don't want to hear it

-after thought: i don't mean anything racist this is how it is in some places
and government supplied houses generally are less attractive, older and less looked after i mean no disrespect to any one.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
ABS Data

Indigenous Population
2006: 517,200 (2.5%)

Residential Distribution
NSW: 29%
QLD: 28%
WA 15%
NT 13%

[NT (site of the Federal Intervention) has the largest proportional indigenous population (32%)]

Indigenous Life Expectancy 2001
Male: 59
Female: 64

Non-Indigenous Life Expectancy
Male: 76
Female: 82

FACTS

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
scarybunny said:
Err the apology doesn't implicate all white australians.

Rudd specifically says that he's apologising for the wrongs of past governments. And the opposition agreed on the wording. So what's the problem?

It's a symbol, and an important one. It didn't cost anything, but it meant a lot to aboriginal people.
Problem is that federal government didn't have control of Aboriginal affairs until 1967, a date by which point everything about the stolen generation was all but finished. He can't apologise on behalf of past state governments (he doesn't have the authority to do so under federalist principles) and in any case they've all apologised anyway.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Meh. It happened. It can't unhappen (unless Rudd gets up there and says "NOT!").

boris

Banned
HSC
Okay, it happened. How long ago was this, has it been 6 months?

I haven't seem the framework being set up for a solution to Aboriginal affairs. And wasn't the apology meant to be the first step?

The apology is meaningless and hollow, something I've argued all along. 'blah blah symbolism', yeah well symbolism never did anything for anybody.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
boris said:
Okay, it happened. How long ago was this, has it been 6 months?

I haven't seem the framework being set up for a solution to Aboriginal affairs. And wasn't the apology meant to be the first step?

The apology is meaningless and hollow, something I've argued all along. 'blah blah symbolism', yeah well symbolism never did anything for anybody.
IT WORKED OK FOR THE CHEMISTS

boris

Banned
HSC
how many aboriginals are chemists

/drug related gag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)