• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Official Asian Cup 2007 Thread (1 Viewer)

mat2154

HSC
heres a short match report if you missed the game:
Australia faces another heart wrenching penalty shootout after extra time in its Asian Cup quarter-final with Japan ended 1-1.

John Aloisi gave the Socceroos a second half lead when he converted from harry Kewell's corner but Japan responded within 120 seconds when Naohiro Takahara goalled.

In the 75th minute Vince Grella was dismissed for a seemingly innocuous aerial challenge with Takahara, with the referee saying the Socceroos midfielder had elbowed the Japanese dangerman.

But the Socceroos showed enormous heart as they held the Japanese to 1-1 after 120 minutes, with Mark Schwarzer proving the hero with a series of enormous saves.

time to get some sleep, asian cup and umat are really getting to me

stazi

Nightman
HSC
awesome match report. except you didn't say what happened during the shoot out. epic fail.

Chelsea FC

HSC
N/A
A TRULY TRAGIC MOMENT IN AUSTRLIANS SPORTING HISTORY

Arnold needs to get packing....

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
mat2154 said:
you should put your money on arnold getting the sack. i predict this will probably happen within a week. houillier to be the new coach of australia with arnold back to assistant
lol at within a week.
Go go Advocaat

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
i guess it was our fault.. maybe if we faced vietnam and not japan...

haha...

then again we were pretty lucky to make it out of the group.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I saw some of the game.... it was a perfect example of why I don't watch soccer. Only 2 goals and the rest of the time nothing happening, people taking dives all over the place, a thousand horrible refereeing decisions, a completely ridiculous send off.

Half of me wants to support them since they are representing Australia in a very popular world sport, but the other half of me says fuck them their sport sucks why are we even playing it at all.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I saw some of the game.... it was a perfect example of why I don't watch soccer. Only 2 goals and the rest of the time nothing happening, people taking dives all over the place, a thousand horrible refereeing decisions, a completely ridiculous send off.

Half of me wants to support them since they are representing Australia in a very popular world sport, but the other half of me says fuck them their sport sucks why are we even playing it at all.
are you fat?

serious question.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I'm devestated by the Socceroos' loss and certainly thought that we would make it a little bit further in this competition. The instant red card given to Grella was an absolute joke.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
haha its funny how devastating an international loss can be to us. we used to suck at soccer, so if we lost against anyone we'd just be like 'lolz oh well'. now we're all emo when we lose to a good side.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
I'm devestated by the Socceroos' loss and certainly thought that we would make it a little bit further in this competition. The instant red card given to Grella was an absolute joke.
It depends on what angle you look at it from. The way I saw it that it was a pretty bad challenge and the red card doesn't look like it was unreasonable. It seemed as though Grella made a fist and hit Takahara's face.

Oh well, as soon as they equalised I knew we were gone. Neill was at fault again. WTF's wrong with him.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
uhh his hand wasn't clenched. how could it be a fist? i think it warranted a foul, but not a card. you see things like that all the time and it's not penalised. the Japanese theatrics were unnecessary

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I'm not fussed by the loss. If we'd strolled through to the semi's or the final, we'd have probably kept Arnie on, and that could have royally raped our World Cup qualifying campaign.

At least now we won't take any Asian competition lightly and it'll reinforce the need for changes to be made, both short and long term. All in all it's great we've got rid of Oceania and although we were shit this tournament, we'll be far better off in the long run.

Hope Iran wins it now. They're probably the best team to watch in this competition.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
im pretty sure it was milligan with the hopeless clearance which allowed the jap to take the ball and score.

if he didn't touch the ball, or if he wasn't there, im pretty sure schwarzer would've claimed the ball.

KRSONEOST

HSC
Stupid decision to send off grella...stupid arab ref doesnt noe shit...anyway who really cares if Australia wins Asian cup lol like seriously and theres teams that want it more than them...next time they shudnt focus on bringing the star players but rather good young players that really wanna play eg milligan carney beauchamp...Arnold had sum ideas but really they were no good, he really put faith in brett holman who played onli 1 good game wich was agenst china but he showed a couple times even in the singapore game that hes shiet i mean he was right infront of the goal and missed more than once...culina where was he all game and cahill barely touched the ball...why did he take viduka off??????Anyway itll b good wen they get a high profile coach and arnold can stay assistant coach for motivation just like he did in world cup...GO SOCCEROOS...p.s. they shud really change that nickname lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)