Official Semester 1 (2007) Exams Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: Official Semester 1 Exams Thread

Only 5 pages to go in the last part of todays tasks. I'll leave it until tomorrow as it's an important topic and I'm tired.

By the way, crossing things off is a great way to motivate yourself. Here's two ways you could do it to have that sense of accomplishment:

latvia

HSC
N/A

hahahahaha what's with "Consume some brogan"
and why is it attributed to the 2 subjects LOL

stazi

Nightman
HSC

because i like to consume brogan whilst studying for marketing and accounting. i like to insert my digits into brogan, whilst he performs his services on me. in the end, it all balances. really, it's a credit to him.

I should stop going to bed at 4am :( my sleeping pattern is so gh3y lately. im not even tired. oh well. sleep time.

latvia

HSC
N/A

stazi said:
because i like to consume brogan whilst studying for marketing and accounting. i like to insert my digits into brogan, whilst he performs his services on me. in the end, it all balances. really, it's a credit to him.

I should stop going to bed at 4am :( my sleeping pattern is so gh3y lately. im not even tired. oh well. sleep time.
Have you been playing video games again tonight

or else.. why aren't you sleeping yet

I thought studying makes you tired? oh wait ur not studying now
(that's why)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

I've woken up at 12-1pm the last few days. It's lousy weather for getting out of bed.

I've painted my nails in procrastination.

It's a good thing I have no ingredients, or else the house would be full of procrastinatory cupcakes.

MORE TEA, I SAY!!

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

scarybunny said:
I've woken up at 12-1pm the last few days. It's lousy weather for getting out of bed.

MORE TEA, I SAY!!
yeahh!!! and i have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much study to do it's CRAZY. far out.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

latvia said:
Have you been playing video games again tonight

or else.. why aren't you sleeping yet

I thought studying makes you tired? oh wait ur not studying now
(that's why)
Nothing makes me tired. Apart from bumrape with brogan. That can be exhausting, but that's cos we do it like eight times in a row. Well, that's our record anyway.

I wasn't sleeping because I was watching Freaks and Geeks, then the Mighty Boosh, then the Chaser :(

veridis

droog
HSC

you picked a wanky thematic course, what did you expect from the exam apart from wanky bs questions.
HSTY2651 is a pretty straightforward take home, apart from them expecting you to explain why Franco won in a mere 1000 words.
MDST2608 is a bit harder but all the hard ones can be worked around with a bit of historiographical bloat

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

HSTY1022 take-home seems reasonable, except I might have to do the 'escape clause' tell-me-a-story section instead of the hellish Europe and the Outside World questions in Section C. I was surprised that there were so many books from the reading lists available at the library, though, I thought they'd be an enormous rush on them.

veridis

droog
HSC

@triangulum - a word of warning, john is pretty hard on the tell a story ones. you still have to try and cram a lot of facts in there, and avoid gimmicks like shakespearian language

but yeah take homes are nice and easy. i especialy love how you dont need referencing, it's the easyness of writing an essay without the hassle of doing it properly. an invitation to rant and bs.

edit - the section C questions look easy as anyway. granted 16 is a bit more complex but for 500 words any of the others are easy. either of the 13s and the second 14 are really straightforward, seriously consider doing one of them, you'll get better marks for less effort than section e.
whats funny is that you first years have a longer take home than we do. but half of us have other take homes too so i think john felt a bit sorry and gave us nice questions.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

veridis said:
a word of warning, john is pretty hard on the tell a story ones. you still have to try and cram a lot of facts in there, and avoid gimmicks like shakespearian language

edit - the section C questions look easy as anyway. granted 16 is a bit more complex but for 500 words any of the others are easy. either of the 13s and the second 14 are really straightforward, seriously consider doing one of them, you'll get better marks for less effort than section e.
Thanks veridis. Section C would probably be easier had I actually paid any attention during that part of the course. I have a book about the Muslim world around somewhere, so I might be able to do one of those questions reasonably competently.

Skeeta

HSC

brogan77 said:
The only take home final exam I've ever done I got 100%...they should have take home exams in the economics and business faculty. :(
I've never had a take home exam :(:(:(

veridis

droog
HSC

Triangulum said:
Thanks veridis. Section C would probably be easier had I actually paid any attention during that part of the course. I have a book about the Muslim world around somewhere, so I might be able to do one of those questions reasonably competently.
did you download johns lecture notes for those weeks? question 15a is relevant to one of my questions so johns notes would be useful.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

veridis said:
did you download johns lecture notes for those weeks? question 15a is relevant to one of my questions so johns notes would be useful.
Unfortunately not. I assumed that his notes would be available during the exam period, so I only have my dodgy lecture notes, which basically consist of a large number of reminders to follow things up in the online notes. Ugh.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

How have people's take-homes gone?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Triangulum said:
How have people's take-homes gone?
I haven't started mine yet because I've een sick since Tuesday - and now I'm living by myself I haven't had anyone to take care of me. Blerugh I hate it.

I have 3 full days to study for 2 exams on Friday, one for a subject which I'm going well in, the other for a subject I'm completley FARKED for.

And I still feel like semi-death.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

ujuphleg said:
I haven't started mine yet because I've een sick since Tuesday - and now I'm living by myself I haven't had anyone to take care of me. Blerugh I hate it.

I have 3 full days to study for 2 exams on Friday, one for a subject which I'm going well in, the other for a subject I'm completley FARKED for.

And I still feel like semi-death.
Poor ujuphleg :(

My take-home is going awesomely. Hopefully I'll be done in the next 30 mins or so. Then I can be calm for a few days before the proper exams start to make me panic.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

how can u honestly be screwed for a take home exam? cant u just look the answer up in the book?

whats so cryptic about it? if the answers aren't in the notes how could anyone answer them?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

jb_nc said:
how can u honestly be screwed for a take home exam? cant u just look the answer up in the book?

whats so cryptic about it? if the answers aren't in the notes how could anyone answer them?
It's an Arts unit. It's not just about reciting facts from a textbook, it's about coming up with an argument based on a lot of diverse material.

Example question from mine (which I'm not answering): 'Discuss either the Reconquista in Spain or the career of the Normans in south Italy and Sicily as another aspect of the Latin expansionism embodied in the First Crusade.' Requires more than just factual knowledge to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)