::: official shit scaling of i.t. ::: numbers and all (1 Viewer)

taylor427

HSC
:mad1:

Mean Max. 99% 90% 75% 50% 25%
36.6 50.0 48.0 45.0 41.0 37.0 32.5 Industrial Technology HSC marks
16.7 39.7 37.1 30.3 23.5 15.9 9.2 uac scaleds
mean=average.. derr.
max=maximum mark acheiveable
99%= 99th percentile
90%= 90th percentile... and so on...

if you can get your mind around these figures [i can and i dropped maths]
they represent how badly our great practical subject has been scaled to the shithouse in 2006-

So there it is. b.s. if you ask me.

i <3 industrial, and this kinda scaling breaks my heart. [not to sound gay.]

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
in 2006 the max mark for industrial technology was 100%, it scaled down to 79.4% to contribute to your UAI. However it is imperative to compare this to something else, as I subject on its own has no meaning. Compare to chemistry 98% scaled to 100%. In chemistry you would need approx 84% to get a scaled mark of 79.4%.

However this is the top mark. The average marks scale even worse. The average 73.2% scales down to 33.4%! compared to chemistry where the average 74% scaled to 62.8%. Now we can see that 33.4% is substantially lower than 62.8%. Thats how bad this subject scales.

However I cannot stress enough, it is not the subject that causes the scaling. I used to have the view that some uni people look at the course and see how hard it is and then decide how much it scales. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! The scaling of a course solely depends on how the students in that course go. Industrial Technology scales so bad because the people who choose Industrial Technology generally do poor in all their other subjects (in terms of the other subjects scaled marks).

If you have any questions about this, i'll try to answer them.

taylor427

HSC
me121 said:
I used to have the view that some uni people look at the course and see how hard it is and then decide how much it scales. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! The scaling of a course solely depends on how the students in that course go. Industrial Technology scales so bad because the people who choose Industrial Technology generally do poor in all their other subjects (in terms of the other subjects scaled marks).
yeah, so thats still shit, like, sure you should e scaled down if you get average or worse i.t. marks, But i get 100% quite frequently for industrial, and it looks piss easy to get 99.9% or higher for everything in i.t. to come,
so, why does uac scale so badly for the 99th percentile.
i rekon, 100% shouldnt be scaled that badly.
but it doesnt matter,
im just dropping it.

But industrial is dead easy,
so if everyone got around 85-90, i guess it needs to be scaled... but not from 100 is my point i suppose... oh well doesnt matter.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
.. i don't think 100% should be scaled much.. but in my opinion they have the standards of this course too low. band 6 is not that hard to get.. they should make band 6 harder to get and hence give less band 6, that way, in the scaling algorithm, hopefully it won't get scaled much. but it has to scale the 100%, because people are getting 100% in I.T. but then doing poor in other subjects they have to scale down the 100%, so if BOS raised the level required for 100% then people that got 100% and also good in other subjects, then UAC could not scale the 100% as much.

taylor427

HSC
god damn your smart.

thansk for clearing all that up,
cause i have this heaps good i.t. teacher, but the only thing he does wrong is try and con everyone into keeping i.t. and saying it can do your uai some good, if you keep it and do well. - which it can, only if, as you say, all your other subjects are shit.

thanks me121

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
The trick isn't to do well in IT, it's to convince hundreds of very smart people at selective and private schools to do IT so it scales up ;)

taylor427

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
The trick isn't to do well in IT, it's to convince hundreds of very smart people at selective and private schools to do IT so it scales up ;)
hahhaha i do go to a private school [central coast grammar school] and every year we do get good results,

and get scaled to the shithouse.

SweetSeasons

HSC
taylor427 said:
:mad1:

Mean Max. 99% 90% 75% 50% 25%
36.6 50.0 48.0 45.0 41.0 37.0 32.5 Industrial Technology HSC marks
16.7 39.7 37.1 30.3 23.5 15.9 9.2 uac scaleds
mean=average.. derr.
max=maximum mark acheiveable
99%= 99th percentile
90%= 90th percentile... and so on...

if you can get your mind around these figures [i can and i dropped maths]
they represent how badly our great practical subject has been scaled to the shithouse in 2006-

So there it is. b.s. if you ask me.

i <3 industrial, and this kinda scaling breaks my heart. [not to sound gay.]
yeah I did IT in 04 and got 90 for it.. n some other good marks but my uai was shit., well not what i was expecting with my marks.. but it turns out my mark of 90 was scaled down to about a 60 when it went towards my uai..

taylor427

HSC
yeah, i am dropping it now so i can spend more time on all my other subjects,
i need more time to get better at modern and english, i suck at both.

and my i.t. teacher goes ape shit whenever he hears soemone say industrial makes your uai look like your dads age,
which it does.
then he went on and said "you only need a uai, if your going to uni"
and i go to a grammar school, and everyone is pretty much expected to go to uni!

SweetSeasons

HSC
no use being at school if you're not doing what you enjoy...

Im gonna be a wood work teacher.. n part of the reason why I reckon that will be great is the kids that do it in their HSC years, really love it..

taylor427

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
no use being at school if you're not doing what you enjoy...

Im gonna be a wood work teacher.. n part of the reason why I reckon that will be great is the kids that do it in their HSC years, really love it..
i used to really love i.t. but lately its become a burden, and i really need a uai over 84 at least. which i.t. cannot help with, and lately its lost the fun of it.

SweetSeasons

HSC
dru711 said:
Just a question; are these scalings for the I.T. Graphics side of the subject too?
In the graphics catagory u r expected to design an entire (usually architectural) structure in ur HSC yr... n thats not as easy as it sounds!!
im doin math ext n that seems much less labourous than I.T graphics.. So y does it get scaled so badly?! (graphics,im talkin about)

Some dodgy stuff must be going on with the scalings!
all it scales the same i'm pretty sure

SweetSeasons

HSC
taylor427 said:
i used to really love i.t. but lately its become a burden, and i really need a uai over 84 at least. which i.t. cannot help with, and lately its lost the fun of it.
My UAI was close to 79.. in 04.. which was a year where it was hard to get a high uai.. like if i had of done my hsc last year I would have got 83....

If you love it and you do well in it, then stick with it. I don't regret keeping IT at all.. but then.. maybe thats cause I wanna be a timber teacher lol.

If you get 2 high 70's, 2 mid to high 80's and a 90.. you'll be sweet for an 80ish something UAI

me121

Premium Member
HSC
dru711 said:
Just a question; are these scalings for the I.T. Graphics side of the subject too?
In the graphics catagory u r expected to design an entire (usually architectural) structure in ur HSC yr... n thats not as easy as it sounds!!
im doin math ext n that seems much less labourous than I.T graphics.. So y does it get scaled so badly?! (graphics,im talkin about)

Some dodgy stuff must be going on with the scalings!

1. yes all industries of IT scale the same.

2. I totally agree with you. I am also doing Ext 1 maths, and graphics is much more demanding in terms of workload, esp the major project.

3. "(usually architectural)".. it can be anything, architectural, product, mechanical system.. actually in my graphics class, about 15 people, only two are doing architectural, most do product.. ha.. I'm doing a watch, i have finished it all though, but i have no idea of the standards required. i don't know if my work is band 2 or 6..

4. "So y does it get scaled so badly" Scaling is not a measure of how hard a subject is. It is a measure of the quality of the candidature.

5. "Some dodgy stuff must be going on with the scalings!" nothing is dodgy when it comes to the scaling process.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
its a watch.... not a sports watch.. but a metal one.. i'll post up a picture after the major project has been marked.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
... its too long to wait till after its due.. so i posted them here.. i don't think there is any rule saying that i cannot publish my work prior to submission... i hope not anyway...

...i am happy to answer any questions..

also after its due.. i'll probably post up the whole management folio + production folio (ie. 223pgs + [40]pgs)

crazysambo

HSC
honestly its teh best subject but it takes so much bloddy time. i wasted thw 2 weeks of my holidays makin my table when i coulda been studying for trials

me121

Premium Member
HSC
dru711 said:
looks good man, but hw r u planning to make a prototype of it?
n did u make a 3D model of it on like ProDesktop or sumthing?
i outsourced the prototype to a company that had a 3D Printer. The only reason i couldn't do it my self is that i nor my school had access to a rapid prototyping machine.

i did the 3D model in Rhinoceros. and fixed up 2D drawings.. eg added dimensions and title block in AutoCAD 2007. i did the renderings in 3ds max 9. haha. the on in the picture took about 2 days on 4 computers to render at high res + high quality.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
dru711 said:
im extrememly confused... so wats the actual prototype of the watch made from...?
well its made out of some epoxy resin. not metal. it's white. just go to wikipedia and search for 3D Printing.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Scaling of Industrial Tech

Original conversation via PM. Posted with permission.

me121 said:
However I cannot stress enough, it is not the subject that causes the scaling. I used to have the view that some uni people look at the course and see how hard it is and then decide how much it scales. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! The scaling of a course solely depends on how the students in that course go. Industrial Technology scales so bad because the people who choose Industrial Technology generally do poor in all their other subjects (in terms of the other subjects scaled marks).
osamaelias said:
Hey man , that was one of your previous messages in one of your posts.

I talked to my career advicer about ITT , and he is like if you like the subject and can get good well in it. Then take it.

I have a UAI aim of 96+. So i was just wondering what your thoughts are with it , scaling etc. Because i really do not know lol .

This year i take Chemistry , Biology , ITT, 3 Unit math , English.

Thanks brother.

me121 said:
It really depends on how good you can do in ITT. In 2007 the highest UAI of a person that did Industrial Technology was 98.30 (all the industries are scaled the same so its not the case that just say timber is any better or worse than multimedia or graphics).

So it is possible to get 96+ with ITT, but you will need to score pretty good marks in ITT along with good marks in your other subjects.

I strongly suggest you play around with SAM, but some marks in and see what it says your UAI would have been for 2005. That way you can see what kind of marks you would need to get for the UAI you want.

For example in 2007 in Industrial Technology a HSC mark of 90 is equivalent to a 75 in Mathematics (i.e. they would both contribute the same to your UAI). Similarly a HSC mark of 99 in IT was equivalent to about 88 in Mathematics.
osamaelias said:
Just another note , is it possibl to get 99 UAI , with ITT ?
Because i hope next year i take 4Unit math , i thought maybe it can help me abit
me121 said:
Well yes, and no. You see scaling varies year to year, so its impossible to say what it will do the next year. Although if you look at the trends it doesn't vary very much.

Here is a list of the highest UAI of a person that did Industrial Technology:
2007 => 98.30
2006 => 96.45
2005 => 98.00
2004 => 99.50
2003 => ??
2002 => 98.40
2001 => ??

Now this is not the highest possible UAI, it is just the best that anyone could do. That's not to say that you could do better.

Its hard to say, but enter some marks into SAM and see what UAI you would get with certain marks.

My 2007 UAI was 91.30 with the following marks,
Chem 84
English Std 73
Ind Tech 95
Math 94
Math Ex1 47/50
Phys 89

But I also did Eng Std with a crap mark, so it scaled bad as well. Also my marks were kinda ordinary as well.

Just type some marks into SAM and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)